RA Coaching Forum

Welcome (Read 610 times)

Scout7

Well, you're probably here for reason. So, let's hear it.

Now that was a bath...

Beautiful forum you have here. I am requesting the services of an online coach. I reckon a need a few more weeks to fully recover from my leg injury and to get back in shape before I let one of you mad men/women reprogram me into a lean mean, race thrashing, running machine. Thanks for setting this up Scout. Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Why is it sideways?

I'm willing to offer coaching advice and also curious to track the improvements of others and apply them to my own training. Right now I'm experimenting with running higher miles with less intensity than I have before in preparation for the Country Music Marathon April 28th. I've been running for 18 years or so and have competed in high school, college, on the local road scene, and in a couple of trail 50k's. I also coached a high school team for three years. Over the next couple of years I'd like to chase down my old college 5k PR and run a quality marathon.
        Scout7

I'd be willing to offer any advice as well. In terms of background, I ran in high school, then a little in the Army. I've mostly been doing a lot of research on my own to find different techniques to try out. I'm interested in moving up to ultras here soon, and would like to qualify for Boston (MAYBE in Dec., but we'll see). At this point, I'm thinking this is going to be pretty free-form. As we get more people, we might want to split things into distance-specific, topic specific (distance, HR, speed, etc.), or even person specific (but I'm not as big a fan of that). All in all, I'm interested to see how all this works out.

Prophet!

Hey what an awesome group...(with awesome voluntary instructors)... While not as kooky nor as hot as claire, i'd like to be able to get some great feedbacks from this forum. I was never a runner...played lots of basketball, soccer, badminton, but endurance was always my downfall. I've been consistently running since last June, did my, first marathon last December in 5:08, realizing how under-prepared i was but had tons of fun doing it. Now i've been able to build up to two consecutive 40m weeks, feeling slightly beat up but not bad. Current schedule is 6 days a week, with one or two tempo runs, and one moderate long runs up to 12 miles so far. Goals - The ultimate goal this year would the rematch with Honolulu Marathon on December...I'd like to be able to break 4 hrs..but will be happy with a strong finish of 4:20. I'd like to race all other distances as well. Upcoming race is a 10.8 mile race this weekend, a 10 Mile around the Kilauea Caldera (running in an active volcano, awesome) in April. I've learned a lot from RA forums and hopefully will learn more by joining this group.

madness baby

I'm all yours, coaches! My running history is pretty short. I started running about 5 months ago. Right now, I'm recovering from a marathon and looking for my next race to train for (most likely a half). I haven't done any speed work or hill training. SO, some coaching sounds like the inspiration I need to get serious. I also need to work on "listening" better, so if Mikey's the psychologist here, maybe he can help me be less stubborn. Anyway, I'm all yours, coaches.
              deb
              mikeymike

Oh like I need another group in my life. And this one doesn't even offer name calling or trash-talking. Is there beer at least? Sheesh. Anyhoo. Hello my name is Mike. I ran track in high school for an extremely successful and pressure-packed program. I never ran XC though because it took me until my senior year to figure out that maybe I wasn't built for football and that running was my best sport. I ran the 800 mostly. I was a decent but not outstanding runner on a very good team. Due to a last minute decision to go to Providence, my college running career never got started. So through my 20's I ran a bit for fitness and played other sports. I always owned a pair of running shoes and knew where they were just in case. In 1999, at age 29, I decided to cross "Run a Marathon" off my list of things to do before I die. I was living in California and my buddy Kevin from college, who'd run a couple, talked me into it. I think I had about 10 weeks to "train" and I had never run more than 10 miles in my life when I signed up for Big Sur. We met on the weekends for long runs (I think we even worked up to a 20 miler) and I ran a bit during the week on my own. Not sure how many miles I ran in my biggest week but I'm sure I never cracked 40 miles. Of course I went out too fast--running the first half at low 7 pace--blew up violently and was utterly humbled by the marathon distance. The last 5 miles or so took about an hour, involved a lot of walking, retching violently and making deals with God. But I finished. My time was about 3:40 and I knew that I would try that again someday and do it right next time. And there was a spark, but not yet a fire. A year later I was back in Massachusetts--in the spring of 2000 now--and I had scarcely run a step since Big Sur. I was working for a small start-up company and it was the height of the dot.com bubble. I was working big hours, traveling like crazy, eating and drinking way too much and generally heading down the path of becoming everything I said I'd never be. One Saturday morning I woke up with a hangover. I think my wife was downstairs with our kids--a 2 y.o and a newborn at the time--letting me sleep in after a long hard week. I sat up and reached for the glass of water next to my bed and under it was my bib # from Big Sur. I was in the worst shape of my life where just a year earlier I had at least been fit enough to finish a marathon under my own power. Something snapped in my brain. I got up, put on my running shoes and went down stairs. On the way out the door I yelled to my wife, "going for a run!" She yelled back, "A RUN???" I ran about 8 miles that first day out. I couldn't walk for a couple of days but when I could, I ran again, though not as far. I did this every few days until it didn't hurt anymore. Then I started running pretty much every day--5 or 6 days a week anyway. I took my stuff to work and ran at lunch. I took my stuff on the road and ran on the road. After a couple of months of this, I decided maybe now would be a good time to check, "Run the BOSTON marathon" off my list of things to do before I die. But I needed to qualify first. I called up one of my HS track buddies, Sean, and asked him if he was in. He'd run a marathon with his wife once. He was in. We decided to run Chicago and this time I was going to train right. I found a training program on the Greater Lowell Road Runners website written by John Barbour and I followed it as best I could. A few weeks in and Sean got injured. I was on my own. I decided not to go to Chicago but to run a local marathon. I decide to run Baystate, which is actually the marathon my training program was geared for. I was so blissfully unaware of how hard it is for most people to qualify for Boston that I never really let myself worry about the magnitude of it. I just followed the plan as best I could. I think I got up to about 55 miles at my peak. I didn't do any of the tune-up races though, I just didn't have time and I was always so beat up from the miles anyway. I ran one time trial--a 5K in about 19:49 on the track and that was everything I had. I knew that didn't exactly predict a 3:10 marathon but I figured I wasn't doing any speedwork at all and I was adjusting to a new all-time mileage high every week and everything hurt all the time so maybe it would all just work out. I'll spare you the details because this is already a novel, but I needed to break 3:10 and I ran 3:09:46. I was in. And it was the greatest day of my athletic life. And now there was a fire. Over the next 4 years I made steady improvements, kept increasing my training volume and intensity, read a lot, ran more, talked to as many experienced runners as I could, raced a ton and worked out with a couple of different clubs. In 2004 I had a break out year on the roads, running PRs at every distance but the marathon before it all got too much. In the fall of 2004 I decided to stop racing for a while and a while became a long while and I let my training go to hell until about June of last year. Now I'm back running and I'm determined to run well while fitting running into the rest of my life and not the other way around. My goals now are to approach the times I was running on the roads for 5k to 1/2 marathon, break 5 minutes in the mile and run a decent marathon. I'd like to go back to Boston in April of 2008 and hopefully not have it be 85 degrees this time. I'm not sure at this point whether I'm more qualified to be a coach or to have a coach but I'm open to lending my experiences wherever I can to help people improve in the sport. Modified to add: sheesh thats a lot of words. Sorry.

Runners run

Can I be the resident lurker? Wink My goal is to qualify for Boston at the Huntington Beach marathon next February. So you guys have an entire year to work your magic. I also might just spy on all of you and claim your advice as my own. \ Some background: I am 25, a runner for the last 18 months, former couch potato. This is my first experience being active and athletic, and I have no coaches aorund me or previous experience to pull from. I started with the couch to 5K program, and progressed on my own just adding what I could when I could. About 10 months after starting the program I ran my first 5K in 26:36 and a week later I ran my first 10K race in 52:06. During all of last summer I built up my mileage, but pretty much stayed below 40 miles a week the entire time. I've never been able to get past the 'injury point', which for me seems to be 40mpw. I've always thrown in speed work and long runs, though nothing nearly as focused or exact as most programs you see. In September I ran my second 10K (4 months after the first) and finished in 45:17. I signed up for a marathon when my weekly long runs got to 16 miles. Yup, I wasn't training for anything specific, I was just running longer and more because I liked it. Who would have thought? So here I am, 18 months after starting out, 90 pounds less than my all time high, with my first marathon under my belt (January 7, 2007 ~ 3:59:18). I know that shaving nearly 20 minutes off my time is reaching, but I was able to achieve that time even coming off of 2 back to back injuries and a horrible case of food poisoning 2 days prior to the race. The only thing standing in my way is my right knee; I have very little miniscus there thanks to a surgery when I was a pre-teen, and now have mild-moderate pain that comes on randomly. I have good days and bad days, and if I can handle another marathon training program I'd like to see what my body can do as far as time. One of the hardest things for me has been nutrition (what to eat, when, how much) and how to avoid overuse injuries. Most of my running is done on a treadmill, and I have been really focusing on running slower in an attempt to keep the aches and pains to a minimum. Like I said, I may just lurk for a while, but any advice you guys have will be appreciated. (And Mike, Bug Sur? As your first? Man, that takes guts! I live in that area, and hope to do it in 2 years, but even the thought is enough to scare me.)
                  "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                    I started running in the army. We were running every day and I got sick of it, so I didn't run again for a few years. But I realised that I really enjoy mountain running so I started doing that a couple of years as an alternative to hiking. I never managed to be very consistent about it though. I am interested in biking, running and swimming and I like to strength train. My aim is to slowly build to a program where I do 2-3 sessions of each of those each week. And to participate in a sprint triathlon this summer. As far as injuries are concerned, I have had my share - a small fracture on the left heel in a training accident in the army (but sometimes I can feel it), a partial ligament tear on the left knee in a skiing accident, partial tears in shoulders after falling down some stairs and grabbing on the handles in mid-air (took me 1-2 years to rehab that and I think I never fully recovered) - compared to all that, some minor ITBS and MTSS issues I have now seem like nothing! So what will be the format of this? People posting specific questions or people posting a report at the end of the week and any idle coaches taking a look and commenting?
                      Well, I'm here to present a coaching challenge! I started running 4/05 - a year later, shortly after I peaked at 40 mile weeks I sustained an injury deemed "miscellaneous soft tissue injury" that benched me x13 weeks. Major training error as I thought I could run same mileage on pavement that I could indoors - didn't know better. I also severely over pronate. I now wear custom orthotics. I finally got my mileage back up to 30, and was going to maintain at that level until the summer. Problem - I am sitting here with my bone scan film in my hot little hands, and it is apparent to me(OK, I know I'm not a doc) that I not only have a stess fracture now - probably about 3 - 4 weeks old, BUT - I can see 2 areas of increased uptake in the area that I sustanined injury to last year. Had I known, I would have immediately stopped running at the 1st sign of pain(started in early January). Anyways, I see an orthopedic doc tomorrow, and will also be evaluated for leg length discrepancy. As soon as I get the OK to return to running, I am going to need to proceed very cautiously. My goal is to slowly get back up to 25 MPW and probably hold there for an extended period of time. I am using the down time to really focus on nutriton, strength training, and maintaining aerobic fitness. I would love suggestions as to running specific exercises to focus on as well. Sigh - back to the pool. I have been benched for 3 weeks, I am hoping that I will be able to re-start training early April. Just think - getting to coach someone from scratch, besides, if anyone ever needed a coach.... Sigh - back to the pool Roll eyes Thanks, Cheryl

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Boog

I too would like to be one of the guinea pigs. I've been tracking my progress on RA for a couple months and reading as much as possible but never actually posting. Lurking in the shadows if you will. Anyway, I think this is exactly what i need....a little coaching. I've been running for almost a year and finished the Marine Corp Marathon last October in 4:09. I was happy to finish but a little disappointed that I fell short of my goal time of 3:45. Training went to crap the two months before the MCM due to injuries and just plain laziness. Now that I've finished the marathon and don't HAVE to run I find myself wanting to run. My biggest problem is keeping myself from doing too much too soon and getting injured. Reading the posts before mine I see a common theme....hitting the injury wall around 40 mpw. It's happened to me twice now. Nothing major that requires medical attention but enough of a signal to slow me down. Originally I was hoping to run a marathon in May and the MCM again in October but now I think the best plan is to concentrate on doing the MCM right. Like with the help of an online coach. Big grin The one immediate question I have is how do I set a goal time for my next marathon. I don't just want to say "shave 15 minutes off my first effort" because I think I can do much better than that. My training was poor the first time around and I think I've made great strides in my pace since then. I like doing speed work and also hitting the hills. The problem is keeping myself injury free. I want to set a challenging goal but not an impossible goal.

Now that was a bath...

Wow, it seems that we definitely have an interest! So let's clarify the situation so far... Looking for coaching or advice Claire (Kooky2003) Steve (SurfNRun) Deb (runchirun) (CallieB) Cheryl (Chenille) (Boog) Offering to coach or advise Jeff (Jeff) Tim (Scout7) Mike (mikeymike) Christos - I am not certain whether you are looking for a coach or looking to advise others, or both, but my idea of how this forum would work best for me is for me to have one particular person as a coach. I can ask questions anytime on the General Running board and illicit responses from the whole gang. For me this is more about seeing where someone with more knowledge than myself can take me if they control/advise me on my running schedule. I know a little about Fartleks and Tempos but I need a bit of help figuring out how and when to chuck those in to my program. Of course this will also be a great place to throw random training questions to the wind but I think it will be more unique and more interesting to analyse, if we form coach/trainee relationships. Come on potential coaches...don't be shy. We need to squeeze a few more of you out of the woodwork. Has anyone seen the Gorilla of late? Claire xxx
                        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

You missed a category: People signed up for the group so they can read the threads more easily and maybe learn something themselves:
                            Wingz Last I saw of Jake he was still logging runs but hasn't been posting over on the 2000 mile club even...

Roads were made for journeys...

I can ask questions anytime on the General Running board and illicit responses from the whole gang. For me this is more about seeing where someone with more knowledge than myself can take me if they control/advise me on my running schedule. .... but I think it will be more unique and more interesting to analyse, if we form coach/trainee relationships.
                              yes, this is how I would like to see this work as well - if the coaches are willing!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

I'm mostly looking for advice, especially for running. I could do do some coaching swimming, weight training and biking. But of course I am not a certified coach.