RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's Ultra Marathon training journal (Read 757 times)

Well I am deviating a bit from my training plan, but that was to be expected during this time. I did an unplanned progression run yesterday. FELT AWESOME!! This morning I was planning on a nice easy recovery run since I was going to be running with DH. Didn't turn out that way. GREAT run though. Got in a nice short "progression" run. Splits were 1: 9:27 2: 9:13 3: 9:04 4: 8:58 5: 8:28 Last .26 7:21 Nice good run for Dh's first run since the HM on Sunday. Though I shook my head at him and told him he needs to stop taking pages out of my book lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well it's week 3 of Ultra training. Monday I did 5.25 miles. Tuesday 10 miles Today I did a 7 mile progression run . It was supposed to be 7-9 miles with middle 3 at MP however I never seem to be able to do everything the way it's supposed to lol. Tomorrow will be rest day. Friday 2 hours of running. Saturday 3 1/2 hours of running and Sunday off. Other news. Finished Marathon in 4:03:08 The time really suprised me with how horrible I felt during mile 17-22. I remember thinking there was no way I would be in under 4:20. My own fault for doing something I KNEW better the night before marathon (ate at a pasta buffet and pasta has never agreed with me when running long distance) I may or may not write a race report, just not feeling it right now. Looks like i have an 50k in Philly in July to replace the one I wanted to do in Texas around the same time. I'm also thinking of doing a new marathon that's around 2 hours from where i live the last weekend of this month. I'm feeling really good right now. It's going to be hard (at least for now) to take two days off a week. I'm sure I'll need that time when I get to the 4 hour and 5 hour back to back runs.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Hi Pam, I looked up your time, but didn't want to post anything about it, not being sure if you were happy with it or not. I do find it amazing that you are back running so much just a few days after the race and feeling good! Did you end up running the race with Mississippi? More details please! Great job btw!
          Hey Bob! Ok I’ll write a bit more. This may be long. What went wrong. Well I went to dinner with a bunch of friends and ended up going to a pasta buffet. First off pasta has NEVER worked well for me. I tried it the night before my first half marathon I ended up getting so sick during the marathon as well as afterwards (I’m sure there were other factors involved). After that I swore off pasta before any race or long run. Anyway it had been a long day and we had walked a ways to get to this place in the cold wind that instead of waiting to eat somewhere else afterwards I just decided to take a chance. Race day. I bought a hat the day before cause thunderstorms were predicted for race day. Now I’ve never ever ran with a hat before so this was going to be something new. Anyways I had made plans to meet Michelle down in the lobby around 6:45 or so and that went as plan. Wasn’t long before we all headed out to get in our corals. TALK about not easy! It was so crowded when I got around the 4:30 pace group I noticed Michelle wasn’t around. Talk about panicking. Well I figured she would head to the 4 hour pace group and I was right. Finally race started and everyone started the march to the starting line. Now the plan was to do 9:00 minute miles or so for the first 20 (nothing slower than 9:15) then kick it up a notch. First mile was right on target, however we did speed up a bit for the next 3 miles or so. Weather was good (a little warmer than I was prepared for) with no signs of it raining. Good thing I wore my hat lol. Got into my shot blocks around between mile 6-7, though I only had one. I’ve been having problems with the shot blocks during my long runs when I have more than one at a time. Run was going smooth, though Michelle was having a hard time slowing down and sticking with me. Something about chatting with others who are going faster and next thing you know she’s pacing along with them. I think around mile 7 is when NJ Joe passed me and saw Michelle and said Hi . Not sure which mile marker it was when Michelle had to use the porta pot. We kind of made a deal that I would keep running and she would catch up to me. I wouldn’t of made that deal if I didn’t know for certain that later I would be the one using the porta pot and trying to catch up. The spectators really helped make this course. It was nice hearing people call out go rockenmom and go maniac. I think it was around mile 8 or so that we started pacing with the 4 hour pacers. They were going a bit faster than the 9:09 they were supposed to hold. Surprised me a bit but figured if the pacer was right on then we only needed to beat her by 26 seconds. I had another gel around mile 9-10 and not long after mile 11 my stomach started hurting. Nothing too bad, figured it would ease up. It was nice coming back to the board walk to end the first loop. Seing the spectators and hearing all the cheering (more for the half marathoners that were about to finish). My stomach had eased up a bit so I was feeling good. We finished the first half in 2:01:23. By mile 14 my stomach was starting to hurt again . By then I had finished 3 of my shot blocks. We were still right behind ( literally ) the 4 hour pace group and I was having thoughts of what to do . By 14.5 miles I couldn’t keep up with Michelle and deal with my stomach so I slowly slowed down and close to mile 15 I yelled to Michelle to go ahead. She was still right behind the 4 hour pace group and looking strong. Figured if she stuck with them that if they paced like they were supposed to and if she could keep the pace she would have no problem accomplishing her goal. By mile 18 I was getting bad enough cramps that I was holding my stomach. I’ll never forget the porta stop at mile 18 cause that was when I considered DNFing. One thing I was sooooooo glad about during this race is they had PLENTY of porta johns and NO lines!! Finally got back “slogging” not really paying attention to anything other than focusing on continuing. I walked through the next few water stops and used the porta john a couple more times. By then I had no clue what time it was, what my pace was, though I do recall thinking that I was probably going to finish around 4:20 or so (seemed like forever since I had seen Michelle) Around mile 23 or so my stomach started calming down. HALLELUJAH I was back in. The relief I felt was undescribable. Of course that’s around the time I started feeling the burning on my feet. Nothing like running on concrete/asphault and COMPLETELY FLAT to make your feet start talking. I didn’t care it was much better than what I had dealt with for the last 7 or so miles. Got the biggest surprise of my life around mile 24. MICHELLE! I was like YOU ARE NOT supposed to be here! You are SUPPOSED to be crossing the finish line. At this time I still thought it was a bit later than it was, I also half expected her to be closer to 3:52. Well turns out she couldn’t keep the pace and had slowed down. I have a feeling that she passed the 4 hour pace group instead of sticking right behind them (I’ll have to ask and find out). Well even though it meant she wasn’t going to reach her goal I was so happy to see her. I still hadn’t seen my family and was kind of upset by that. The closer we got to the beach the faster I started going. By mile 25 I was all smiles and hauling ass (at least it felt that way) The nice thing about this course is you can see the finish line well before you hit mile 26. Mile 26 was probably my fastest mile. I was feeling strong and was very happy with that fact. The crowd helped keep that feeling. I finally saw my family right before crossing the finish line. WHAT a GREAT SIGHT!!! Oh and passing people left and right at the end NEVER gets old!! Finish time was 4:03:08 MUCH better than I had expected. It turned out that 3 of the 4 other racers had gotten sick and later that evening one of the racers dd’s got super sick. One thing I will never do is have pasta again before a race. Also I think shot blocks are a thing of the past for me. Time to find something else.

Here's some pictures BEFORE splitting with Michelle Photobucket Photobucket This is where Michelle was up further chatting with another woman. Talk about a dorky pose lol Photobucket Picture describes EXACTLY how I was feeling at the time (somewhere between 18.5 and 19.5 I believe) Photobucket Now my finishing photo's. You can tell how much better I was feeling Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Today's run went GREAT! It was pouring like crazy so I figured I'd crawl inside my head while listening to some tunes and get the miles in. Still can't believe how good legs are feeling though we'll see tomorrow after my 3 1/2 hour run. So far so good Smile

Well not quite 3 and a half hours of running DONE! Besides being dehydrated, dealing with the walkers put me in a bad mood so I just wanted the run to be over. I have NOTHING against people walking, however when in a public park that people walk AND run there should be some kind of work together kind of thing. I made sure that I was going the OPPOSITE direction so that they would have plenty of time to see me but they didn't even bother to move an inch. In fact most weren't even paying attention to anything in front of them. Grrrrrrrrr. MOST runners would NEVER do that, no matter how many were running together! MTA: I ran into them between 17 and 18 miles into my run hence the faster pace. I was having to run in the grass and I wasn't too happy! Here are my mile splits. 1 9:48 1.00 9.2 133 2 9:21 1.00 8.3 137 3 9:53 1.00 8.5 139 4 9:19 1.00 9.2 138 5 9:19 1.00 10.1 130 6 9:21 1.00 11.6 132 7 9:15 1.00 8.7 134 8 9:18 1.00 8.9 134 9 9:07 1.00 8.5 131 10 9:12 1.00 8.3 134 11 9:17 1.00 10.7 125 12 9:19 1.00 8.5 130 13 9:21 1.00 8.3 133 14 9:08 1.00 8.1 135 15 8:58 1.00 9.2 133 16 8:48 1.00 11.0 137 17 8:57 1.00 11.0 135 18 8:26 1.00 9.2 132 19 8:35 1.00 9.6 134 20 8:39 1.00 9.2 132 21 8:35 1.00 8.9 130 22 8:20 1.00 8.7 131 23 0:45 0.10 8.7 10 Forerunner Laps Loading...Laps triggered by your Garmin Forerunner

Damn nice run, Pam! Have I mentioned you are awesome? Oh yeah. I just did. Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

So I saw you mention that you will be doing a 24 hour format race to replace El Scorcho? Sorry we won't see you in Fort Worth. But I understand. Lot of money for a race that is basically a training run for you. Does the 24 hour one have 12 and 6 hour categories also? If so it sounds similar to the Ultracentric run I did last November. Fun in a different way from a normal race!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Damn nice run, Pam! Have I mentioned you are awesome? Oh yeah. I just did. Big grin
                      THANKS MIKE Blush Big grin

So I saw you mention that you will be doing a 24 hour format race to replace El Scorcho? Sorry we won't see you in Fort Worth. But I understand. Lot of money for a race that is basically a training run for you. Does the 24 hour one have 12 and 6 hour categories also? If so it sounds similar to the Ultracentric run I did last November. Fun in a different way from a normal race!
                        I'm still sad about not going to Texas, but with dh completely going on his own with his business going away at that time just isn't an option. I don't think they have a 12 hour or 6 hour catagory. Here's the link http://www.20in24.com/main/areas/race.info/lone.ranger.html This (Lone Rangers can start and stop at any point during the 24 hours to rest, eat, sleep, chill, get a massage, etc. Lloyd Hall is the central hub, but there are three additional re-energizing stations for support.) is what got me. I can finish the 50k or so and then kick back and relax and if I have the energy walk another loop lol

Day 1 of week 4 of training. On schedule was a 5-8 mile run. I ended up doing a nice 8 mile progression run. Hadn't really planned it but like the rest of the times when I run with dh, it just ended up that way. Here's the mile splits Lap (#) Time (m:s) Distance (mi ) M Spd (mph) Energy (Cal) 1 9:34 1.00 11.0 94 2 9:16 1.00 7.6 97 3 9:06 1.00 8.1 97 4 8:57 1.00 8.1 97 5 8:47 1.00 9.6 98 6 8:37 1.00 10.3 99 7 8:17 1.00 8.9 98 8 7:47 1.00 10.5 97 Forerunner Laps Loading... I have to say I'm pretty pleased with how I'm feeling. Other than a little tired today, rest of me feels great Smile

This week I'm going to be mixing things up. Looks like I'll be doing my 2 hour and 1.5 hour runs tomorrow and Wed. 5 miles on Friday and 6 miles on Saturday. I've gotta work things so that in a couple weeks I can get my 4 hour run and the 3.5 hour run done on a Wed and Thursday due to heavy plans on weekend.

btb1490

Hi Pam, just wanted to say HI! Hope you had a happy Mother's Day!
                                Hi Pam, just wanted to say HI! Hope you had a happy Mother's Day!
                                HI BOB!! Thanks hun Smile I had a great Mother's Day!