RA Coaching Forum

Muse Runner's 10k Training Log (Read 1627 times)

muse_runner

keep running.

Today I am going out for 15 miles. Maybe less. I don't know. I'm sure drinking 3/4 of a bottle of wine last night doesn't help for my run today... Roll eyes I slept awesome though! Next monday I start up with a more structured program integrating my dreaded speed workouts and threshold runs. Everything is with my heart rate monitor, as I have done before. I'm gonna post everything here 'cause there are some smartie pants runners here who may be able to help me. And by the way I'm not too fast. But that's what keeps me motivated! If I were fast naturally I'd not want to run. That's just how I operate Smile
    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
    muse_runner

keep running.

Did my speedworkout today. 8x400 with warm up and cool down. All intervals were exactly as predicted. All intervals were identical to the second except the last one where I went all out and took off 4 seconds from all the rest. Warm up and cool down felt easy. Some intervals felt slower than others, some faster but I was exact in my pacing. Shocked TO THE SECOND! My heart rate was as predicted. The time it took to drop to 75% of max BPM was also predictable. I have made myself into a predictable mess of running calculators. Damn straight I have! This workout is easy compared to trail running. Realization: speedwork is fun. Running hilly trails is the worst kind of fun ever. I am rusty though. Tomorrow is easy running. Thursday is tempo. This 10k training will be a breeze! HOORAY!
      running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
      muse_runner

keep running.

Oh but I almost slipped in the mud on the track. It's a sand track and was wet with water. Next week I'm going to the all weather track Smile I am sure I'll "PR" on my intervals due to not being as careful about slipping an falling on my ass. I realized today that I ran my 1st mile of my last 10k probably at about 90-92% of my max HR. Let's just say that my repeats felt easier than my first mile of my last 10k. The first mile was uphill so maybe that has something to do with it. Regardless, I am working on pacing Smile YAY for me!
        Scout7

Hills are always gonna through your HR off. That's one reason why I struggle with HR training....The only flat areas around here are the tracks, and even some of those are suspect.
          mikeymike

What pace (in terms of race paces) did you do those 400s? I did 8 x 400 at 2-mile with equal time recovery jogs and I am still feeling it. Well I should say I was aiming for 2-mile pace and went a tad under. I was aiming for 83 per 400 and wound up averaging 80 (all were within a second of each other with the last one 78.) I was not sore on today's long run but my legs were definitely a bit heavy and still had no pop. I was going to do a progression of 8 x 400, 5 x 600, 4 x 800 at 2 mile pace over 6-7 weeks. Now I think I need to do the 8 x 400 again and do it a little slower before I move on... Anyway you're a few years younger so you'll probably recover faster than me. Nice workout! You lost me on the HRM stuff though. Not my area...Scout can help you there.

Runners run

Wasatch Speedgoat

Awesome workouts and good running, Muse... Here's a workout I used to run with my old Boston club, the Cambridge Sports Union while getting ready for the racing season. This workout used to kill me, but also made me strong and fast. We'd warm up for 20 minutes or so jogging around the MIT track, then run one mile in 5:20, mile 2 in 6:30 (recovery), mile three in 5:10 and mile 4 in 6:30, then jog another 20 minutes for cooldown. This doesn't sound hard, but with the recoveries so quick you'd be dying during that mile three trying to recover, then have to jump right into a 5:10 mile. Those were on Thursdays, on Tuesdays we'd usually do 2 sets of ladders. 400 to 1600 and back. This was the Master's team that did this together and on the mile repeat workouts we'd each lead one lap to teach pacing. We finished 2nd in most of the Grand Prix races, no one could touch the Greater Lowell Road Runners back then with John Barbour leading them. I miss those days... I tried running with a HR monitor for awhile, but prefer RPE. Steve

Life is short, play hard!

muse_runner

keep running.

Gosh people, I'm slow! I am not a speed girl at all. I am a genetically inclined distance/high mileage girl. Smile Thanks Mom! I always ran more than my XC team. I don't know if it will help me but heck, I'll try. Right now I'm ravenous though. Miles per week wise, I went from 33, 38, 43, 45, 48 and I'm now on another week of 46-47 miles. I feel good but my appetite is blazing. and i'm trying to shed more fat for racing so it's annoying and it's just not gonna happen this week until my system adapts. I hit like 55 miles training for my marathon last November so I can handle the miles now. But I'm soooo hungry now. I ran each repeat too slow (I realize now) and didn't get my heart rate up to 91% of max until the last oh... 300 meters. It should have been more painful. It really wasn't too bad. I kind of wish I didn't make this thread 'cause I'm too embarassed to even say how slow i am. Sad Next time! Smile
                Scout7

Muse, if it helps, I've been getting more ravenous. And also, there's a reason why I haven't done any speed work.

Why is it sideways?

I feel good but my appetite is blazing.
                    Tell me about it. When I'm not running, I'm eating. 4 meals a day. With snacks in-between. Milkshakes. Ice cream. I have a stretch of time on Tuesdays when I teach and then take a seminar. I can't eat from 12:00 until 6pm. By the end of the class all I can think about is food. For what it's worth (we all have different bodies), I eat when I'm hungry, but I'm good at stopping when I'm full. This seems like it works for me in terms of maintaining strength and a good running weight. But then again, I'm just a naturally skinny dude.
                      . But then again, I'm just a naturally skinny dude.
                      I hate people like you. Wink I get really hungry when my mileage goes up, and what sycks even more than that is that the hunger doesn't go away right away when my mileage goes back down. Coming off the marathon I've gained 6 pounds because my body still wants to eat the same amount of food while doing less exercise. And Muse, I am slow, too, especially compared to these speed demons. I see speed workouts posted mentioning 6 minute miles and such, and I'm just happy when I get down to 8 min miles. My normal workouts are 9-9:30/mile.
                      "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Wasatch Speedgoat

Speed is all relative. Take a look at my log and you'll mostly see 9's and even 15's (really long and slow on the weekend long runs). Those times that I mentioned were an example of what I was doing back in the 80's... I am older and slower now, but working on trying to get a bit quicker for a fall BQ. We'll see... Just increasing your miles will get you faster, which you are doing. Don't try to run other's times, but following your HR monitor is a great way of doing it. If you are using a formula to find your max, you could be way off. I have a method given to me by an Olympic cyclist, now coach that I'd be happy to share here to find your max HR. It basically takes 40 minutes of your time and you need to be rested when you do it.

Scout7

I have a method given to me by an Olympic cyclist, now coach that I'd be happy to share here to find your max HR. It basically takes 40 minutes of your time and you need to be rested when you do it.
                          Something along the lines of this? http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/determinezones.html

Wasatch Speedgoat

Actually that sounds harder than it needs to be. A 30 minute TT? I have it at home on my computer, but I'll try to remember it off the top of my head. Jog for 20 minutes, then run 10 seconds at a 5K pace (or very fast, if you don't know you're 5K pace), jog for 20 seconds. Do that 10 times....then jog for a few minutes to recover from the first set, then do another set of what you did earlier only on the 10th rep, run all out for 2 minutes. Look at your monitor as you are nearing the 2 minute point of that last set and add 5. He says that's about as close to your max you are going to get unless you are being chased down the trail by a mountain lion. He adds 5 because he said no matter how hard you try, you cannot reach your max...it's against human nature. This is an easy way to find your max because it's broken up into intervals rather than one long run. I have done this test every year the past 3 years and it always comes out at around 186. My wife's always comes out at 206. She is much smaller than I and has a faster HR anyway, though surprisingly both of us have a resting of about 52. We both use the HR monitor for recovery at the end of the year and during the early winter...then i put it away when I start my serious training, running by feel instead. i don't like to be a slave to technology, but it does help me recover for sure. Another thing I've read is to run a 5K all out and sprint for the finish, look at your monitor and it'll be close to your max. If i can find his program, I can post the actual test because I'm sure I'm forgetting something... Good luck! Steve

muse_runner

keep running.

Wow I've missed out on this thread! Too much time in the 2000 mile forum. Black eye Where do I start replying... hmmmm I'll start with the ravenous part. Ravenous means I can put away about 2,500 cals spread over the day. That's several hundred calories above my maintenance level which is sad. Oh well. That was how I panned out yesterday. I woke up today, ready for breakfast. Yesterday I was so hungry all day I couldn't concentrate on anything except when I would eat again. It sucked. I ate full meals too. I also did a short 3 mile recovery jog. I have "that time" right now so I'm sure it doesn't help. I've also been running non-stop for about 14 days. I'm sure a day off would help me. Darn 2000 mile board. I've been on 3 different "types" of eating and they all get me to the same weight give or take 2-4 pounds. When I buckle down and do which ever "diet" I am adhering to I lose weight. When I don't my weight gradually creeps up. I'm sure shifting mileage from the mid 30 range to the high 40 range lately is responsible + having woman issues. My body is thrown for a loop for sure. Steve, I'd love to see the formulas you have. I am really "formulaic" with my running. Like on McMillan my 5k, 10k, and half-marathon are all as predicted, to the second. I also run my easy pace the way Daniels says and this equates to exactly 75% of my max heart rate as predicted by the heart rate formula I got on Polar's website. I think I'm just predictable. Scarey enough I also can predict 1/2 marathon PR's based on duration of quality training. Like I did 7 half-marathons last year and predictably PR'd after the first 3 of them. Now it's like a science. I guess when you run a lot of races you learn how your body adapts. My calculations (get my geek glasses out) basically say that for every month and a half of quality training I PR by 1:30 for each half-marathon and half that amount for a 10k and half of the latter amount for a 5k. I think I spend too much time worrying about running! I do most of my runs at a 9:15-9:40 pace though in heavy training I shift to the slower end. I used to run my daily runs as races and then realized that it sucked and was yuckie. An all out 400 meter repeat at the end of training (e.g. a day with 2 mile w/up and 7X400 with cool down jogs around the track) can be about 1:36 for me and that would probably put my heart rate to about my max heart rate. Yup. I don't know what that means but I've done that a bunch of times before. So there, I'm not fast. Blush
                              muse_runner

keep running.

Running entry: I am still feeling that "easy" track work. CRAP! My body doesn't like speedwork. Just as I thought. This is going to take adapting. I think I could run 50 miles a week happily without speedwork. 40+ miles a week with speedwork (NOT tempos) is another ball game. Eating a lot yesterday made me oversleep for the trail run by an hour. I had to run 6 miles instead of 10. I hope Trent isn't looking. Leave me alone meanie! Cry aghhhhhhh I think I can I think I can.... Confused