RA Coaching Forum

mikeymike's quixotic quest (Read 854 times)

muse_runner

keep running.

Nice! She's a darn good runner, even with a pacer. WOW! Smile what area is that in photo #2? Looks like Waltham even though they all look the same around there! I really love the clarity and capturing of these photos. Who took them? I always steal my race photos... hehehe (snickering)... Black eye off for the run...
    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
    mikeymike

The race was in Wakefield, MA. The finish was right along Quannapowitt Parkway, in the parking lot of the Comverse building. The race course also went through the Breakheart reservation. Shannon Hovey is a US Olympic Trials Marathon qualifier. She ran 2:42:08 at Chicago last year!

Runners run

Wasatch Speedgoat

Nice pics...makes me yearn to run more road races after being involved in this trail ultramarathoning scene the past 10 years. When you mentioned the Law Enforcement half, I though you were talking about the one in Melrose that ran around Spot Pond in Stoneham. I ran that a few times and it is/was a tough course....many hills! Spot pond is one of my old training grounds when I lived in Medford, that and the Fells. BTW: Deb and I have decided to move back to New England. As soon as our house sells, we're going home. Big grin Steve

Life is short, play hard!

mikeymike

Steve, the Melrose Half became the Law Enforcement Half in Wakefield, which later became the Run To Remember in South Boston. Welcome home! You can take the boy out of New England, but you can't take New England out of the boy... Oh and to answer Muse's question, Jim Rhodes took these pictures. He takes pics of a lot of NE races and posts them on his site. Here are his pics from Monday's marathon.

Runners run

Prophet!

Mon - 6 EZ Tues - 7 EZ with strides Wed - 9 with 8 x 2 min hard / 1 min easy Thu - 6 EZ Fri - 7 EZ with strides Sat - 6 EZ Sun - 13 with a progression or 3 x 8 min at tempo or something
            i got a question about this schedule..this is pretty similar to what i'm doing except that i'm doing 30 - 40 minute tempo runs (plus warmup and cooldowns) once a week. You think it would be better to split it up like you did and integrate it into the longer runs ? These tempo runs leave me slightly rugged for the rest of the day but gives me confidence boost and also i usually can recover pretty well with an easy run the next day. thanks, mikeymike
            mikeymike

You think it would be better to split it up like you did and integrate it into the longer runs ?
              I find it is a lot better mentally and physically to have two big days where I do most of my quality running, then 5 relatively easy days per week. So for me, in the example schedule, that is Wednesday and Sunday. Sometimes, if I'm feeling it, I might turn Friday's run into a little impromptu tempo run--do a 3-mile warmup then pick it up for the last 3-4 miles or so. This is okay because I still have easy days before and after Friday's run. I think when you're building a base, this is the way to go: plan 2 "big workouts" per week and then allow yourself one other day when you're *allowed* to pick it up a bit if you feel like it and if you've been recovering well. You want to be really fresh to go hard on your two big days. Also, you don't need to break up the tempo run. This week was just an example--there are plenty of times when Wednesday or Sundays run woud include a 3-4 mile tempo instead of what I had listed, or any number of other "high aerobic" workouts. Bottome line is the emphasis is on aerobic and high aerobic (tempo) with occasional short bursts of speed (strides.)

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Mikey what length of strides do you do? 100 meters or 200 meters? Smile I'm debating having my long run tomorrow be a progression. I have so much energy. Smile How are you feeling? What's on the horizon for training? Races?
                running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                mikeymike

I usually do them by time, during an easy run on the roads. I do 8 x 20 seconds or 6 x 30 seconds. Occasionally I'll go to the track and do 6 x 200, or now that the new fields are done at our local h.s. I'll sometimes do 12 x 100 yds. barefoot on one of the field-turf fields. I feel like roadkill right now. It's been a long hard week and I'm glad it's Friday. My training week has gotten pretty screwed by my real life up but I've managed to fit in some decent mileage. I broke a lot of my own rules. Last night at 9 pm I did a 10-mile progression run after doing a 7-mile tempo run at lunch the day before. I'm a bit banged up. I just got back from an easy 5.8 that didn't feel that easy. I've penciled in a few 5k and a 10k race in the next few weeks. The first one is the 29th. Not sure If I'll run that but I'm pretty sure I'm running a 5k on may 6.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Mikey I've had those bang-up weeks before and they are kind of pitiful but not at the same time. On the one hand you're making stupid decisions, on the other, you're getting miles. So its' like... which feeling do you take about it? hehe. We have similar schedules Mike. Good! I'll just keep stalkin ya 'til my winter marathon. Have a better day, TGIF right? Smile
                    mikeymike

Training week 4/16/2007 -- 57.5 miles in 7 runs. Mon - 5.8 easy jog Tue - 8.3 easy with strides Wed - 7.1 medium/tempo Thu - 10 mile progression run Fri - 5.8 easy Sat - 8.3 easy Sun - 12.2 with 6 x 800 at 5k / 200m jogs Not sure quite how I pieced this week together but somehow I managed to run 7 days AND get pretty damn close to 60 miles. Go me. Crazy week in my real life but somehow I got it done. Key workout 1 - Thursday's 10-mile progression run (which was at 9 PM in the pitch dark) Key workout 2 - Today's 12 miles including 6 x 800 at 5K pace on the track, my first 5K pace workout in a while. After today's workout I did a ton of yardwork the rest of the day. I'm gonna sleep good tonight...

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Mikey, you're an insane runner! That's like 3+ elements of speed training a week in there and you only mentioned 2 key workouts. Hmmm what am I missing? Smile How was that reminder of 5k pace doing for ya? J/K. I DO miss progression runs though. They are sooooo good for your mind! I'm sure you'll sleep good tonight, whether or not the boobie horn is subconsciously serenading you while you sleep. HAH! sorry I crack myself up sometimes (I am total dork) rest rest rest my friend. thanks for all of your insights in my 10k journal.
                        mikeymike

Wow I feel a bit tired today but nothing like the day after my first 3K workout this spring--no real pain or soreness. I think I've figured out I'm not ready for 3K pace workouts but 5K pace is no problem. Yesterday's workout was great. It was really warm out, the first 3-4 800s felt easy in the 2;48-2:50 range. The last two got a bit intense but nothing major. The last one was my fastest despite making a detour into lane 4 and kicking a soccer ball back into the infield for some little tykes. And then I jogged a obout 3-4 miles on the roads, did 3 x 30 seconds strides, then joged the rest of the way home about 1.6 miles. Today I'm feeling no pain. Good sign.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

how are we feeling?
                            mikeymike

how are we feeling?
                              Rockin. I did a 10 miler with 4 mile tempo yesterday. It sucked at first but got better as I went along. Even durning my warmup jog I just couldn't get loose and my breathing felt harder than should have. But about 2 miles into the tempo run, things just clicked and my stride started to feel smooth and I got a lot faster. The rest of the run felt awesome. This a.m. I didn't run b/c I was out late (for me) last night drinking beer and planning a road race for the summer--I met a guy from my town who's faster than me who I want to try and do some training with. I'll do an easy 5-6 at lunch today then probably 8 with strides maƱana temprano. I may run a 10K on Sunday if I can fit it in with life.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Wow you sound really good Mikey! I think the last minute races are the best. Not too much mental pressure. I get that tooooooo often where the first 2-3 miles I may as well be sleeping. Then suddenly you "click" into good mode. I think it's just the body's natural processes of going from "shit! you're running" to starting to tap into our fuel system and oxidize it for energy. Smile I just wonder what is happening during miles 2-3. I'm thinking... maybe just physiological orienting?