Running-Wizard

how's it going? (Read 103 times)

Had a great training week so far and was finally starting to feel in the groove with my new plan....was looking forward to my out and back this morning but then yesterday our sump pump failed and half our basement flooded. Up all night with my hubby with a couple of shop vacs then this morning another round of bad thunderstorms. Treadmill got shoved into a corner last night and stacked with stuff so it's a no go today. On the bright side I got to sleep in and will be rearing to go for my long run tomorrow!
    zonykel

Just finished week 3 of a 24-week 5K plan. So far, I have a general feeling that I'm carrying leg fatigue from one day to the next. Thats probably because i increased the training to 7 days a week. My body probably misses the day of rest. The mileage is a little higher and the paces are faster. The workouts are not affected, though.

With the heat rearing its ugly head, today's long run was tough at the end. The last half hour of a 2-hour long run is always tough for me, but even more so as the temperature went up.

I'm also transitioning to new shoes (Inov-8 F-Lite 195). Almost every day, I use the first mile to run on the shoes. The rest of the run is with my old shoes, Saucony Progrid Mirage.

I'm getting better at logging the recovery indicators. But I haven't improved my sleeping patterns (still sleeping 6-7 hours a night. I feel I need to sleep more).

Well, that's about it for now. No injuries thus far, other than a black toenail (result of a blister underneath the toenail).

northernman

Fight The Future

Left foot PF is feeling much better, still not completely gone. No running for three days, kind of driving me crazy. I've been on the arc trainer, and hope it's not stressing the plantar fascia. Did two hours today, to pretend I was doing my long run. At least being inside at the gym helps me get motivated to do some weight lifting, so I've been doing squats, bench press, etc for the last few days. My plan is to keep resting, using ice, doing gentle PF exercises until my new old running shoes get delivered - fed ex says Wednesday. Then start to ramp back up. Long term, I'll try to ease back in to using the Altra's, much more gradually this time.

Hope everyone got to enjoy their long run outside this weekend. Was finally a perfect weather day here, and would have been glorious to run!

this weekend in the midwest was gorgeous and absolutely wonderful running weather. my long run was glorious (perhaps even more so because of the extra day of rest) and after a week of rain and flooding, the skies opened up perfectly blue and wonderful...BUT it wasn't hot and humid, just cool and breezy. have had three weeks of hitting almost fifty miles a week (record for me!) and looking forward to getting all six of my runs in this coming week. legs are achy but it's managable...the only question is, how much biofreeze can you use??  Smile

JML

Hey SubDood!

You are coming up on two weeks to go and I suspect that you probably have a time trial scheduled for this weekend.  How are you feeling?

Jon

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hungry

Hey SubDood!

You are coming up on two weeks to go and I suspect that you probably have a time trial scheduled for this weekend.  How are you feeling?

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for asking. It seems like I've been on this plan forever, but in a good way. I feel good, really good! I have enjoyed each phase of this training cycle, although I will admit that the current Coordination Phase (just finishing up) is more difficult than I expected based on the name; some of the workouts often leave me feeling quite UN-coordinated.

This Saturday (T - 2 weeks), I will run a Half Marathon as my 13-mile Out-and-Back run. I plan to stick to the program pace, or just a bit faster, hoping to finish in about 1:35. The following week (T - 1 week), I will run a 5K as my "Time Trial," hoping to run at the program time of 19:50, which would be a 5K PR for me.

I briefly toyed with the idea of trying to run the Half fast enough to set a PR, which is around 1:32:30. That would give me the opportunity to possibly set PR's at 3 different distances on 3 consecutive weekends (half, 5k, then full). That would be a very cool thing to say AFTER it happened, IF it happened, but I'd much rather set myself up to run the full 26.2 as well as possible. I don't want to risk that, and I've got at least 3 more half-marathons I can do later in the summer and into the fall. There is a 1:35 pacer for Saturday's half, so I may just put myself on a leash and attach it to that person!

I do worry that I may have overdone a recent workout. My 5-mile Out-n-Back on Tuesday this week was supposed to be at 7:12 pace, which is already the fastest sustained pace in my program for anything other than Intervals or 12x100/100's, etc. I went out too fast, glancing at my watch at the 1-mile point and seeing 6:32. I slowed down a lot for the second mile (it seemed like a lot), which ended up being a 6:49. After that, it was 6:47, 6:43, 6:40. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, "Yay, I ran fast and it didn't kill me!" On the other hand, if this means I've peaked too early, or if this effort sets me back recovery-wise, I will be bummed if I don't do as well at the marathon as I could have.  But at the time, it felt really good!

Well, my normal level of obsessiveness is about to ramp up a few notches. After Saturday, it's Taper Phase . . . and the madness that is sure to accompany it. Wish me luck!

Any races coming up for you? Still basking in the glow of your recent 5K result?

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston

JML

Sounds like you are having my typical experience with the last few weeks of a RW plan.  I also find that I have a lot of trouble keeping the pace from creeping beyond the recommended pace range once I get to taper, and that it takes a conscious effort to not run too fast, too soon and waste my fitness in training.  I wouldn't worry about the fast 5 mile out and back.  It was a short enough workout that the increased pace should not cause an issue.  I did the same thing during my 5K time trial when I came precariously close to running a PR during what was not supposed to be a full race effort.  It turned out that it was a good indicator that my running fitness was better than I thought given my eventual result during my actual goal race.  I do agree with you to keep the HM pace at 1:35 for this weekend’s race/out-and-back (better bring that leash).  I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at just how easy running a half at a 1:35 pace feels at this point.  Based on your training log, you have been killing it and your goal marathon should be a good day.

As for me, I am back from vacation and just about to start a 23 week cycle for the Marathon.  I am actually looking forward to racing this distance again now that I have found a solid training approach.  I am also very much looking forward to my trip to Colorado at the end of next week to meet Nobby and Lorraine and learn more about the Lydiard method.  I don’t have any races on the calendar but I have agreed to help coach a bunch of newer runners in support of a charity team for the NYC marathon.   I am going to have a busy summer coordinating group runs and training, but I am looking forward to it.  Hopefully, the knowledge that I gain from Nobby and Lorraine will help me to get these runners safely over the finish line.

Good luck at your race and keep us posted.

Jon

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hungry

Thanks again, Jon. I am jealous of your trip to Colorado to meet Nobby and Lorraine. Have fun!  I've been dying to tell my story about running in a very small race with Lorraine back in 1980, in Wisconsin of all places. (And by running "with" her, I mean she and I were in the same race. I didn't know who she was until the next day when I saw her name in the newspaper with the race results.)

And good luck coaching! You seem to have the right mix of technical knowledge, common sense, and encouraging words to be very successful at it. Best wishes!

Bob

northernman

Fight The Future

Edited:

tl;dr foot still hurting. Hope it gets better.

Sorry about your foot, northernman. Sounds very frustrating! Good luck!!

Seems like everyone else is doing well! You can look at my pathetic log to see how I'm doing. It is...pathetic. My son came down with a GI thing last week, which I then got as well, and now we both have a cold. It's beyond ridiculous. At least the weather is nice!

Hungry

Seems like everyone else is doing well! You can look at my pathetic log to see how I'm doing. It is...pathetic. My son came down with a GI thing last week, which I then got as well, and now we both have a cold. It's beyond ridiculous. At least the weather is nice!

runharrietrun,  I am very sorry to hear this. When will it stop? Do you have any other races coming up? Or are you starting a new training cycle?

I guess my situation is almost the opposite of yours. Training and health have been fine. But we've had unbelievably bad weather all winter (which ended about a week ago -- winter, that is). And we've had rain and very cool temps all spring so far. I don't mind the cool weather so much, except that if it suddenly gets real warm right before my marathon, I will be completely unprepared for it.

Same here, it has been so coolmand mild so far I know my body is going to freak out when itnfinally turns into Midwest summer! I am having to skip my morning jog for right now. Basement not put back together and as I stepped outside thunder just rolled across the sky. I try not to run in thunderstorms as much as I can help itnso hopefully I can fit in my run later in the day. Going out of town for a few days so I know this week isngoing to be messed up but I think on the positive side that inam finally adjusted well to the mileage load and starting to feel in the groove with the plan
                          perryw

I did my first workout of the 21 week training plan today. 5 minutes of warm up, 28 minutes of fartlek-ing, then about seven minutes of cool down. I did the fartlek about 20 seconds per mile faster than the fast pace on the plan... Yea, I should have slowed down. My legs feel tired now and so does the rest of my body for that matter. I shouldn't have any problem sleeping tonight!

The plan will challenge me and have me running more than I ever have.  I'm looking forward to it, though somewhat nervously. To make it funner, I'm doing Weight Watchers online and hopping to lose 20+ more pounds. I'll check in and let you guys know how I'm progressing.

northernman

Fight The Future

Left foot still hurting, but maybe possibly not as much. Still icing and rolling on a ball. Have started doing serious achilles tendon stretches, 3 minutes at a stretch (ha ha). I think that is helping the most. Also, having the new shoes feels like it is helping a little.

Anyway, still running, although I have limited the mileage to about 6 or 7 miles per day, since that's the point that my foot starts to really hurt. I did run a 5K this past weekend, and got a PR (21:44), about 3 minutes faster than my previous best (and only) 5K. Not saying all that much, since the prior one had been 1 week after a marathon and I was recovering. Here's hoping things hold together. If no new aches or pains, I'll try to slowly ramp back up to full RW mileage by next week. Will be wise, I think, to curtail this weekend's long run, though.

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Just starting my HM plan, so far so good Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to