Running-Wizard

hill workouts when you're in the alps (Read 19 times)

Hey everyone! So I was just looking ahead on the calendar and realized that my hill phase starts in a couple weeks - right when we'll be vacationing for two weeks in the alps! How convenient! Here's the thing:  every run is a hill run. I'm thinking that with daily alpine runs and hikes, my strengthening needs will be met without adding the additional stress of an actual rw-style hill workout. (we did the same vacation last year and it was not only super fun, but kicked my butt into shape just running and hiking up all those hills slowly. Last year we hiked 3-4 hours each day and i ran ev ery day as well. Planning on the same this time around.)

i thought the hill workouts were very helpful and valuable during my last training phase, I'm just thinking i don't want to o.d. on hills during those 2 weeks and end up feeling burned out before the intervals even start! Any experiences to share? Sound like a plan?

Can you do a hill workout or two before you leave to help prep for your trip? I'm not sure what sort of hills you normally run. Then maybe just run hills at intended intensity on your other workouts or put a recovery day between the hill workout and long run?

What I ran into is that my races are all hilly, as in 3500+ft vertical in my goal races. Hence my long runs are hilly with at least a couple thousand feet of uphill. If I followed the plan exactly, I would do a hill workout (sometimes on those steps I showed in another post) then do a 1500-2000ft vertical run the next day. I know those two runs (hills and long run) are deliberately b2b for a reason, BUT I'm also thinking they weren't thinking of someone doing a couple thousand vertical feet in their long run. (That's not counting that I didn't limit my long runs to 2.5 hrs, but some of the long "runs" were hikes with 4000ft of uphill. This worked well last year for the same races.) I did what made sense to me for where I am (conditioning across years), having a reasonable feeling for recovery, and maybe emphasizing hard/easy vs b2b. Since there were only 4 hill workouts (4 wks in that phase, 1 deliberate hill workout/wk), I varied it across the weeks to see what worked or at least didn't kill me. Some variations worked better than others.

I should add that almost all my workouts are on hills anyway, with occasional easy runs or intervals on flat terrain. My races don't have flat in them, except for a 10k (non-goal).

Have a great trip. Yep, mountains do wonders for conditioning.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Hi AKTrail! Thanks! Thought you might have something to say about this Smile I have some hilly trails that I run a few times a week, but nothing that could be called even vaguely mountainous. It's a good idea to try and get in more hills before I leave. Am reluctant to do an actual hill workout because I don't want to compromise the aerobic stuff (I had to take a few weeks off in June and don't want to lose any more time!) but I can do a few runs on a loop that requires me to run up Berlin's biggest hill, elevation 150 meters Shy  several times. Better than nothing!

Can you do a hill workout or two before you leave to help prep for your trip? I'm not sure what sort of hills you normally run. Then maybe just run hills at intended intensity on your other workouts or put a recovery day between the hill workout and long run?

What I ran into is that my races are all hilly, as in 3500+ft vertical in my goal races. Hence my long runs are hilly with at least a couple thousand feet of uphill. If I followed the plan exactly, I would do a hill workout (sometimes on those steps I showed in another post) then do a 1500-2000ft vertical run the next day. I know those two runs (hills and long run) are deliberately b2b for a reason, BUT I'm also thinking they weren't thinking of someone doing a couple thousand vertical feet in their long run. (That's not counting that I didn't limit my long runs to 2.5 hrs, but some of the long "runs" were hikes with 4000ft of uphill. This worked well last year for the same races.) I did what made sense to me for where I am (conditioning across years), having a reasonable feeling for recovery, and maybe emphasizing hard/easy vs b2b. Since there were only 4 hill workouts (4 wks in that phase, 1 deliberate hill workout/wk), I varied it across the weeks to see what worked or at least didn't kill me. Some variations worked better than others.

I should add that almost all my workouts are on hills anyway, with occasional easy runs or intervals on flat terrain. My races don't have flat in them, except for a 10k (non-goal).

Have a great trip. Yep, mountains do wonders for conditioning.

Yep, I agree. Run your 150m hill a couple times should work well for some preconditioning.

The RW-hill workouts are different than just regular hill runs in that they are more bounding - more about form and power. They shouldn't be anaerobic. What I have a tendency to do on a good day is to mix some bounding in another run, even in the aerobic phase. I don't have a hill configuration that replicates their hill workout having recovery jog at the top and stride-outs at the bottom. My hills are either bigger than that or no flat space at top or bottom. I understand what they're trying to do with the workout, I think, but things more specific to my topography - both training and racing - may be more useful for me.

I do like the bounding drills, but tend to spread them out more and may even do them in winter if we've got adequate traction on the snow.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I don't offer advice to people who get to vacation in the Alps

Smile

Hope you have a great trip! Sounds like AKTrail has you covered

haha! I know, when I posted that I was thinking it sounds kind of pretentious to talk about the Alps (dahling!) but it really is just a regular old hiking vacation, not that much  different from heading to Colorado. More lederhosen, certainly, down there on the german-Austrian border Big grin

I don't offer advice to people who get to vacation in the Alps

Smile

Hope you have a great trip! Sounds like AKTrail has you covered