Running-Wizard

a few questions (Read 29 times)

1)  At 30mi/week running 5 days a week, is adding in a couple extra very easy runs a stupid idea?  I ask because during my aerobic training, I had my sister join me a few times a week.  However, now that I'm in hills and heading into anaerobic, the paces are going to be too fast for her to not slow me down or force me into unneccessary breaks.  Running is one of the few things we have in common so I'm thinking of before my harder workouts running easy with her, no more than 5km or so.  Is this a really stupid idea and asking for injury?

2)  Once October comes I'll be resuming hockey.  I can't run on the hockey days, or if I do it'd have to be only a couple miles.  Last year I ended up substituting hockey for a run.  How could I build up now so that I don't have to lose a day of running?  (hockey is a very hard workout, especially on the legs)

3)  Is there a way to make a RW plan for a 30km race?  I only see half and full plans listed.  I'd love to do the Around the Bay 30km in March, but I fear that a half training is too little and I don't have time for full marathon training.

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

1. How far does your sister run? Would having her join you on the warmup or cooldown only work out? OR could you do a wu together, split (she do her thing, you do your thing), and rejoin for cd. OR maybe do intervals with her doing shorter intervals. You might not be side by side but in general area.

2. How many hockey days do you have? Did you want to try to run on all of them, or just aim for running on one? (my body tells me to separate, but others are stronger)

3. I'd probably look at downsizing a marathon plan by reducing the duration of whatever.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Boston Strong in 2014!

With regards to the first question, according to the RW website (in FAQs), "you may add a conversational second run/jog/cycle/aqua-jog of 3 -7 miles (or time equivalent) in addition to and at the opposite end of the day to your daily workout. Do not add any other type of workout than easy aerobic exercise or you could very easily defeat the entire plan." It looks like you could add in a shorter, slower paced run with your sister in the afternoon or evening after you did your planned workout in the morning. 

2014 goals

2000 miles; 5k < 24:30; HM < 1:56Century Bike Ride

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21

1. How far does your sister run? Would having her join you on the warmup or cooldown only work out? OR could you do a wu together, split (she do her thing, you do your thing), and rejoin for cd. OR maybe do intervals with her doing shorter intervals. You might not be side by side but in general area.

2. How many hockey days do you have? Did you want to try to run on all of them, or just aim for running on one? (my body tells me to separate, but others are stronger)

3. I'd probably look at downsizing a marathon plan by reducing the duration of whatever.

1)  The w-u is too short for her, she usually does 5-7km (3-4mi).  Also, I considered splitting but the reason she runs with me in the first place is because at the cabin she's too afraid to run by herself (we're very remote with lots of wild animals and she's extremely jumpy to begin with)
          2)  Usually just one, it's an adult rec league.  I don't want to lose that day as then I'd only have 4 days a week of running, but at the same time I want to recover fully.
          3)  That's a good idea, thanks Smile

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis