Trailer Trash

Eventuality: Race Report for the abominable Beast of Burden 50 (Read 42 times)

some call me Tim

runtraildc

Congratulations on your 50, Blarg!  and great photos in the RR.  thanks for sharing.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for sharing.  I enjoyed reading.

Can I ask why you picked a winter 50 as your first? Nothing wrong with that but certainly interesting.  Did you have any issues when you stopped to walk with getting too cold?

That's a pretty good finish time.  Congrats!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Congratulations on your first 50, and nice time in the weather.

The biggest lesson I learned from y first 50 was I didn't train enough for walking or for starting to run after I had been walking.  Also, your wife hit on a well known ultra trick and that's to vary your pace up and down.  It helps the legs feel like you are working them differently.  It's easier to do on a hilly course, but requires some planning on a flat course like you had.

I see big things for you in the future.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

some call me Tim

Thanks, everybody

boyjame: I picked it because it was there. I recovered so quickly from the 50k this fall and was thinking maybe I could get a little more out of that training. I did have issues getting chilled while walking windy stretches. The regulars do an upper body quick change at each turnaround (12 miles)

AT: I did some walk training, but I don't know what I could've done to prepare for those last few hours apart from just doing it. More training probably would have been good!

A local acquaintance (Daven Oskvig) won the 50 and smashed the course record by over half an hour. As far as I could tell, he pretty much ran even splits the whole way. 5:51. Freakin amazing.

sugnim

Nice!  Thanks for sharing.  The best part is that you still had a smile on your face at the finish!  

AT-runner

Tim

AT: I did some walk training, but I don't know what I could've done to prepare for those last few hours apart from just doing it. More training probably would have been good!

Now your body knows what 50 miles is like, and that makes a big difference on the next race. I assume there will be a next race, as these damn things are addictive.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Congratulations on the finish. I can't imagine running a 50 at this time of the year up there. I used to get into that area on a regular basis and the wind always seemed to be relentless.  How much did you have to supplement the Tailwind with other foods? I just started using Tailwind and I'm finding that I have to force myself to drink just to get the calories I need. I'm sure this will change when it gets warm again.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Great job!  I liked the part where you said you wouldn't do the race again...are you sure?   Congrats on the first 50 and great time!

**Ask me about streaking**

some call me Tim

Now your body knows what 50 miles is like, and that makes a big difference on the next race. I assume there will be a next race, as these damn things are addictive.

You betcha. Next time, summer!

daydreamer: That's been my exact issue, too. Tailwind talks about being dried out by the winter air and no doubt fluids are still important, but it's just not the same. Generally I stick a gel in the pouch of each hand bottle(I don't really do actual food). Running with 200-250cal/18oz, I always need the gel and after the first 1 hour bottle I start to feel bloated. I only did 300cal bottles once in training and only felt like I needed one gel... just kinda figured that 350cal would give me some leeway and other than dialing in the concentration for the conditions it works great for me.

james: I am *positive*. Finished the race covered in ice and when I got home, my internal thermostat was all screwed up. I had hot and cold flashes all night long. Blech. Once was enough!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think you're crazy for racing in update NY in the winter, but I've got to admire you for persevering and running what looks ot me like a very fast time. Now summer I might be persuaded to consider, though the west beckons also.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

james: I am *positive*. Finished the race covered in ice and when I got home, my internal thermostat was all screwed up. I had hot and cold flashes all night long. Blech. Once was enough!

The "internal thermostat" thing happens to me after any ultra to some degree, regardless of race temps.

**Ask me about streaking**

XtremeTaper

Congratulations on your first 50! While you chose a flat course, I can see that being a very challenging run with the wind and the cold and well it just being NY in the winter. You did very well. Sort of like how you settled into that "forever pace" there on the last lap. I do that in training some times when going long. Just settle in, find a pace I think I can last forever, shut off the mind and keep moving. Anyway, congrats again!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

some call me Tim

Thanks! And I love all of these little bits of information that come through in response... hive mind ftw

wc, I'm told the canal is prettier in the summer, but it's never gonna be majestic. Even if you don't make it out west, there are better summer races just in this region(or yours for that matter)

LB2

Congratulations. I think that was a great time on the 50. I generally like to run in cold weather, but I don't know if I would have liked it that cold and windy. It looked brutal.

LB2