Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - September 2009 (Read 566 times)

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." --- Jim Morrison

Welcome to a new month, my trail running friends!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

*gulp*

My 100 miler takes place in September.  Starting to feel a bit real now... scary. 

...---...

*gulp* is right. T minus 4 days and a wake up here.

-

Gonna do an easy hybrid run afterwork. DW is training for her first 5K with a group that meets at a park (where my closest trail loops are) a few times a week so I'll do my run and meet her for a ride home. 

-

I want a massage. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

The King of Beasts

soul of a clown ...

Pennywise?

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Pennywise?

Hey another one...how did Leadville go? 

The King of Beasts

Hey another one...how did Leadville go? 

not funny.

check the log, 61 miles.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

not funny.

check the log, 61 miles.

Gah, that sucks.  I haven't been able to get any of the results up on their shitty site, so didn't know how you did.

The weather was brutal this year.  I've never seen it that hot in the Arkansas valley.  My runner puked for 60 miles and basically didn't eat from Twin outbound to the finish.  Did the heat get you too?

The King of Beasts

runner puked

yep, started at mile 35 ish, and could not make it back up and over hope pass in time.

did get to see Lynette win, under 21, she is crazy good.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

First, good luck to Trey and Chris and they run their big races this month.  All your hard work will come to fruition.  I know it!

Leslie, I can't see how anybody could resist your charms.  You will do well at the new job.  Oh, and make sure you get enough rest.  You deserve it.

Speaking of heat problems, I woke up wicked dehydrated today.  I did yardwork and washed two vehicles yesterday and *forgot* to drink because the weather was so nice.  It was around 90 with low humidity and that felt so much better than the near 100s and high humidity that we have had for so long.  I guess 90s will still suck the moisture out of you if you do not drink anything all day.  I am a fool.  I get busy and do not pay attention.

Needless to say, I did not run as I hoped this morning.  Perhaps I will be recovered by this evening.  I sometimes wonder if I will ever succeed in running longer distances because of this very thing.  I dehydrate easily and forget to drink - not a good combination for distance running.

Kitrin

Kitrin - If you carry a water bottle with you, mark it in 6 oz increments.  If use a Garmin, set it go off every 15 (or however often) so that you remember to drink 6 oz at a time.

Another - I congratulate on the 61 miles.  Even that distance makes the mind reel.  Gonna try again next year?

No trail running for me except on weekends, but I did get in my 5 miles w/10 30-sec hill sprints in the middle.  Amazing how a couple of days rest can make a person feel so much better!  I can still feel that I'm a bit tired, but nothing like last week, or especially Saturday.

Started my  new job today, and I know I'm gonna like it here.  My new boss called me into the office manager's office and said, "How much did we agree to pay you??" Me: "Well, we talked about $XX, but never finalized anything."  Boss: Looking at Office Manager   Office Manager: "We can't do salary because you're part-time, so it'll be hourly at $XX/hour.   Does that work?"  Me: "Yessiree!"  Tuff negotiations, I tell you, tuff.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

The King of Beasts

Another - I congratulate on the 61 miles.  Even that distance makes the mind reel.  Gonna try again next year?

Does a bear poop in the woods?

Ultrachick

*gulp*

My 100 miler takes place in September.  Starting to feel a bit real now... scary. 

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger-mine is the 19th & 20th.  I'm watching the entrant list as there are only 2 other women registered for the 100 so far.  Since I did the race last year, I can visualize the course and be more confident about where I'm going.  You'll do great....you've put in the miles.

Runner- Good luck at your 50K this weekend.  You'll do fabulous too. 

Another-bummer about Leadville.  But good to see you're going to try again. 

All right, suppose I better get to work which means go work out until my client arrives for a good butt kickin'.

Peace

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Imminent Catastrophe

anotherone-forgive me if this has already been asked/answered. How do you train (if at all) for the Leadville altitude, and how did it affect you?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Another one, I agree with Leslie!  61 miles is one heck of an accomplishment in its own right, especially under the conditions at Leadville this year.  Next year, you will nail it.!

I did not run yesterday evening because the wind was blowing and my husband wanted to take the sailboat to the lake after work.  Unfortunately, in our haste we forgot to put in the drain plug and capsized in the middle of the lake near sunset.  We spent some time flagging down a power boat, righted the sailboat (after removing the sails underwater) and then clung to the stern for 30 minutes while the other boat towed from the bow.  If we did not stay behind the sailboat, it might have tipped (and turtled) again.  We had to constantly shift our weight and push/pull one side or another. Does this count as cross-training?

I ran this morning on my messy trail.  5.29 pleasant miles under cooler temperatures, low humidity, and a fine breeze. I wanted to run 6 or more, but I think I strained a groin muscle in the last last night.  I did not want to push it, being injury paranoid like I am.

Kitrin

Does a bear poop in the woods?

Why, as a matter of fact, yes it does!

Kitrin - Sorry, but I had to giggle a little at the whole boat incident, once I realized you guys were okay.  Now that'll be a story to tell!  Hope there was no damage to the boat, and yes, it counts as MEGA cross training.

A couple of friends are running Hundred in the Hood on Sept 26.  A full 8 - count them, 8 - aid stations, and they think all in a row, do not allow crew or drop bags. WTH?!?  And I believe this is all during the second half of the run.  It's nuts.  Both plan to use their hydration packs as backpacks and use hand-helds for drinking.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance