Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - 2010, Get your feet wet! (Read 685 times)

I saw an osteopath who unstuck my fibula and sacrum. 

Did he scrub up first?? 

Trails and Chris - Nice runs, guys.  Trails, I'm going to go see if I can get that mosaic to be on the start up page.

Buzzie - We were suppose to participate in an FA this weekend, but plans fell through.  Glad yours went so well.

My 18.  Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy oh.  These back-to-back LRs . . .  16 miles of cold, wind, rain, and toward the end, I thought I was going to blow chunks.

I was feeling really good and even thought, "I finally nailed my 2nd LR!"  Then approx Mile 11 came about.  Ye Old Nausea again.  I crammed food in mouth, which sort of held it at bay, but the downward spiral really began after I stopped at the Shell Station to use the bathroom.  Something about stopping completely . . . Between Miles 12 and 14 I ate everything I had left, which I knew was going to be a problem.  I also completely forgot that I had turned around short of 9 miles.  I looked at my watch at what I knew was 1 mile from home and I'd only gone 14.88 miles.  WTH??  I was going to be 2 miles short and I had no food left.  It was sort of like a balloon deflating.  The last  mile . . . I honestly thought I was going to throw up.  And I couldn't keep the mind demons at bay:  "You suck."  "Whatever made you think you could run a 50-miler?" "How the hell are you going to do that when you can't even get back-to-back long runs right?"  Blah, blah, blah.

I downed a Boost as soon as I got home, and spent almost 2 hrs trying to eat a can of chicken noodle soup.  Not the best recovery eating, but cripes it's hard when I get that behind on nutrition.

I've been home for almost 3 hrs and have started feeling better.  I might even be able to eat a grilled cheese sandwich.

MTA - Trails, I sent you a message.  Email me the photo and I can probably get the forum pic changed.  BTW - The mosaic looks fantastic!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

My 18.  Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy oh.  These back-to-back LRs . . .  16 miles of cold, wind, rain, and toward the end, I thought I was going to blow chunks.

Way to HTFU!

I'm mighty impressed with the way you were able to stick with it on a training run.

In my mind, you did nail it - I suspect you got a lot more out of the run than if it had gone "perfectly."

Liz

pace sera, sera

True.  . . . . . . including a sore, eh hem, butt from, er, intestinal problems the rest of the day.  Hey Chris, you got any diaper rash lotion I could borrow??

At least I'm hungry now.  Little bits at a time is working.  . . . . . I need ice cream . . .

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

I'm with Buzzie - you nailed it, Leslie!!

I like Buzzie's attitude too, that you may have learned more from it than if everything had gone perfectly. It's always good to try to turn a negative experience into something positive so you can think of it differently. I think that's the key with a lot of running training. I once read in a book on mental training, that when the negative self talk starts, to look at it, acknowledge that it's there rather than trying to push it away, and greet it, like say "hello negative thoughts, I know you are there and that you want to talk to me but I am busy right now, I'll talk to you after the run."

____

You've clearly demonstrated that you have a strong will. 

____

____

Me on the other hand, I have completely screwed myself today 

When I woke up early I decided to roll over on the other side and sleep in. My body was just soooo tired and my feet were sore. I know, I shouldn't have been so weak. But I will try to turn this around to something positive. I will think of it as "getting better at listening to my body". "Making a smart choice." "Getting some necessary rest and recovery". "Not risking injury by running long on feet that already hurt."

Yeah, I'm a smart runner 

____

I guess I jinxed my long-run by announcing in this forum yesterday, that I was going to run it today?! Oh, well - fortunately, I may be able to find a day during the week when I can fit it in instead - and the weather might be better as well. I don't think I do very well with a long run every 7 days. I don't feel I have enough time to recover and get my other types of runs in during the week. I am beginning to think that I need 10 days, maybe even 14 days between long-runs. Any of you do it that way?

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

I think I have sorted out most of the issues with my left leg I've been having since Tecumseh.  I saw an osteopath who unstuck my fibula and sacrum.  10 miles and 30 stream crossings this morning with no issues anyhow.

Beef - sounds like you've had some relatively serious issues to deal with. Good that you've found a solution. 30 stream crossings?????? How deep and wide? Cold?

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
              That mosaic is awesome!!  Thanks trails2run!! 

Flower - It doesn't look like you're doing any cross training.  You may want to consider cutting the number of runs you do a week and interspersing some x-training.  You might try something along the lines of:

Mon - 5 miles (maybe some speed work)

Tues - x-train, strength train

Wed - 5 miles (just run)

Thurs - x-train, strength train

Fri - rest

Sat - LR

Sun rest

That's not set in stone, just a suggestion.  Someone else may have a different idea.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Guys! I know I've been MIA-the fog is slowly clearing. Busy with the usual stuff-work, kids, kid sports. skiing, nursing achilles still.  I actually didn't run for a whole week-can you believe it? The achilles seems to be better-4m for my long run yesterday! I know it's pathetic and now I'm trying to figure out if I can get built up for a 50 miler by Memorial Day weekend. Could be possible.....

Hope everyone is well and I'll try to stop by more often-slowly trying to get my life reorganized from ending a long term relationship. Sorry I didn't read all the posts but I did see the last few-good job, Leslie!  You can do this 50!!! Hang in there!

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Hi, Kelly!  Good to hear from you!

Keep nursing that achilles.  They can be very stubborn in healing.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thanks, leslie and chris, the mosaic was actually really easy to create using Google's free Picasa program. 

Stick with the training , Leslie, and hopefully you'll see the problems resolve themselves. 

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Happy

I love the photo patchwork trails2run 

_

I got my long run done today - gorgeous weather, sunny, cool, rather windy. I had 4 hours to finish my run before I had to pick up my son from school. This deadline kept me focused. I wanted to get near 20 miles today and ran on my "easy trail". I knew I had to keep the pace up throughout the run in order to reach the mileage goal. I spent a minimum of time at the car refueling (every 3.5 miles) - grabbed stuff and started walking while eating and putting gloves back on etc. I clicked off the miles systematically and kept things under control as well as I possibly could. At the end of the day I had covered 20.8 miles in 3hrs 59min. I am very happy. My body ran like a well oiled machine today. I was very tired at the end and it became a mental game to keep up the pace. I may have slowed a tad but I kept running. My tired brain wanted me to stop and take walk breaks but I didn't do it; instead I convinced the brain that it was OK to feel tired but that my body was perfectly capable of running and to let it do it's job. I had a good long run today - best in a long time.

_

Hi Kelly - good to see you again!!

Ostrich runner

Beef - sounds like you've had some relatively serious issues to deal with. Good that you've found a solution. 30 stream crossings?????? How deep and wide? Cold?

I'm not really sure how serious the issues were, but there was some discomfort.  The doc seemed to be able to free everything up without too much difficulty though.  The stream crossings were chilly, but shallow.  There were maybe 6 that weren't jumpable, but they weren't much more than ankle deep.  Sounds good though

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Good job on the run, Flower!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

Flower - It doesn't look like you're doing any cross training.  You may want to consider cutting the number of runs you do a week and interspersing some x-training.  You might try something along the lines of:

Mon - 5 miles (maybe some speed work)

Tues - x-train, strength train

Wed - 5 miles (just run)

Thurs - x-train, strength train

Fri - rest

Sat - LR

Sun rest

That's not set in stone, just a suggestion.  Someone else may have a different idea.

Leslie, Sorry about having "ignored" this post. 

I have been doing a lot of cross training in the last year or two due to injury keeping me away from handling much running. I am finally not injured and trying to get back to running more and doing less cross training. I actually do push-ups and some (very infrequent) abdominal and oblique strengthening floor exercises in my bedroom. I occasionally pick up some of the dumb bells that we have on the floor in the bedroom and do some curls and other lifts for the shoulders. Currently I like to walk or take a day off when I feel the running is a little too stressful for certain body parts, like the achilles, the feet in general, a knee, the groin etc. I've had plantar facitis and achilles tendonitis simultaneously; I could barely stand on my feet in the morning. I don't want to go there again - so, yes cross training is great. My upper body is relatively muscular and I actually don't need any more weight to carry around when I run. I do not have thin arms and shoulders. I weigh about 10 pounds more than I think is ideal. Somehow the longer slower distances has given me a different body - not quite as lean as I have been in the last 5 years. I try not to obsess too much about it since most people think I am lean and tiny - I keep it to myself that I know I could be fitter but I can talk to you guys about it since we share this passion of running far. Most people think it is extreme and ask why?

So, a friend and I have been running up a local mountain once a week for awhile.  We decided to try and do all 52 weeks in 2010.  This was week #4.  We usually try to catch the sunrise from the summit.  Today was a really nice one, figured I'd share. 

Hope everyone has a great day!