Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly (Come One, Come All!) - Nov. 2009 (Read 598 times)

Seems like the miles and hours on the trails just don't take the same toll as on the road - I'm feeling well balanced/rounded. (My weekday runs are still on pavement - just step out the door and go.)

I agree.  I have to run on the road and bleck!

PerfesserR - Desert High was a lot of fun, and I highly recommend it.  The aid stations were good, the people manning the stations were wonderful.  Here are some pics I took last year:

This aid station was manned by a bunch of guys in the their 40s and 50s and it didn't look like nary a runner was among them, so they were there just to support us and have a good time.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

Stunning views in those pictures. The sky is so big and the cloud formations beautiful - The first picture almost looks like the beach.....

_

One of my new wish list items is a small camera that I can put in my race ready shorts for a trail run - are you using your phone camera? Normally, I don't run with the phone - it's too heavy and feels entirely like a waste of energy to carry it - now I have a new cell phone with a camera in it (finally updated my old phone as it died; guy in the phone shop thought it was an antique - I, being an antique myself, informed him that it was less than 10 years old and as such did not qualify for an antique. He probably has a hard time relating to living in an era w/o cell phones. 

_

Recovering well from the 23 miles. I had a very sore and tight feeling achilles/heel on the left side after the run. This is something that has been bothering me for a while. I am glad the right foot seems to work really well. The left one is a different animal. It almost feels like a hint of plantar faciaitis (sp?). I'm massaging it and doing some toe curls that make the muscles in the entire bottom of the feet contract. Other than that, I am just resting it - primarily not running on it until the stiffness subsides. As you all well know it is mostly tight while getting up in the morning and after sitting down for a little while. I want it to go away.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

The Canon SD series is great for running.  Very very small and light.  They take excellent photos too.

I have the older SD800 IS and love it.... I've taken about 15,000 photos and it's still going strong.

...---...

My next "goal" is Burning River 100 next summer. 

Seems like the miles and hours on the trails just don't take the same toll as on the road 

I really want to do the Burning River but don't think I'll be ready (physically or mentally) for 2010. We'll see. I'm doing a 24 hr run in April - depending on how many I can do then may be the deciding factor. How fast does BR100 fill up (if you know)?

Also, I totally agree with the second comment above. Trail running has saved me. I recover 10X's faster after trails than road. 

Non-related to anything here: Michael Buble is a perv.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I really want to do the Burning River but don't think I'll be ready (physically or mentally) for 2010

You should do the Barkely, it's closer.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

How fast does BR100 fill up (if you know)?

From what I can see, it doesn't fill... last year, they extended online registration 5 days before the race.

Registration is open for 2010 at http://burningriver100.org/

Liz

pace sera, sera

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm curious, why Burning River? I'm not familiar with it. Why not Umstead?

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

You talkin' to me?

I'm doing Umstead as my first 100.

Burning River is something to do with my crazy cousins - also the impetus to finally get off my duff and even start running (a thing to which I'd always planned to get 'round).

Liz

pace sera, sera

Non-related to anything here: Michael Buble is a perv.

Wha??

Flower - Nice LR.  Take care of that foot, otherwise, it can get a heck of a lot worse.  And I took the photos with a little digital I was carrying with me.  Don't know the brand off-hand.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

Burning River near Cleveland is near my new company's HQ which I could turn into a business trip the week before; hence, free airfare, a free peak at some of the course, and a buddy that lives there = free place to stay.

MTA - Burning River doesn't require a crew. Seem to have sufficient aid stations.

I looked at Umstead but it filled fast. Maybe next year.  

MTA - Barkely looks tough - not that a 100 miler isn't slready - only 8 out 700 have ever finished within the 60 hour cutoff 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Happy

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

<center>Hi, I have some great pictures I would like to share with you guys but I don't know how to give my pictures an URL address. Can anyone help, please. Thanks.</center><center>
                          </center><center>
                          </center><center>
                          </center><center>I am making progress - why is the picture so small?</center>

Happy

I finally figured out how to load pictures on - now using a (hopefully) free website to share photos thus enabled to post them here. 

The pictures are from my back yard. Yes, isn't it incredible. My husband and I took advantage of having the day off and the weather being wonderful - we walked into our own little paradise - this pond full of birds and wild life. The smaller birds scurried into safety between all the reeds as they heard us approach the pond but the Canadian Geese stayed.

I hope you enjoy the beauty of the colors.

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow! Nice backyard you have there! And very nice photography.Thanks for sharing.

Imminent Catastrophe

MTA - Burning River doesn't require a crew. Seem to have sufficient aid stations.

I looked at Umstead but it filled fast. Maybe next year.  

MTA - Barkely looks tough - not that a 100 miler isn't slready - only 8 out 700 have ever finished within the 60 hour cutoff 

Now you've got me thinking. That looks like a nice course.

Yeah, the Barkley thing was a joke. That is widely regarded as the toughest Ultra there is (some even consider it harder than Badwater). But it is a day's driving distance...