Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly (Come One, Come All!) - Nov. 2009 (Read 598 times)

Seriously???  Bleck!   I'm thinking I need to just start carrying my favorite raisin bagels made here locally.

Yeah, I had a couple great locally brewed beers at the Bear 100... one at mile 52 and one at mile 75.  A porter and a wheat.  Good stuff!   MMmmmm. 

Ostrich runner

Anyone have suggestions for a good first 50 miler? 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Now I'll have to gut it out down in Rancho Cordova, either on the road or on a treadmill.  {sigh}

If you're going to run in Rancho Cordova, especially for a long run, you should try to get to the American River trail. This where the AR50 course follows, after all.  There's a footbridge near the south end of Arden Way, at what I think is called Pond Park. You can go upstream, then a loop downstream to Watt Ave. I've run on this several times when my son attended Jesuit HS, about 0.5 mile North of the river near Arden. I think I've run the entire stretch at one time or another, from Watt to Folsom Lake, and almost the entire way on "real" trails all the way up to Auburn.

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

The best place to look is ultrarunning magazine. Just google ultrarunning calender and you'll find it. Best partly depends on where you live. 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

The King of Beasts

you are in indiana?

drive down to Land Between the Lakes, KY.  There is a 50 mile ultra down there.  It is a good race, good support, good runners, and a pretty run.

on the trail, there are a few hills, also some nice flat sections.

Mid march I think.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

you are in indiana?

drive down to Land Between the Lakes, KY.  There is a 50 mile ultra down there.  It is a good race, good support, good runners, and a pretty run.

on the trail, there are a few hills, also some nice flat sections.

Mid march I think.

Agreed, that's a good one.  I'm originally from Indiana so the last two years I've combined that race with a trip back home to visit family.  Pretty course. 

I heard rumor that there is going to be a 50 miler on the Knobstone Trail next year.  Not sure if it's true or not...but that would likely be a fun one too.

Ostrich runner

It is true that an Ultra is being considered by the Dinoseries people.  There is some discussion of it on indianatrailrunning.com

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Happy

What's that with the "Neighbor Lady"? LOL!!

_

One of my neighbors while picking up mail from her mailbox once told me while I was running in the heat of the summer that I should put some clothes on!! 

I turned around and said: "You should loose some weight" - no not really but I wanted to! LOL! 

Leslie, got a picture of a fat goat?

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Nope, no fat goats.  We're actually very lucky that the goats are still alive (did I tell you guys this?).   The goats are in the field across the road from our house.  The people who own the property put them there a number of months ago to help keep the weeds down. Someone - and we all think we know who even though they won't admit it - dump rhododendron clippings in there week before last.  Well, rhododendrons, and especially azaleas, are extremely toxic for goats.  We had 4 adults and 1 baby.  All got very sick, and after a number of intense days, all but the Momma goat came out of it.  She died last weekend.  Anyway, the one in the pic is one of 'em that made it.  The whole neighborhood loves having them over there.

Trails - Lucky me!  The hotel we're staying at is a mere mile from the path!  We're at the Marriott, just off Folsom Blvd. I did my entire 20 miles out there this morning, staying mostly on the dirt path/trail that parallels the bike path.  I had no idea we were right by the path until alked to the front desk staff yesterday, trying to figure out where to run.  It's beautiful, but it sure is flat.  

Although I didn't take as long as I thought I would to run the 20, my time was slower than I'd hoped for (if that makes sense).  Did 20.36 it in 3:43, which included 8 stoplights (4 going/returning), 2 older gentlemen I stopped and asked about water fountains and who then felt it necessary to regale me with a couple of jokes (very cute), some 1-2 minute walking breaks every 20 mins after the first hour to eat and drink, and one "where the heck am I and how do I get back to the hotel" when I came up on a parking lot with 4 different directions to choose from.  Unfortunately, I chose the wrong one and ended up on the wrong side of Sunrise Blvd and had to jaywalk/dodge traffic to get back where I was suppose to be.

I'm very happy I was able to get the entire 20 done in one morning and not have to split it up like I thought I was going to.  Tomorrow though, because I don't want to run in the dark in unfamiliar territory, I'm going to suck it up and run my scheduled 10 on the treadmill.  Can't be late for the 9:00 a.m. meeting.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie - glad you found the trail.  And yes, it is very flat. But don't worry, you'll get plenty of hills in the 2nd half of AR50!
                      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

My wife has to work this weekend, so I got up at "stoopid early" today for a fun 19.2 mile trail run with some friends.  There was an inch or two of fresh snow on which made it very beautiful.  Supposed to be a big storm coming in tonight with another 6-12". 

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekends!

- Chris

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Hey All,

Just a quick check in.  I ran this morning, attempting to go 5 miles, but only made it 4.  The past week has been pretty stressful and I did not eat much over the last two days.  I figure that I simply did not have the fuel/energy to go the distance.  My breathing was okay and I "felt" fine overall, however my muscles were heavy.  I struggled to lift my legs,

all the way. 

Whatever the case, I banked four miles.  That has to be good.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Kitrin

Happy

So weird, that someone would want to poison the goats! People!!!

_

The snow on those tall trees is a breathtaking view - did you really run in it Chris? I wonder how it sounds when your feet/shoes run on that fresh snow? Does it feel soft under the feet?

_

I am inspired by all of the long long-runs reported from today; I will attempt a 20-22 miler tomorrow morning. Today, I was away with my son for a swim meet but managed to get some walk/run done on a treadmill at the Y where the meet was held. Good enough for me - recovery day anyway.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm listening too. I'm starting to get disillusioned (again) with road racing. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Where are you guys looking for 50 milers?  I have some recommendations in the CO-WY-UT area.

The snow this morning was pretty thin and was mostly melted off the trail for some reason... we kept joking that the open space people must have little heating coils under the trail.  It crunches underfoot where it exists though.  It's a really cool sound.  Fresh snow is really fun... but it turns into an icy bobsled run after a day or two (because of use) and then it becomes a pain, requiring traction.