Trail Runners

Anybody Out There Anymore? December 2011 (Read 289 times)

It's been so very quiet in here the last few months.  The last post was October 14!  Has everyone moved to the Ultra forum?

I'm finally back in the running game.  My foot is doing great, although I still have some issue with minor swelling.  I saw a different ortho, and he thinks that the main artery running through my foot is deeper than most.  Consequently, if I get any amount of inflammation around the artery, it will cause the swelling and weird nerve feelings.  The nerve issue has almost completely subsided, so that's a huge plus.

I think it also helped that I changed to a shoe with a wider toe box - Inov-8s.  The down side is because of the lower profile, my back isn't happy with the lack of cushioning.  I purchased a thin foam heel insert and will give that a go to see if it helps. Keeping fingers crossed.

As far as my goals for next year, I would like to run a 50k in March, am planning on doing the Western States 3-Day Training Camp in May, am looking at the Mt. Hood 50 miler in July, and possibly a trail marathon or 50k in October/November.  I may not get them all accomplished, but at least I have goals again.

I have an airline ticket I have to use before April 30, so am looking for a 50k in March that requires flying to get to it.  Right now am considering Chuckanut 50k in WA, but it's one of those where you better be at the ready as soon as they open for sign ups as it fills quickly.

So what's going on with the rest of you lurkers?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

I've been broken off and on all year so I've been in hiding. I really hope I can get my body back together to get started again by Jan. I've gotten my ITB under control but am dealing with a calf issue that has struck twice. Had some ART and Graston done to break up old scar tissue in my right calf. Now it's just time to wait and rest while it finishes healing. Trying to get on the spin bike and do core and upper body strength training to keep me from turning into a blob since I can't seem to stop eating like I'm running lots of miles.

I've got a friend that has her sights on Chuckanut. Sounds like a good time.

Fraggle - It's boring as heck, but pool running is great at keeping the cardio up.  If you have a pool available, you might look into it.

6 wonderful miles yesterday at Headwaters, then 10.45 miles today in The Forest.  I started to fall apart around Mile 7.5.  Well, not totally fall apart, but my legs were pretty toasted.  Did a lot of power walking on the hills from that point (okay, I power walked most of the hills, but really had to power walk after 7.5).

Am going to take another week to work on building my base, then I'll start slowly building for Chuckanut.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm also rebuilding, ran my longest race since May, the Pine Mountain 40, on really rough, rocky, rooty, technical trails, plus now several sections of blowdown from a recent tornado. And I learned that a couple road marathons are not sufficient preparation for a technical trail 40-miler. Duly noted. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Still here. Barely. Disappointing year - but at least it was 2 steps forward & 1 step back, instead of the other way around.

Putting in some nice easy miles... mostly road.

Several races on the horizon, including HUFF 50k; Bandera 100k, Rocky Raccoon 100mi coming up fast.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Carl A

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Nope, I'm not here.

Big grin

Well, happy to see the walking wounded are recovering!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Carl A

Thanks--I'm beginning to feel stronger again, and I've been occasionally getting in some good hill runs on the many Scranton trails.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I'm new to running in general (started in May of this year) and to this forum, too.

I have ran before, but it was a decade ago.  Running--especially trail running--has joined my love of backpacking and rock climbing lately.  Did my first trail trace (ORRRC John Bryan State Park "10 miler") this past Saturday.  It was actually ~11.1 miles, technical terrain, and a heck of a lot of fun.  Next trail race is another ORRRC one--the Frosty 14 in February.  I've got some ultras planned for next year (Another Dam 50k, Dances with Dirt in Hell 50 Miler).

This is as good a place as any to introduce myself, I figure.  Hi, all!

Any suggestions for cameras for trail running snapshots?  I need to get something small and durable.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Welcome, Ryan!  Love the pic of you and your running buddy.  She's smiling!

I have a small Nikon (I think it's a Nikon) that takes decent pics.  They've probably improved and gotten smaller since I bought mine over 4 years ago.  Aside from that, I know nothing about cameras.  Helpful, huh?

Good luck with your upcoming races.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yo from Philly. Well, I was prepping for the Philly Marathon when I got pneumonia (from Overtraining I think), so I quit running in mid July. I've gained 20 lbs back and just started running again. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Buddo, Buddo, Buddo.  You are our resident yo-yo, and I say that with much love in my heart. Smile  Go easy with the training, and this time hopefully it'll stick.

11 Charlie Dog miles in about 2.25 hrs (or maybe longer?) this a.m. in The Forest amongst the fog-enshrouded redwoods.  Beautiful.  Cold, but beautiful.  Made myself do lots of mean climbing which, let's face it, is hard not to do in The Forest.  I can only think of one trail, a brief section on another that is "flat."  And the one trail is only about .30 in length.  Otherwise, you're always going up or down.  It's a great training ground.

Anyhoo - muscled through it and my legs are zapped.  Now, after a visit with The Hub, I gotta knuckle down and get some transcription done.  6 miles on tap for tomorrow.

Hope your weekend is going superb ~

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance