Trail Runners

Neo Trai Runners Extreme Team - OCTOBER 2008 (Read 399 times)

Coach Bill is being too conservative-you just did a marathon. You're already built up! If you're feeling good at 12 keep going to 15. I think you should get at least one 20 miler in if not two before the 30k (which is only 18 miles). Check out the latest Running Times-good article on not doing the traditional taper. Go for it!
    Kelly - Is the article online? If so, can you send me the link? He has me with long runs that go 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 8, then my 30k - all at my new HR of 145-155. I'll figure out a way to ask why I'm starting at the low mileage when I just did a marathon. I'll let you know the answer. And I will go out prepared tomorrow for a longer run in case I'm feeling good. I have to go to Riverside 11/13-11/16. My program calls for 6 miles on Thurs, 3+ miles or cycle on Friday, and a 15-mile run on Saturday. I don't know how in the world I'm going to get in a 15-mile run. It's my understanding Riveside isn't exactly the best place in the world to be running around in the dark. 15 miles on a treadmill? Dead Dead Dead

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Come on, do what the rest of the world does. Go to B&N and read the article for free while you sit there and drink coffee. I agree with Kelly. Go long, go slow, walk even occasionally. Leaving later today. Got a 1.2 miler in for my streak. Right achilles is a little sore, but no big whoop. I'll ice it today and tonight and Vitamin-I. Looking forward to the beauty. A front is blowing through the northeast today so it'll be clear and crisp tomorrow. Little too warm for my taste for a race-60, but will take it in stride (cause I'm running, get it?). Wish me luck. I'm stoked.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg, I would wish you luck but you do not need it. Have fun! You have worked hard and I know you will do great! Leslie, I end up traveling much more than I would like these days, so I use mapmyrun.com to help me find routes when I am in an unfamiliar area. You should check it out. Has anyone seen Chris? He is my favorite person to envy with his beautiful pictures. I hope he is well. I thought about him several times on my long run today because there is a pretty little pond. It made me think of all the wonderful scenery in his area. Does anyone know why some runs start easily and others it takes so long to find my stride (if at all)? I would say it took me a good three miles for me to find my rhythm today, so the run was very slow indeed! Even if I wanted to speed up, I expended so much energy early on that it would not have been prudent. Ah well, I kept going for 1:45 and that is a PR for length of time. I am happy with it. We'll see if my body agrees tomorrow. I could really tell that I was pushing my body by the end and I took ibuprofen as a precaution after I finished. I need to shower and hit the books. I will sleep better tonight if I finish that midterm. Kitrin
          Kitrin - Some runs suck and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Some start great and end bad, some start bad and end great. Some are wonderful the whole time. Depends on a lot of things - the amount of/or lack of sleep you got, how you ate of the course of the last 36 hours or so, hydrated/dehydrated, stressed, calm. Just go with it and know that next time it'll be better. Congrats on the time! Greg - Where's the race report?? Big grin (kidding) And, what's B&N?? Did 12 miles today in 2:52:12 for an average pace of about 14:21. Bill ran with me, which forced me to get out of my comfort zone for almost the entire run. And low and behold! I didn't fall apart! I'm gonna be a bit sore tomorrow, and my legs are pooped, but it felt really good. Hope the weekend is going well for everyone ~

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, LOL! B & N is Barnes and Noble, or you can go to Borders if you prefer them. Great job on the run! I decided to try and push my speed on my short run days. I figure that long runs are for endurance training and the short ones for speed. I think I am going to be sore tomorrow too. Kitrin

Ultrachick

Good run today Leslie and you too Kitrin and YOU TOO GREG!!! 7:00 50k time! 28th place out of 69! Fabulous! I looked up the results....race report? Leslie, I looked online forthe article but the Running Times web site is still in October not November so go to B&N and read it for free there with a Starbucks coffee. Well, I made it over 8 miles today and ran 10 with no knee pain. I did have some walking breaks on the hills because I was with Jack who pushes me out of my slow comfort zone. He wan't pushing today-I was trying to keep up. I'll be sore tomorrow too but from sitting on my butt writing my paper! Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I was not very sore at all today. I guess ibuprofen is a magic pill! Thank you for looking up the results, Kelly, and WAY TO GO GREG!!! I knew you would do well. Big grin Did the weather behave? I went to the high school track today to run a short 1.5 miles. I was shocked to see that I was running close to a 10 minute mile pace. It must be because of the nice even ground. After my run, I did a set of stairs on the bleachers and some upper body presses on the low and high pipe-style fencing around the outside of the track. I do not see how street runners do it, running on boring, hard ground. I definitely prefer the trail. Leslie, I read your race report and enjoyed it. Well done! I also read about your health assessment. I think you are superior, but it has nothing to do with your fitness. Smile Welcome to another week! Kitrin
                  YOU TOO GREG!!! 7:00 50k time! 28th place out of 69! Fabulous!
                  WOO HOO!! Way to go, Greg!! Congrats on the 10 miles, Kelly. Looks like you're well on your way to being healthy again. Kitrin - I agree on the road running - Dead. I only do it during the week 'cause I have to.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Howdy guys! Thanks for the congrat.'s Kitrin, CONGRATULATIONS on your PR! You just keep going girlfriend. You have a lot of untapped potential in you, I can see it. You have to surpass some mental barriers and you'll be fine. Just keep going and you'll learn much about yourself in the process. Kelly, way to go on the pain free running. That is no small feat. I know what it's like to run with pain and it can make the whole running thing a feat of endurance in a whole new way. You too Leslie. Good job. Slow is the way to go for distance I'm discovering. How's the lower hr running feel? I was amazed when I first started about how far I could go and feel like I hadn't hardly run. Definitely takes longer till your pace picks up later. Here is my brief report, the essence of what I can remember. Well, what a tough little race. It's hard to remember all the details. The first 7-8 miles flew by. The area was hit by a cold front that blew through the night before. Some local areas lost power. I thought there was going to be a lot of downed trees but there weren't any. What it did do was take a lot of the leaves off of the trees. The weather was beautiful, clear, crisp, low humidity. Perfect running weather. The trail was very undulating, up and down, covered in leaves in most spots. It was very rocky. Some spots were just plain silly, climbing over boulders. Lots of roots, rocks, and ankle rolling. The Bluff at mile 16 was ridiculously steep. My hr jacked and my thighs were screaming. I just took it easy and pulled myself up with the trees and used the roots as steps. Very steep. Two false summits, then a great view. Cool running on the edge of the drop off briefly then down the other side. Weaving in and out of little valleys and drainage areas. Very pretty. Right before aid station 4 there was a cool area that reminded me of running in Ireland or something, the trail going through sparse areas of trees along the top of the hill, running on lichen covered granite. Giant boulders, the size of 2 SUV's, deposited by glaciers. The remaining 7 miles or so was on logging roads. I was whooped. I blew my race strategy right from the start by going out too fast. I wanted to ease into the run to kick in fat burning, walking and jogging to bring up the hr slowly. Instead, I ran with the pack into the woods, about mid pack, which then became single file for the next 3 miles. I didn't slow down till about mile 5. By then I just decided to run without regard to heart rate. First 10 good, second 10 beginning to feel it pretty good. Last 13, I'm a hurting zombie. At mile 10, I was on for a 6:30 finish. Lost that over the next 20 miles, finished in 7:00:14. My goal was to break 7. I just didn't have it in me to run the last 2.5 home hard. I feel a little guilty and soft for that, but I'm pleased overall. 10,000' of gain. I assumed the 16,000' of elevation listed on the website was gain and loss each, but it was cumulative. My gps listed 10,000' gain, but I ran off trail a total of 3 miles. So I figure if I had stayed on trail, I would have reached my goal. I did total of 33.2 miles. Oh well. So it was 8,000' of gain, and 8'000 feet of loss. Pretty tough course. I was spent. Overall, a very good race. The finish needed a keg of beer and some pizza, but other than that, all was good. Some orange slices and water really hit the spot at the finish. The volunteers were great and I tried to thank them when I could remember to. The course was very well marked too and I just wasn't paying attention a few times, looking at the ground. I would definitely recommend it, but not for a newb. The winner won in 4:37 or something. Unbelievable in light of the footing, or lack there of. I was stumbling around all day, literally. My hips hurt today. While running, the only thing that hurt was my feet and developing blisters. My achilles hurt after walking when I would start moving again. I stopped a few times on the way home to go into rest areas, and that was an interesting experience. But after doing that a few times, by the end of the evening I was fine. Today, no pain. Ran 3 miles on the treadmill, all low hr. Stoked about that. I finished 27th out of 69, as there's someone inappropriately placed in front of me timewise in the results. Not quite the top third of the field. Fueling was honey, Honey Stingers, and Gu. I think I was dehydrated some for the last 10. I'm still working on the fueling piece of this gig. Kelly, I said hi to Jerry and asked him about you and Jack. Of course he knew you, and said to say hi. Said right off you did a 100 this year. He was doing the slam this year but got sick before Leadville and DNF'd.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Thanks for the report, Greg. Sounds like a doozy at some spots! Shocked I think you did absolutely fantastic. And this was your first ultra in how long?? (I think I'm a little jealous. Big grin ) I may have to try this whole honey thing on my training runs, see if it upsets my stomach. From what I've read, it seems to give people a real energy boost. Hmmmm . . . Again - Congrats!!!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg, Thanks for the race report and I am so glad the weather behaved for you!!! Way to hang in there when your plan does not go as planned. Wink Sound like a fun run, if you are prepared for a mess like that. Did you know the route before you ran it or did all the junk come as a complete surprise? Speaking of races, mine is in less than two weeks now, Nov 8. I plan to walk/run the route for my race sometime in the next week, since it is only about 1/2 - 1 hour drive from where I live. I want to know what to expect. Plus, that way I have less chance of getting lost while driving to the start on race day. Smile I was surprised to wake up this morning with some mild soreness on the back of my thigh. Is that the IT that you guys keep talking about? It felt like something that runs from my buttocks to the middle of the back of my thigh. I expected to be sore after my long run (wasn't), but I guess the short, fast 1.5 on harder ground caused more strain? I do not expect long term problems and today was my off day, so I bet I will be good to go in the morning. My 30 minute run is tomorrow. I can't wait to do an official trail race of significant distance. Will I be a bonafide trail runner when I do? Kitrin
                          I knew it was going to be challenging. I was expecting more hills and wasn't expecting the amount of rocks I got. This was an inaugural race so nobody except the locals knew what to expect. Good luck with your race! Just keep running, the soreness is not serious. You're learning to distinguish between injury sore and training effect sore. Every day I have some weird pain. Today, it's my left arch/outside of my foot. Pains like these come and go. Watch them, and see what happens. If it sticks around or gets worse, then there's something to look at. Guess what? You're bona fide already. Wink We are called the Neo Trail runners (semi) extreme team for a reason. We can't all be like Karl Meltzer or Steve Pero, who run nothing but trails. But that's cool. We can use the road when we have to. We're just a little community that has hung together for the last year+ who run on trails and race too. This was only my 3rd ultra, and you don't have to do ultras or even race to enjoy the trails or hang here! CoolKeep on keepin on girl. We're all rootin for ya. Glad to hear you're excited. Keep us posted on the training.

Ultrachick

Quick hello before bed. Great Job Greg! Glad it went well and no worries about blowing the plan. You regrouped and finished! Kitrin-the pain you're talking about sounds like a hamstring. IT band is usually on the outside edge of your knee. A good way to stretch it is to lie on your back, raise your leg in the air-toes towards the ceiling and hinge at the knee raising your foot up and down. If you're not already warmed up, take it easy on the firstfew so you don't pull anything. This is a dynamic stretch and what my AT has me do in between therapies for my tight left hamstring (which is still bothering me). I'm slowly catching up on my anatomy homework and it's snowing here!!!! Shocked Woo Hoo! Of course, I was a weenie today and couldn't bring myself to run outside in the 40's, pouring rain and 20mph gusting winds. I did do 1.2 miles with my class this morning though. We also did 10 lunges each side with one leg going forward and then the other leg going back, 10 more same way but reach towards the ankle of the stable leg, 10 curtsy lunges (leg goes back on diagnol) and finished with 10 single leg squats. I carried 12lb dumbbells through all this-my butt hurts. Kelly
                            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                              I ran 5.5 in 34 degree rain/sleet/snow. Tried to cross the creek through the woods, which was raging, and slipped in the mud. Totally soaked for the whole run. Almost froze my junk off, no kidding. I was wearing shorts, an Underarmour shirt, a fleece jacket and a Buff on my head (kind of like a bandana). Very, very cold. I got back and took a hot batch, but I couldn't tell it was hot. I only knew it was hot from the spin of the dial. Took me many minutes to get warm again. Gotta get some cold weather gear.

We also did 10 lunges each side with one leg going forward and then the other leg going back, 10 more same way but reach towards the ankle of the stable leg, 10 curtsy lunges (leg goes back on diagnol) and finished with 10 single leg squats. I carried 12lb dumbbells through all this-my butt hurts. Kelly
                                I bet your butt hurts! I can do squats, but lunges mess with my right knee, unfortunately. I've backed off of them, did other single leg stuff (mostly variations on squatting and step-ups). Worked on strengthening the area around the knee, but nope. The last time I did lunges, I'm not sure what happened, but the pain was fast and intense and I said a few bad 4-letter words. Kinda made me sick to my stomach. Kitrin - Work on those hammies. They carry quite a load and get a bad rap. Keep them strong and stretched out, and a lot of problems will be eliminated and/or avoided. Greg - Get some cold weather gear!! I was shiverin' just reading about your run. We're suppose to get our first rains of the season this Friday and Saturday (too bad for the trick or treaters), which means it'll be a soggy run on Saturday all by my lonesome. Did 1 hour of strength/core this a.m., plus 30 min on the stationary bike. Pleasantly tired and wishing I could go back to bed. Smile

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance