Trail Runners

Question for Kelly/Ultrachick - Or Whoever Wants to Give Their 2 Cents Worth (Read 213 times)

Kelly - You mentioned power hiking and running on hills.  What's your ratio of power hiking the ascents to running them, regardless of how slow the run might be?  We've been practicing a 20/20 - run 20 steps, walk 20 steps.  Of course, the more tired I get the ratios change.  But I'm still trying to figure out the most efficient method of getting up the hills without completely destroying myself.

Also, I've gotten better at using the full front half of my foot, any other input in foot placement/use would be appreciated.

As far as leg strengthening, on my strength training days, I do:

Step Ups - 10-15 lbs each shoulder, foot placed on 18" high step, push up and lower down 3 sets of 15 for each leg

Bulgarian Squats - 10-15 lbs each hand, 3 sets of 12 to 15, depending on the weight

I'm not real big on lunges because they have a tendency to make my right knee feel "wonky."

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

The King of Beasts

may I apply my .02?

I like to hike the whole hill or run the whole hill (if it is small or I feel good at the end of a race/run), I find that running a few steps then hiking tends to change the threshold so wildly that it is not worth it (for me).  If I know it is going to be a long climb (Colorado Style) I dont even run the flats in the climb, I just use the time to catch my breath.

Just focus on making it to the top of the hill, maybe walk a few paces over the top to catch your breath, and then get to running. 

I find that keeping the same threshold is calming and comforting espically if I am going to be on my feet all day.

The strength training will help with your climbing skills, be it running or hiking.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Ultrachick

WooHoo-talk about feeling special!  A whole thread to me!  Thanks! 

Honestly, I don't have a hike/run ratio to get up the hills.  It all depends upon the hill.  As you know, I train by heart rate but when I'm racing I don't pay much attention to the watch.  Similar to what Another One said-I'll try to run up the hill as far as I can but once I feel my heart rate really start to climb then I go to a hike/walk.  I never get to the top of a hill where I have to stop and catch my breathe.  I can pretty much take off at the pace I was going before I reached the hill and if there's a downhill then bonus I can recover a bit more.

I've been playing with being up on my toes or the front half of my foot going uphill and taking short little steps-similar to going up stairs and almost really slowing down at the bottom so that my heart rate doesn't start to sky rocket going up and hopefully maintaining that slow and steady pace so that I don't walk at all.  But, like I said I have this comfort zone that once I start to go above it then I'm walking.  Jack recommends getting the arms swinging and leaning forward to get the hill.  I also try to remember that I'm not strolling through the mall, the clock is still ticking to walk uphill fast.  If you're going up a hill walking and the person next to you is running and you're not losing much ground then you'll be better off in the long run saving the energy by walking and finishing stronger than the other person.  Given enough real estate and being patient, you have a good chance of passing them and leaving them behind.  Maybe put in your training some time where you practice walking fast even if it's on flat ground.  Training like that can come in handy going through aid stations where you may be eating but it's hard to eat and run but can eat and walk.

For weights, I can understand the lunge thing.  Maybe try doing lunges in a static position where the front knee is over the front ankle, the back foot is up on the toes with the knee bent and dropping the back knee and hips straight down and back up either with dumbbells in each hand or a bar across your shoulders.  A little added fun, have the front foot on a BOSU or inflated disc to activate the core and work on balance.  Having the front foot unstable would just be like being out on the trail and stepping on a rock or root. 

Good you do squats and I also do anything that will strengthen the glute medius because it's usually the root of IT band problems.  Take an Exering and put around both ankles.  Balancing on one foot with a soft knee, raise the other leg laterally away from you.  It's not important how high the moving leg is going, it's the balancing leg that's doing all the work stabilizing you.  Try not to touch down the moving leg and keep pressure on the ring so that it's not loose when you bring your foot in.  Start with a set of 10 on each side and build up to 2-3 sets of 12-15.  If the butt cheek of the standing leg is hurting then you're doing it right.  Another variation is to walk sideways with the ring around your ankles.  I'm a big buns of steel fan so anything you can do that strengthens your butt is a good thing.  With your step ups, bring the knee up on top of the step as you step up and then step down again more balance work and activating the core.  When was the last time your coach changed your weight routine?  and hopefully he periodizes it to go along with your training schedule.

Email me at kellypersonaltrainer@yahoo.com if you want pictures with better descriptions.

Kelly

Hope this helps you-it seems to work for me.  Hopefully others will throw in their two cents too. 

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

WooHoo-talk about feeling special!  A whole thread to me!  Thanks! 

Just tryin' to make you feel special.

The Exering thing/exercise - I have no idea what you're talking about.  My email is fatozzig@yahoo.com

A static lunge is probably best for my knee.  I haven't tried a static with the BOSU.  I was doing a regular lunge on the BOSU, but after a couple of times of feeling like my knee was explode, I decided to stop those.

My strength training routine changes about every 6 weeks.  I'm coming up on a change within the next week or two.

Re HR - I'm suppose to keep my HR between 150 and 160.  However, when I'm running trails, I up it to about 168/169 or I'd be walking every hill.  My goal is to NOT have my monitor go off, which I've been successful at for the last couple of months.  I can definitely tell that my fitness level  has increased, and although I know my leg strength has increased a great deal, I'm always looking for ways to improve on that.

Re the butt muscles - I have some exercises from my PT that incorporates the BOSU, and I need to start doing a couple of those again.  They worked the butt, quads (everything supporitve around the knee), and balance.  I remember the first week of doing all the exercises - good lord!!  I literally was sore from my neck to my ankles.

Another - Yep, you can always give your .02 worth.

Thanks!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I pretty much walk all the hills...but they are pretty big out here.  I may take 1-3 hours to climb one...

Ultrachick

Here's an Xering from Spri

http://http://www.spri.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=56

They come in different resistances. 

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.