Swim Bike Run

New Bike (Read 312 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Okay, I’ve done two triathlons and I am ready to take the plunge and buy a real bike.  The bike I have been using is an old road bike the I bought for $25.00 at a yard sale a few years back.  It has done the trick thus far, but I definitely need something better (and newer).

I think I’ve found my next bike…2010 Motobecane Nemesis.  Does anyone have any recommendations/reviews on this bike (for or against).  I’ve looked at the reviews on-line, but I’m just trying to get some additional feedback.  Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Would this be an online purchase?  Personally, I think if you're spending more than a couple hundred bucks that you owe it to yourself to be properly fit by a shop...a shop that will stand behind your purchase and include some tune-ups in the first 6-12 months (because cables stretch and other things will need tweaking in the first few hundred miles).  You definitely get what you pay for with bicycles.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Home Away From Home

Personally, I think if you're spending more than a couple hundred bucks that you owe it to yourself to be properly fit by a shop

I agree with Kirsten, bought mine from a small shop and they where great, got to take it out on the streets for awhile and test drive, then they adjusted everything, answered all my questions so I knew it was set just right and from day 1 I have not been uncomfortable on it.

(Least till I added aero bars that Kirsten has been helping me with as well but that is another thread)

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I still have to add mine, too, though I probably won't be using them a huge amount, since they are sorta frowned-upon in paceline riding, which I do quite frequently.  Mine will likely not live on my bike too much.

~ Sarah Kay

Home Away From Home

Ha, I still have to add mine, too, though I probably won't be using them a huge amount, since they are sorta frowned-upon in paceline riding, which I do quite frequently.  Mine will likely not live on my bike too much.

I am still getting use to mine but least now they are more comfortable. Biggest thing I find is that I leave my ship and have to ride through the city to get far enough out of town to be able to use them where there are no street crossings, lights etc where i have to stop and start. Once I get to open road though I like them, not sure yet if after race day thought they will stay or go, I don't mind spending time in the drops.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

IMKY13 finish!!

Would this be an online purchase?  Personally, I think if you're spending more than a couple hundred bucks that you owe it to yourself to be properly fit by a shop...a shop that will stand behind your purchase and include some tune-ups in the first 6-12 months (because cables stretch and other things will need tweaking in the first few hundred miles).  You definitely get what you pay for with bicycles.

Yes, it would be an on-line purchase.  We actually bought my wife’s bike from this same place and they were great.  The bike we bought was originally a 2009 close out model for $700.00 (normally $2,200) and had it shipped to REI here.  When they were assembling it, they noticed a ding in the bike, so I called the company and they said that they didn’t have any more 2009 models in her size, so he asked me if a 2010 model would be alright (same price)…so they paid to have defective bike shipped back, and new bike shipped to REI (I only had to pay the shipping once).

So far we’ve only had to pay for the original assembly.  REI has changed out pedals (my wife went from clipped pedals to regular pedals & now back to clipless pedals) and each time they have oiled the chain, tightened the brakes, cables, gears, etc…all at no charge (not to mention all the riding advice & tips).

So the on-line place and the bike shop have treated us super!!

That being said…does anyone know anything about Motobecane and/or Motobecane Nemesis?  Thanks!!

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

Slo

I don't know much about Motobecane. What I believe that I know is that this is a French Bike builder that went under and was bought by Bikes Direct. In the MTB sector they are thought to offer sub standard frames...I don't know that. It's really tough to sort thru reviews on the internet. I did go do some surfing and I still see that being brought up.

Re: the specific bike your looking at:

For $'s I'm quite impressed with the list of components. A mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra. Truvative or FSA Carbon cranks, Decent wheel set...Even the least expensive one is outfitted very nicely.

For the prices I've seen it's tough to go wrong. Even if there are frame issues.

I didn't compare, and I don't know your body type but there is some buzz that this frame is closer to a Road Bike than it is a Tri Specific. That really doesn't mean alot. I can set up a road bike to mimic a tri frame pretty closely. I ride a Litespeed Ultimate which is REALLY close to a Road frame (I actually have it outfitted as a road bike) But this was marketed as a tri bike.(1999, things have changed a little) I kick ass on this bike.

I could write more but bottom line...If your picking this bike up for the prices Bike Direct has listed and those are the components your getting...It's a good deal. It's entry level pricing with top components. There may be a bike snob or two that belong to the Cervelo Mafia that give you the cold shoulder but screw 'em...you still have your retirement account. Besides, you can always scoop up a top level frame later on Ebay and throw your components on it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Besides, you can always scoop up a top level frame later on Ebay and throw your components on it.

That's a good point.  And if you're having REI do the assembly, then that's not a bad deal.  I've heard no negatives re: REI's bike service.  I wish we had an REI store near us every time people talk about shopping there.

~ Sarah Kay

There may be a bike snob or two that belong to the Cervelo Mafia that give you the cold shoulder but screw 'em...you still have your retirement account. Besides, you can always scoop up a top level frame later on Ebay and throw your components on it.

I agree.  I've never heard of them before, but I think it looks slick.  The only thing I'd say relates to the front derailler.... I've had a bike with a similar mounting bracket as this frame has (from a different manufacturer that's out of business too), and for whatever reason, it broke off.  Now, it hangs from my garage as a spare bike for parts because I couldn't find anybody that would fix it for me.  I vowed to avoid that mounting bracket assembly on any future bike.

But that bike had about 7 or 8 good years of riding before it broke.

Best wishes. 
                    (That's a great price for a triathlon bike!)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

IMKY13 finish!!

That's a good point.  And if you're having REI do the assembly, then that's not a bad deal.  I've heard no negatives re: REI's bike service.  I wish we had an REI store near us every time people talk about shopping there.

They have been great to us!!! 

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!