Windy City Runners

Weeklies Jan 28th- Feb 3rd (Read 18 times)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Spotted Cow is one of the main reasons ... my lunch run yesterday was a fail. 

Oh boy!  Keep it under control!  LOL,

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Sharz96

2.9 miles this am.  Temp was 18, so warmer than expected, but the wind was horrible.  As much as I could, I stayed on north-south streets in the very heart of the subdivision, for the most housing protection as possible.  Not too bad then, but whenever I had to go east-west at all, it was brutal.

I think I'm going to have to be very flexible to stick with that dang pace bunny for the next month.  Sticking to the plan won't work.  No more starting the week (Monday) with a rest day, unless Monday looks to be the worst day of the week.  Gotta run 4-6 miles any time we have even half way decent weather, in order to allow for a mere 2 miles on bad days, or even a cancellation.  And to allow for the likelihood that a true long run may not be smart some weeks.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Oh boy!  Keep it under control!  LOL,

I wish- I haven't had any cow in a couple of months now!

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Duke of the Internet

I wish- I haven't had any cow in a couple of months now!

Just too easy.  I must resist.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Just too easy.  I must resist.

I would've jumped all over that.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Sharz96

No running the past two days.  We got a couple inches of snow here.  I've been fighting a cold, half sick.  I don't feel terrible, but I decided running in temps as bitterly cold has it's been was probably not a wise decision.  We'll see about tomorrow.

Kalsarikännit

I headed out for my "long" run yesterday at 7 am. Sidewalks and the lakefront path were under a couple inches of snow. Unfortunately, it wasn't that awesome crunchy snow. It was sliding around snow. I do a three mile run to meet up with the CARA marathon training group. It is ridiculous, but I gave the $150 so I wouldn't procrastinate in the morning. Silly of me, but whatever works. I joined a group that is running 30 sec/mi faster than my easy pace.  I then add six miles of easy running. Between that and the hard tempo I do on Fridays (to get a tough back-to-back for ultras), I am destroyed by the end of the long run. I have to hang on for every last step. Anyways, that run was very rough, and I only ended up with 13.5 miles.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

BuckeyeNurse

Sharz, hope you feel better soon!

WrigleyGirl, ugh, that sounds rough.  Can you move into a different pace group, or did you purposely pick it for your back-to-back quality runs?  Do they clear the Lakefront at all in the winter?

I did 6 recovery miles in the snow yesterday, which was nice, but today I have 16 with 10 at marathon pace.  I think it's probably smarter to hit the TM so I can maintain good MP miles since my pace in the snow was pretty varied- speed up when you hit a clear patch, then walk over the ice, then trudge through the unshoveled areas, rinse and repeat.

TM sounds boring though- last week I rented a movie on my iPad and propped it up on the little ledge and I think the other gym-goers thought I was insane.  I'll have to see if I can find something else good to rent today.

Trail Dog

The John Dick 50k was awesome! Driving through the snow to Wisconsin was a little stressful, but it was worth it -- the trails were beautiful! I estimate 3-4 inches of fresh snow on top of another 3 or so that fell a few days ago. Temperature at the start was 8*, and I don't think it warmed up much during the day. The route wasn't decided until that morning, but we ended up with a circuit of 2 loops, then back to the start/finish and aid station -- complete both loops four times, then go out a fifth time but only for that first loop. First loop was tough because we were breaking through fresh snow, but the loops got easier as the runners trampled down a path in the snow. Badger and I ran together, which made it even more enjoyable - he is a great pacer, and this was our first time to actually race together (we usually do our own thing). This was just a training run for me, so I didn't go all out. Finished around 6:24, which I was happy with given the conditions. The aid station was awesome, because the PB&J and bananas were completely frozen. There was a jar of pickles, and they were frozen solid. When you picked up a cup of water, you had to give it a hard squeeze to break the ice. Smile I definitely feel like a bad ass for finishing this race, by far the coldest temps I have ever run in. And the cheapest race at $10.

WrigleyGirl, you would really enjoy John Dick. It is very low key. The RD (also the Glacial Trail RD) also raced, and placed 4th (maybe 3rd?). After the volunteer checks off your final loop, you have to go into the shelter and write down your own finish time based on the stop watch attached to the clipboard. Lots of food and free beer (PBR, High Life, Red Dog, BYOB if you like something better). I'm not sure how many people started, but a bunch of people DNFd.

Went out for 6 recovery miles on the DPRT today. The bottom of my feet are a little sore, but not to bad.

Watching the Super Bowl and drinking some New Glarus beer. Weekends just don't get any better than this!