Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Smashy!!!

You know what they say about great minds...

Woman, I expect that from CBus, not you Big grin

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

I figured he would chime in so I had to beat him to it!  Joking

Woman, I expect that from CBus, not you Big grin

Ball of Fury

I guess you guys really are running twins....just like myself and Rollcast!  Seriously, I really did learn my lesson.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Yesterday I was crashing like crazy cakes. But I can't tell if that's because of the 12 miles or because DW and I were watching "Life of Pi" (FYI, fell asleep midway). Still a little stiff from yesterday's 12, but I think the worst of this cold is over. So, I'll do 6 really easy today.

Onemile, I was typing on the iPad all weekend, so I couldn't really write long messages. So my messages might have sounded a little snarky. But basically I agree with Dark Streets. Feeling like you left time on the course, to me, means you ran according to your fitness. I think if you got aggressive in the first half, then you would've really struggled in the second half, and I think very well could have missed 3:45 all together. But the way you described how you felt (not feeling too beat up) is exactly how I think Hansons want you to feel. Pfitz, I think, is the other way: he wants to you slightly fading. But the Hansons make very clear: they want your last miles to be your strongest. I'm with the Hansons on this one because feeling strong is more important to me. So, YES, I am "tsking" you for feeling like you left time on the course! Also, I wanted to really thank you for your RR. I found the way you were comparing your race effort to the ways you felt during training very informative, and I will be looking for those kinds of data points in my own training, and come my race in Oct. (so, when are you running Columbus Smile).

Indi, I basically agree with Onemile. But in your case, things are a bit different. The tough part in my view is having only 1 easy day between Tempo and LR. I, like Onemile, felt I needed the full two days to run that LR effectively. On the other hand, you'll have two easy days between LR and Speed/Strength. That combined with the fact that you are very strong runner, maybe you can run 18-20 mile LRs, and get away with it. You might feel a little more spent on Monday, but with the extra easy day, you'll probably feel ready for Speed by Wed. The real issue will be: can you get recovered from the Tempo to tackle the LR that soon? 

Ami, that really sucks to hear about your ITBS. While I agree with Onemile, that you paid a little today for yesterday's great run, the ITBS to me sounds like its own issue. I know you said Graston finally hurt. Are you going this week? If he gets in there again, then hopefully you'll see some benefits soon.     

Good morning!  Thanks for all the feedback yesterday.  I'm strongly considering Lehigh as it fits really well into DH and my schedule.  10 miles at an easy average 9:38 pace this morning.  Actually timed my miles for the first time ever on a long run?  Yeah...I know I need to take more advantage of the technology at my disposal.  Anyway, my splits were as follows.  Bear in mind I run on rolling hills.  Not much else in Atlanta.  Flats are hard to come by.  That's one reason I go to the track...so I can do some flat runs.

So, my question is how bad is my pacing?  If I do Hansons, I'm going to have to be more disciplined for sure, correct?

10:27 (warm up mile)

9:34

9:31

9:41

9:43

9:21

9:24

9:42

9:39

9:16

Come out and join me on the Silver Comet.  It is quite flat compared to where you're running.  I started at the trail head in Mableton yesterday for 3wu+12MP+3cd=18 miles.  It looks like your splits were about 5 seconds per mile faster than mine.  I was actually running 10 seconds faster per mile than my targeted marathon pace for Lake Wobegon.  Here is my RA entry.

I have had some time to quickly scan through Hansons again.  If I am healed I may well give it a try with the following modifications:

- Speedwork has to be done on Wenesday, leaving Thursday as the day off.

- Tempo and strenth will have to be on Friday, so I will only get one easy day before the long run.

- I know myself well enough to say that some of the long runs are going to run from 18 to 20.

All opinions are encouraged.

If I decide that Hansons is not doable, I may modify Pfitz ala Hudson, and come up with my own plan shifting VO2 stuff tp the front end and tempo stuff to the back half.

This is my modification of the 20 week 60 - 80 plan I hope to follow for Chicago.  It does have a number of 18 and 20 milers in it.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Onemile : I felt the same way at Philly - my first real marathon - i just felt GOOD at the end, like, not out of steam, still pumping with adrenaline, big negative split.  I have no idea if the counterfactual is true: had I gone out faster, would I have finished stronger? No clue.  i might have run out of steam.  The only thing i do know is that my first mile of elbows-in-the-face at 10:10 was unnecessarily slow.  I think if you are running a fairly evenly split and conservative race with no really radical outlying miles like that , you raced SMART, and therefore, don't feel like crap (also, we're still pretty young, so we have that on our side).

Docket: "Dunes of heaven"  Sounds ironic to me!

Me: I was supposed to run 5 yesterday but am doing them today instead because we decided to go open-housing by my parents' near NYC.  Basically solidified the need to move out of state.  For close to $1 million you can get a small shack in need of gut renovation.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Indi, I basically agree with Onemile. But in your case, things are a bit different. The tough part in my view is having only 1 easy day between Tempo and LR. I, like Onemile, felt I needed the full two days to run that LR effectively. On the other hand, you'll have two easy days between LR and Speed/Strength. That combined with the fact that you are very strong runner, maybe you can run 18-20 mile LRs, and get away with it. You might feel a little more spent on Monday, but with the extra easy day, you'll probably feel ready for Speed by Wed. The real issue will be: can you get recovered from the Tempo to tackle the LR that soon? 

My issue is more having only one easy day between the LR (usually with MP miles) and Tuesday's short intervals.  I went out for my easy run this morning (after yesterdays 3wu+12MP+3cd = 18 miles) and had trouble putting one foot in front of another.  I think I started off barely better than 15:00 mpm.  lol.  It took me a mile to loosen up.  Tomorrow I have 2wu+8(400@5kw400r)+2cd = 8 miles.  Luckily I am now officially in "taper mode"  (at least as much of a taper has the Hansons' plan gives you.)  Otherwise it would be 12 intervals instead of 8.

I guess you guys really are running twins....just like myself and Rollcast!  Seriously, I really did learn my lesson.

thats really funny since i had to cut my 6.5 mile short yesterday (4 mile) do to leg fatigue from running my Saturday faster than i should of.

But hey, a 40 mile has me very excited.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

I agree with you. That's why Indi having two, instead of one, easy day between LR and Quality Day might translate into him being able to do 18-20 mile LRs--he's got the extra easy day.

My issue is more having only one easy day between the LR (usually with MP miles) and Tuesday's short intervals.  I went out for my easy run this morning (after yesterdays 3wu+12MP+3cd = 18 miles) and had trouble putting one foot in front of another.  I think I started off barely better than 15:00 mpm.  lol.  It took me a mile to loosen up.  Tomorrow I have 2wu+8(400@5kw400r)+2cd = 8 miles.  Luckily I am now officially in "taper mode"  (at least as much of a taper has the Hansons' plan gives you.)  Otherwise it would be 12 intervals instead of 8.

Smashy!!!

Big Board is all updated. If you've got info, please post it there. Also, if you want something to be noted as a PR or something else, please also post it (I can't keep track of who got a PR or AG place etc.)

Ball of Fury

Roll:  that is funny!

CBus:  Graston tomorrow and Friday, then once early next week.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Yes, I agree - that should help.  Provided you can still run the LR paces with only one recovery day after the tempo.

I agree with you. That's why Indi having two, instead of one, easy day between LR and Quality Day might translate into him being able to do 18-20 mile LRs--he's got the extra easy day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well, your pace was fast while mine was a mixture of shuffle and walk, doh.

You are insane. I could hardly shuffle from my parking lot to the office and you're running today?

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Listen to Jenny, AmiK!

That sucks about your run this morning but I guess you can let this be a lesson not to run your LR's too fast!  I've done it myself when I was feeling good but then you pay for it later!   (But you did really rock it yesterday!  But maybe try to hold back next time)

Yes, Hansons Advanced from the book.  Really the only changes I did was bump up two of the LRs to 18 and I tried to do the longer wu/cds (they give you a range of 1.5-3 miles for each wu/cd)

Damaris