Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

I am questioning the 5K pace for intervals.  Am I to use my actual 5K pace or the pace recommended in the book for my goal MP?

Actually, I run the 5k paces as fast as I can and still complete the workout without having to slow below my target pace.  So for example, this morning the protocol was 2wu+8(400@5kw400r)+2cd and I was going to do 7:50 as 5k pace (even though I don't know if I can do a 5k at that pace).  As it turns out, I averaged 7:41 for the fast intervals.  So, I just go as fast as I can such that I can complete all the intervals at my target pace or less, in this case 7:50 or less. When I get to the point that I can also do the Hanson half mile and 1k intervals at/under 7:50, then I'll drop it to 7:45, rinse and repeat.

onemile

Sprinkles - I definitely think you can! You seem to do well at the marathon distance based on your last one.  Go for it.

D - enjoy your 6.

RVD- I sort of did the same. I started with my actual 5k pace (7:19) but ran faster when I could and was aiming closer to 7:05 by the end of the speed section.

Feeling quite a bit better today but still not ready to run.

QOTD - how much time do you take off after a marathon and what does your return to running look like?

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  I was supposed to have my last strength run this morning, but I knew when I got out of bed I shouldn't attempt it.  So, I did 6 miles easy @ 10:01/mile.  My left leg felt perfectly fine, but in my right leg, I had what I would call mild to moderate discomfort (not pain) with every step.  It feels almost like there is a bruise on my quad and with each step, someone is pushing on it...does that make sense?  It's kinda weird.  It absolutely altered my gait for the first 2 miles and then I was able to get in a groove and my gait was normal, but the discomfort did not go away.  Any thoughts?  And given that I missed my strength run today, what do you guys think I should do for the rest of the week.  Two options:  1) Strength run tomorrow, easy run Thursday, Tempo Friday, easy run Sat, and LR Sunday OR 2) Easy run tomorrow, tempo Thursday, Easy Friday and Saturday, and LR Sunday...any opinions appreciated!  In other developments, a faster runner in my Midwest RW group has offered to pace me to a 1:45 at the HM next weekend.  He ran Boston and doesn't want to run the Mini all-out and is good at even pacing.  He thinks we should start at 7:55/mile to account for crowds and tangents.  I don't know why the 7:55/mile seems much faster in my head than 8:00/mile!!  Of course, this is assuming my ITBs are feeling ok and it's not super hot like last year.  I thought I had PT today but I guess they close at noon so I made an appointment for tomorrow.

Onemile:  I had to laugh at you telling Nick not to run too fast like you did!  I absolutely think you can BQ in the fall!  As for the QOTD, I have read you need to take it easy for as many days as your race was, so 26 days!  Now, I don't think that means don't run for 26 days, but gradually getting in some easy miles.

Docket:  Enjoy your 6!

Sprinkles:  You do seem to be good at the marathon distance and I think you can go for the 3:40-3:45!

Nick:  I think you can do it, just listen to your body and don't be afraid to take a day off here or there.  Now, if you are just tired, an easy run may be better for recovery than taking a rest day.

Zoe:  Sorry you are still dealing with calf issues, and glad you had a nice 6-mile run yesterday.

Josh:  Ugh....just ugh!!  I seriously hate ITBS!

MDawg:  Congrats on registering and good for you to have the courage to go for it!!

Indy:  I hope your PT/Graston goes well.  As for the 5K pace, I ran mine just a bit faster than my 5K PR, because I thought it was soft (I still think it might be, but obviously I didn't prove that at my last 5K).  I think the most important thing is to pace correctly and hit your goal well enough to complete the intervals, as well as to recover enough for your other runs.  If I recall, the biggest thing he talks about in the book is that if you run the first 3 a bit too fast and the last 3 a bit too slow, even though you averaged your goal pace, you failed to run a single interval at the prescribed pace.

Jedi:  You are doing some fast running and I can't wait to see what you do on the 5th.  I have been wanting to buy some compression socks or sleeves for a while (I actually got a prescription for them so I can use money from my HSA account, which is nice since my employer puts it in there).  Have you been running in them or just wearing them around for recovery?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Amik - nice easy 6! This was first time i wore them after a LR. i figured I try them as I ran my LR a bit faster than usual to try it the Hanson way. I was pretty amazed how my legs felt the next day after wearing them after my run all day.

Jedi:  You are doing some fast running and I can't wait to see what you do on the 5th.  I have been wanting to buy some compression socks or sleeves for a while (I actually got a prescription for them so I can use money from my HSA account, which is nice since my employer puts it in there).  Have you been running in them or just wearing them around for recovery?

RVD/onemile - that is the one thing that bothers me about Hanson as they want you to run it at current 5k, but i've always run them per my McMillian paces. 400s for me are close 6:00-6:10 pace, but current 5k pace around 6:35 maybe a bit faster now.

Me - 9m total with w/u + c/d and 5m 5x5min/7min clock. I did them on TM as I was a wuss this morning being kinda cold and just too dark when I run right now. Plan was for 6x, but did not give myself enough time this am.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

Morning all,

6 recovery yesterday and 8 easy on tap today. I feel almost fully recovered from my cold, so I should be good to go.

Nick, if I read you right, you are asking if it sounds good to go ahead with the Hansons half plan, but take the extra day off when necessary? Sounds good.

Ami, sorry to hear about your injury woes. It sounds like you've got an adhesion in your thigh. Make sure when you are foam rolling your ITBS to get your quads too.

Onemile, after Twin Cities last year, I took two (I think) entire weeks off. Zero activity. Huge mistake. whatever adhesions I developed during the race set in and turned into ITBS. I decided after that to be more active in recovery. That doesn't mean running right away, but at least foam rolling. After my Half last week, I did 3 really slow miles when my body did not feel anywhere near recovered, and I think that actually sped up recovery because I felt terrific the next day. This fall, after Columbus, I'm gonna be more active whether that means foam rolling or trying to run or even walk a mile or two after a few days of rest.

Regarding the Hansons speed work and pacing, I don't think they give any strict standards. They say recent 5k PR for guidance, but they also give a 10k range, etc. So, I see it as doing what is within your capabilities with an eye toward your weaknesses. At the end of the day, whatever pace leaves you ready for Tempo after a rest day is fine. That means some people, like RV, Onemile, and Jedi, can go faster than their 5k PR and be just fine. But others, like moi, can go at a 5k-ish pace, and end up overtrained (but maybe I'm blaming Speedwork too much, since I detest it). As I'm evaluating my weaknesses, I feel like I could use some more true LT work, so I'm okay with using my Speed workouts more as true tempo workouts, and the Strength workouts as more specifically about supporting GMP. But others have different needs, and should use the Speed to address those needs accordingly.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Hi guys!

Nick, looking at your log it seems you did essentially no running at all until the end of February, then jumped up to medium mileage. That would tire anyone. For you next race you can build up a stronger base then it should be easier.

On intervals, I run longer ones slower, in other words if doing 10x400m the pace will be faster than if doing 8x800m. (There is a road near my house that is exactly 400m long so I have used it several times recently.) If doing miles, the pace will be slower again. Like RVD I adjust the pace as my fitness improves.

I have not done a 5k in the last 3 years so can only guess the pace. As long as I am tired and gasping for air at the end of the session I feel it must have done some good!

Onemile, I have no doubt there is more to come, but a marathon is long enough top be unpredictable, things can go wrong, so progress may not be linear. Each race will not be faster than the previous one, even as you gain experience there will be factors outside your control.

I do think you trained really well and ran a very strong race, and I expect the next will be even better!

Indi, my local 5k is in August, yes it tends to be hot! I have never really trained for the distance either, both times I have run it I was training for a half, maybe some day we can both get under 22 minutes!

Ami I am also planning to run around 1:45-maybe 1:42. I may use the pace bunny over the first couple of kilometres if he/she seems to be pacing correctly. i don't like having a lot of stuff to think about for the first few kilometres, after that i get into a rhythm and do not need the Garmin to know if I am on the right pace, I just run. The course I am on is fast, net downhill. When I was very fit a few years ago, and under perfect conditions, I broke 1:38. I think we lose about a minute a year after turning 60!

I am sorry to hear about all the injuries, just when the weather (in most places) is really nice for running. Hope you all recover well! Best wishes.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

onemile

Amik - I had a sort of similar "bruised" feeling on my quad that I could feel during running. Not as bad as yours though because it didn't affect my gait at all. But for a few weeks I could feel it during my runs so I mentioned it to my chiro and he grastoned it and after the bruise went away I never felt that area again.  I would go with your first option and then run the long run a little slower if needed.  Provided your legs feel okay tomorrow.

Jedi - I think as long as you can maintain consistent pacing for the 5k work, it's okay to do it faster.

cbus - I have been walking and foam rolling. I was thinking about going to get graston too before I start running again. (maybe tomorrow)

simon - yeah I agree. These things are impossible to predict and I can't expect a big improvement everytime. All I can do is train and see what happens Smile  I think 1:42-1:45 sounds reasonable. Go for it!

Smashy!!!

Ami, I forgot to weigh in on your options. I would just chalk up the lost Strength run as lost, and move on with the program without trying to make anything up. I am, however, worried that the program keeps causing you injury.

Smashy!!!

Question: I was thinking about getting a fuel belt so that I can do my LRs in the summer on paths that might not have water stops. Are you guys running with fuel belts? Are they worth it?

Ami, I forgot to weigh in on your options. I would just chalk up the lost Strength run as lost, and move on with the program without trying to make anything up. I am, however, worried that the program keeps causing you injury.

this was my concern as well, but i am not as "plan" experienced.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Docket- Hi!!!

Indiana- I just use a target pace from the book because my current 5k pace is um...9:08, because I'm too cheap to sign up to race 3.1 miles ;D

Onemile- I do love the long run.  That's why I did three 20 milers.  Once I get in my groove its like cruise control.  i just need to set that 8:30 pace as my pace and go I think and not think about how long it is.  I'm definitely going for it.  Worst case, the last 10k sucks like it did in Hartford, and I still do fine!

Ami- Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I'm hoping to break that 3:45 like woah.  Cleveland is hilly but it doesn't look awful, no worse than the hills I run here in NY every weekend.

Jedi- nice run - I prefer the TM when its dark and cold too- its not motivating to go out into that.

Cbus - Active recovery works best for me too  - spin class, walking, elliptical...low impact but staying loose.

Simon- I like the pace bunnies - keep one behind  you or in sight at all times and you know whethe r you're speeding up, slowing down, having a good day or a bad day.

Me : Set out for 5, ended up with 9 because I ran into a friend.  Avg. pace 8:56, felt easy as cake.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

bagopux

Question: I was thinking about getting a fuel belt so that I can do my LRs in the summer on paths that might not have water stops. Are you guys running with fuel belts? Are they worth it?

Yes and yes.  Even if your route has water stops, in the summer on long runs you need more than water.  You need fuel and electrolytes.  You could use gels and pills, but regularly taking in a sports drink is a much better option to beat the heat and keep your energy up.

I'm going to give a Camelbak a try this summer, with only water, but I am planning to also carry a small bottle of highly concentrated sports drink to sip on with my water.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I hate the belts but I carry a 20oz water bottle most of the time.  having water in any form that won't bother you while running is worth it during the Summer.

Damaris

I also use a water bottle, but I swap out the bottle that comes with the handheld harness with a 700 ml water bottle with a sports top that I just get at the store.  That gives me a little over 3.5 more ounces and a disposable bottle.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- I have a fuelbelt.  I've lost the bottles a few times because if I bend down to tie my shoe or stretch, sometimes they fall out.  Very annoying.  I'm thinking of using a camelback too.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55