Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

10 easy miles at 9:26 pace. Things are starting to come around, I think.

I think I really need to watch these Insanity videos to see some of these characters.

Ami, July 4th might be hectic, but maybe we can do a meet up. The zoo might be an especially good opportunity. Keep me informed.

Akalei, awesome on not feeling any pain.

Indi, good luck on the MRI.

Cmb, congrats!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

MA runner girl

Morning! errr Afternoon! Thanks for welcoming me back.

Ran 3 this morning at a sloow 10:55 pace on the TM. My shins are a bit sore from the 5k, so I wanted to take it easy. It felt REALLY easy and like I could run another 10 miles, but I was good and stopped at my planned 3. Yesterday I went ahead and planned out the next 16 weeks until my half. Going to start adding in one speedwork or tempo session a week starting next week. Will be a bummer to use paces from the 5k, so much slower than I'm used to doing speedwork, but I'll have another chance on July 6th to change that. My plan peaks at 34 mpw, which isn't too bad.

Indiana - I'm glad you found a good replacement for running while you are injured. I am so not a biker, I have zero balance and can't get the hang of changing gears. But it is nice that you don't get as sore as with running, aside from the rear end that is. Running and motherhood are getting along well, for now. I'm off until July 8th, so I have plenty of time to fit in runs. About 75% of my runs are with the stroller, and C loooves it so it's working out well. Things will get interesting when I start working again...

Roll - 3 boys! Wow! Are they close in age? Boys are fun, DH's family is ALL boys, so I'm gearing up for another one in a few years. We both only want 2, so he told me I better not change my mind when we have 2 boys and I want to try for a girl.

akalei - Well I'm in MA, so go bruins here too, or I won't have any friends Wink

Sprinkles - Running while pregnant is defintely different. The most important thing is to throw all expectations out the window and just do what feels ok day to day.

cmb - I'm so glad you are back to running and it's going well. Ha, that's crazy that your garmin kept measuring distance. One time I stopped my garmin at the end of my easy run and it said I was running a 3:00 pace. Ha!

Garmin - I always think it's funny when people say the course was long when they run more than the race distance.

Flinders - It's been rainy here a lot too. The weatherman just said that we've had 4+ inches of rain so far in June, when normally we would have an inch!

Docket - I see your DH has started running, that's awesome! My DH ran cross country in high school and HATED it so I know he will never join me.

Ami - I'm glad you will still be posting. Good luck with the insanity! I did p90x a few years ago and it did wonders for me!

mdawg - Nice workout! I'm so jealous of your beach time. SIL and I are going one day next week, but it's certainly not as nice up here!

PRs: 5k - 21:22, half marathon - 1:39:43, marathon - 3:37:16

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei- I had the same workout as you today.  The strides murdered me because it was just so humid out.  I'm thinking of getting a HRM as well - the one that goes with my Garmin (especially because of the heat - it would be good to know where I stand pace vs effort wise).

Indi - good luck with the MRI.  I was there last year and had positive results...I hope yours comes back with an answer of some sort.

CMB - congrats on the socks! i love those.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

akalei

cmb: congrats on the job and the socks!  CEP are my favorite, that's exciting.  As for salary, don't be afraid to push for what you want.  The worst they can say is "no."

Sprinkles: remind me what GPS you have again... and how do you like it?  I remember your FB pic and I think it wasn't too obnoxiously big, right?

cbus: glad your run went well.

MA: whether you're speedy or not going into your half, you're making a comeback of a different variety, and that's great.  and you're running with a jogging stroller, so you're going to have amazing arms that i'll be totally jealous of Smile

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Talking about races being long - The HM I ran Sunday was in Ann Arbor, on the University of Michigan campus. At one point there is a out and back 180 turn with a guy there to direct you. Well, there was one guy wearing an Ohio State hat, and the person at the 180 turn was heckling him about his choice of hat. Well, I guess the OSU guy didn't realize that he was supposed to turn around there (even though there is a sign), and the course marshal person 'forgot' to tell him, and he just kept running. I heard him telling a friend afterward that he ran another half mile before realizing he was supposed to turn around, adding an additional mile to his race.

MA Runner - congratulations, and welcome back

cmb - sounds like it is going well

onemile - welcome back, you will have to share some stories

indi - it sounds like you have good bike knowledge. Have you been into bikes in the past, or just doing the research now?

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

MA - they are close in age. 22 months and 17 months apart. They like to ride their bikes while I run. Sometimes  they ask to run, they usually only last a mile or two.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

P.S. Go Blackhawks!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Roll - So I have 2 boys (boys run in my family), 20 months apart. We are thinking about a 3rd, but not sure... pros/cons of being out numbered Smile ?

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

CMB that is big news- congratulations!

OneMile, welcome back. How do I find your photos, did I miss a link? Hope you got out of the cities and got a look at the real Africa.

MA runner, glad to hear from you again.

Indi you are turning into quite a cyclist, very impressive.

Regarding Garmin and similar devices- they have some inherent limitations but I have found the two units I have had very accurate. They have measured the same distance around the same route within 2-5 yards consistently and the mapping function has shown small direction changes like crossing to the opposite side of the road. I don't bother with the elevation function because I don't care, and I know it is not very good.

Today- 10k at easy pace, warm and muggy but not too bad.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

cmb: congrats on the job and the socks!  CEP are my favorite, that's exciting.  As for salary, don't be afraid to push for what you want.  The worst they can say is "no."

Sprinkles: remind me what GPS you have again... and how do you like it?  I remember your FB pic and I think it wasn't too obnoxiously big, right?

cbus: glad your run went well.

MA: whether you're speedy or not going into your half, you're making a comeback of a different variety, and that's great.  and you're running with a jogging stroller, so you're going to have amazing arms that i'll be totally jealous of Smile

I have the Garmin 610 - it was worth the price. I love the touchscreen and its not huge on my arm like a lot of the other devices.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

CMB - congrats on the job - that is great news!

Indi - I hope the MRI is helpful and you get some answers.

Ami - I get taking a break from running for a little while.  I hope you still drop in when you can!

Cbus - glad to hear you are getting back into the groove!

Flinders - I can't wait to see how you like Hansons hehe.

Sprinkles - I think you'll do great on Pfitz.

I've been thinking about my fall plans and decided that instead of running Lakefront, I will be running the Monumental marathon instead. This will give me a few extra weeks to get my mileage back up after my vacation and also increase the chances of better weather for both training and on race day.  Indi & Ami - I'm holding out hope that you guys are healthy enough to run it because I would love to meet you two!

DetroitTigerFan

Onemile - welcome back ! did you see any cool animals out there ? how did you run go in Africa ? that must be unique in the running log !

MArunner - congrats on your son ! you need to get him a "sub 4 forum running donut" bib or one on his shirt something - lol. Did it feel weird to run for the first time after the 3 weeks ?

Indy - 45 miles !!! that seems like a monster bike ride - very cool.  Have you ever thought of biking in a linear distance and having someone pick up you up to go back home ? I bet you can see a lot of stuff in 45 miles ! I wonder if there are marathons where you travel in a straight line for 26 miles to another city - that could be cool (except for going back eventually-lol).  I hope you are feeling good

cmb - did i understand that you went running 5 times in one day?!!!

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Ball of Fury

CMB - congrats on the job - that is great news!

Indi - I hope the MRI is helpful and you get some answers.

Ami - I get taking a break from running for a little while.  I hope you still drop in when you can!

Cbus - glad to hear you are getting back into the groove!

Flinders - I can't wait to see how you like Hansons hehe.

Sprinkles - I think you'll do great on Pfitz.

I've been thinking about my fall plans and decided that instead of running Lakefront, I will be running the Monumental marathon instead. This will give me a few extra weeks to get my mileage back up after my vacation and also increase the chances of better weather for both training and on race day.  Indi & Ami - I'm holding out hope that you guys are healthy enough to run it because I would love to meet you two!

Yay!!!  We will at least try to do the half!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Yay!!!  We will at least try to do the half!

Excellent! Smile

Simon - the photos are on facebook.  If you're on fb and want to see them, PM me and I'll friend you.

DTF - I only ran once in Uganda but it was pretty awesome. About 15 of the kids at the school came with and ran barefoot, in regular clothes and had no problem chatting away and keeping up even though it was really hilly and we went a little under 5 miles.  And as far as animals, I saw elephants, lions, monkeys, baboons, mountain gorillas, kob, topi, warthogs, water buffalo, etc. It was amazing Smile

Rusk Runner

Nick - Just research, friends that are serious cyclists, and asking the pros at the shops or online.  I rode my hunk o junk as a desparation measure to stay fit and thought it interesting that I could ride up some of the hills here.  Thought I could do better on a better bike, did the research (what makes a bike more efficient, the importance of proper fit and how to fit, why clipless pedals, etc) and sure enough, with the right equipment you can do better and it can be fun.  But seriously I soooooooooo want to be running again.  And I am very interested to know if the cycling is going to help my running.

Onemile - I wouldnt count on me for the full.  The half could present possibilities, but there is really no way I think I will be healed and have my base up in time to train for the full.  Everthing is resting on what it is going to take for my leg to heal.  That sucks because I was hoping to meet up with some of you and you and I were probably going to be running close to the same pace.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!