Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Roll - So I have 2 boys (boys run in my family), 20 months apart. We are thinking about a 3rd, but not sure... pros/cons of being out numbered Smile ?

We love that they are close together, most of the time. It presents challenges during their sports events on the weekend and with 3 different practices during the week. Travel seems waaaay more expensive. It isn't uncommon to have an odd man out so we work really hard to not be "helicopter parents" but at the same time make sure no brother is left behind.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

cmb: congrats!

akalei: I have the 610 as well and really like it. The touchscreen is easy to use and it doesn't feel (or look) heavy and awkward.   I didn't spring for the HRM because I know myself, which means I wouldn't use it.  Or I'd use it infrequently so much so that the data I did get wouldn't be worth much.

cbus: nice run!  If 10 at sub-9:30 is easy and felt good, then I think you might have turned a corner.

Nick: I've seen something like that happen, too.  But sort of in reverse  I ran a 10 mile race organized by a local club that was on a trail (so just a flat out and back). The turnaround was just a big green "x" in a circle (they hadn't put up a cone), but it was mis-measured, so it was 4.75 miles from the start.  There were a couple of people from that club running near me who vocally cursed the member whose job it was to measure the course and they continued on to where their watches said 5 miles was and turned around.  (I turned at the mark; I was running it as a tune-up run for a half, so I didn't care that it was a bit short).  In our Garmin inaccuracy discussion, one watch can be short, but if six or seven (or dozens, from conversation at the finish) all say the same thing, it probably was short.

onemile:  We'll see. Smile  I have been a devotee of the WTF plan the past two races, but I know that if I want to get better, I have to push myself.  Hansons' structure makes sense to me with my schedule (the easy runs are all the types I currently do) and because of its general regularity of types of workouts and from week to week.  My turn-off with Pfitz was that the plans seemed complicated and that I'd spend an eternity trying to master how to do some of the workouts rather than running but focusing on pacing.

Hi to everyone else!

Me: Doubled today. 4.2 @ 9:00 at lunch, then 5.5 @ 9:28 this evening.  Low 80s, sunny and humid for both runs, so I was drippy at the end.  The second run was a bit tough, but the first couple second runs are usually like that if I haven't doubled in a while.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

2 miles with hubby.  He ran his first 2 miler without stops today.  He's very happy (so am I).  Heavy weights, pushups, pullups, and situps after that.

Sounds like Monumental is a great Donut FE!  Enjoy!

Damaris

6 for me this evening. Started at 8:50 and quickened pace every mile leaving mile 6 with an 8:02 mpm.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts! Insanity Cardio Power and Resistance this morning....great workout! Wearing my compression socks to work yesterday definitely helped the calves...felt great this morning. You know what's really funny? The last 3 days my hip hasn't hurt AT ALL! Typically, I would start to feel it even after just a long day at work...tightness with every step. Or, when I would do Insanity, I would at least feel on the running type moves (butt kicks, high knees, hurdles), but zero pain or tightness at all this week. Which, of course, makes me want to go run and try it out, but I am going to resist for at least a couple more weeks! CBus: I will definitely keep you informed. Right now, we are between Columbus, St. Louis, or going to Arkansas to see family (10 hour car ride though...ugh!). Trying to keep it cheap because we have a big Disney trip in December so still undecided. If you ever want to take a running break and work on just overall, total body fitness, I truly believe Insanity is one of the best programs out there!! Shaun T. also has a new program coming out this summer called T25, which is 25 minutes 5 times a week. I am hoping that will be more doable while also running...we shall see. Shaun T. quote of the day from my workout this morning, "Take a break if you need to....but just keep going!" He cracks me up! Flinders: Nice double! The one thing I really enjoyed about Hanson's is the simplicity. The workouts are always in the same order and it is super easy to figure out what pace you are supposed to be running. Docket: Congrats to your DH...2 miles without stopping! Did you end up finding him a big for Wednesday? Roll: Nice progressive 6! Your boys are so super cute! I have a hard enough time handling my 2 and they are 5 years apart! I think I would be completely overwhelmed with another. MA: Nice easy 3! I know it must be hard to take it easy coming back but congrats to you for being patient and doing it the right way! Nick: Poor guy and his extra mile! That stinks. Simon: Nice easy 10K Indy: I am glad your cycling is going well....I bet the fitness will help your running. Since we are already signed up for the Monumental Full, I am just going to e-mail and switch to the half. Even if I can't race it, I would think I could at least complete it. Onemile: That is such a cool story about running with the kids in Uganda. I am not sure what my fitness will be in November, but maybe I could at least pace you for the first few miles until the HM splits? I could hopefully do 7 miles at 8:12! If you need a hotel, we are booked at the Courtyard Marriot for $119, which I thought was pretty cheap. It's fairly close to the start line. MDawg: Hope you are having a great time in FL!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Roll - nice paces! Amik - thanks for the hotel rec. I'll check it out. I've heard that they don't fill so I haven't really looked yet. And I would love to have a pacer for the first few miles! Flinders - what Ami said about Hansons. It's very simple and follows a nice pattern of 10 "hard" days, and then an easy recovery weekend. Indi - I am still holding out hope you magically recover and are ready to pace me to a 3:35! But most important that you get healthy and back to running. I hope you can run the half at least. My runs have sucked majorly since I've gotten back from vacation. I guess not running for 2.5 weeks has screwed me up more than I expected. I feel better about it knowing I have three weeks before I have to start training again though. Hopefully that will be enough.
              Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! short run and weights tonight. AmiK, glad you are having no pain. I have Insanity at home but don't have the time to do it. Maybe one day when I'm less inclined to run this much. I want to try it. onemile, your runs will start sucking less soon, you'll see.

Damaris

akalei

Morning, all. 10 coming up this afternoon... supposed to do it tomorrow, but with the bad storms coming, DH decided to swap the schedule, because 10 miles on a TM would be mindnumbing. Bless all of you who are capable of spending more than 45 minutes on a treadmill. I was going to do Insanity this morning and chickened out... I'm still afraid of hurting myself again. Need to get some cross training shoes quick... that should help! Sprinkles & Flinders: Thanks for the recommendation. I'm having trouble bringing myself to spring for the 610, but we'll see. I looked into the 210 and the (I think?) 310--my friend just got the latter and loves it so far. For as non-committal as I am with keeping gadgets with me all the time when I run, I'm thinking it may not be worth it for me to get more than the basics. Still not sure what to do with the one I have now, either. Ami: Glad Insanity went well for you this morning! I agree--it's a really great workout. I love it (despite my chickening out comment above--that's purely psychological and I know it. ha!).

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

akalei

Also, not sure why my post is all jumbled together.. sorry guys!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

akalei, enjoy the 10. The posts are like that because there is some issue with the toolbox. Eric is already working on fixing the site. Frustrating when one does shoutouts and they all come up in paragraph!

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Amik and onemile - If it is a particularly cold morning you should be able to tuck into the convention center for awhile before you line up. Its about a 3 minute walk to the start from there and there were plenty of us in there a couple years ago. The bathrooms werent crowded in there either. I stayed at the airport hilton and drove about 10 or 15 minutes without any problem. I am with you on the hoping for a miraculous recovery thing, but I am not being too optimistic about it. Trust me, I will be trying.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

SRD for me. Some easy miles tomorrow.

Ami, Oh, I'm not interesting in doing Insanity--mostly, because it's, well, uh, insane. But I love that Shaun T. is so passionate about his program.

Ami, Onemile, Indi, wish I could join you all in Indi for the Monumental, but unfortunately it's only a couple of weeks after Cbus.

Flinders, thanks! I think I turned the corner too. I'm not sure I am where I was at the height of my fitness before I got sick. But I feel pretty good, right now.

Mdawg, Did you ever say if you decided to do Hansons Beginner or Advanced? I think I'm gonna do Beginner for Cbus, because I think I could use the easy miles in the beginning more than the additional speed work.

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

akalei, enjoy the 10. The posts are like that because there is some issue with the toolbox. Eric is already working on fixing the site. Frustrating when one does shoutouts and they all come up in paragraph!

I didn't even notice mine was like that til you said something!  What a mess.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It has been fixed!

I didn't even notice mine was like that til you said something!  What a mess.

Cbus, enjoy the rest day.

Damaris

mdawg87

Late afternoon check in post beach for me...all to say SRD.  Gorgeous weather today.  Sunny with few clouds, humidity not too high, and a light ocean breeze.  Perfect!  And for anyone who likes shopping...the retail therapy was quite successful yesterday.  I didn't wear the numbers off the credit card though.  Too frugal for that!

cbus:  I'm using the Hansons Beginner plan.  I hope to use the Advanced plan next time, but we'll see how I fare this cycle.  I definitely don't want to repeat my over training injury by doing too much too soon again.

onemile:  like Docket said, you won't suck much longer!

AmiK:  Yay, yay, yay for the possible improvement!!  Fingers crossed you have made a good leap forward.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)