Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

White Lightning

Cbus - Like I said, its different for everyone.  The strap for me is more preventative   I wear it when I have NO pain so I can run the next day.  When there's pain, its not like I put on the strap and it magically goes away, its still there and I need to take a day or two off to get it to relax again.  I'm just convinced that no running isn't going to help it, i found it to be opposite.  

And forgot to mention, every time its been "really" bad, was after I ran a 5k, 10k and my first two halfs' or any kind of speed work.  In fact it was so bad I was scared to run any short races for the entire last year.  Those were the I couldn't walk to my car after kind of pain, or think i'm going to need to amputate the leg kind of pain.  The more easy miles for me, the better it gets.

Dream - Everything I read says 60, 90, 120 seconds slower than goal pace, but it doesn't seem like anyone really follows it too too much.  I'm starting Hansons in a couple of weeks with 9:10 as my goal pace.  So, All easy must be 10:10 to 11:10.  I think the long run days they let you do some progressive stuff, still need to re-read and I think it was for the more advanced so will stick to the 10:10 to 10:40 range for my LR.  Then the 10:40 to 11:10 for the easy days after a hard workout as recovery.

Docket - Nice job.  Every time I feel lazy, like right now, I see another post from you with another race, asthma concerns, PR's, crazy humidity, etc... then slap myself in the head and say suck it up.  So that being said, out the door I go......

Play the Game Hard!

Trail Monster

Nice running all!

I don't know what his issue is Damaris. I pretty much avoid the BF except to post my miles each week. It's just too much drama anymore.

ran 15.65 at 10:00 pace on rolling hills. I was running with DH and a group of faster friends so chatting with them got me into a faster-than-normal pace and passed the time quickly. Last 5 miles was just DH and I so I slowed it down and walked some too. This was his longest run ever so I'm super proud (and kind of disgusted by his natural endurance)!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

joshlynn, LOL.

Banshee, this has been going for two years now.  It was worse when he had access to my FB.  First person I unfriended happily.

I'm starving!

Damaris

Ball of Fury

Ugh!  Was supposed to do 20 today, but this was a painful run right from the beginning...my ITB was so tight, I could feel it all the way down my leg.  I gutted it out for 16 miles and then just couldn't take it anymore...there were involuntary tears running down my face Sad!  So, I limp/wogged the mile home and called it quits.  I was supposed to do 16 next weekend before the taper so hopefully, I can get my 20 miler in then.  If it hadn't been for the ITBS, it would have been a good run.  My average pace was 9:45 and I felt pretty good except for my right leg.  I will be doing lots of foam rolling and stretching this week.  The 16 puts me at 50 for the week, so not terrible.  Sorry I don't have time for personals, we have to go take pictures before it gets dark...I am going to be in a calendar for my obstacle course racing team, which I find to be hilarious, but it's for charity so I will deal with it.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

AmiK - My opinion only, go ahead and skip the 20 miler.  Its not mandatory.  Get the ITBS under control if you can, and run your 16 as planned.  Better to get to the starting line rested and healthy.  I am sure that I am not the only one who will suggest this to you.

Damaris - Good race.  Congrats on the PR.

Sra - I enjoyed the book.  I thought it was well written and pretty informative.  Thats a crazy BTB.  As the distance gets easier it seems crazier thoughts start to creep into our heads.

Unbelievable 61 deg today.  Still wet from a full day and night of rain.  Hit the road for a 13 mile GMP run today.  3 miles warm-up/1 mile cool-down @ 8:45 avg pace.  GMP for 9 miles @ 8:07 avg.  Maintained pace through all hills.  Just a shade faster than I wanted to run but, it felt good throughout.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all, 

Got in 4.25 today @ 10:20 pace, which gives me 36 for the week (37 and change according to RA, because it counts all my partial mileage).  Things were sore--mostly lower back--but no ITBS. I'm thinking I might try the Speed workout tomorrow, and bail if I feel anything. But I'mseriously going to look into Graston technique. Other than that, I guess I'll have to gimp along.

Josh, I think I agree with you about the rest making it worse. Last week, I gelt my worst (other than yesterday) after my off day. I might try to run a real slow 2 instead of taking the day off. 

Sprink, I'm gonna look into Graston this week. But if it doesn't work, then I'm blaming you! Jk. 

Flinders, I know my question is kind of vague. You answered it, pretty much. I guess I'm wondering what is easier, the volume to train for a marathon, which doesn't require a lot of high quality paces. Or a half, which has less volume but more high quality. The same goes for the race. A longer race at lower speed, or shorter speed at higher pace (somewhere in this convoluted sentence is a QOTD). 

Banshee, great LR. 

Docket, donuts on the PR! you're a beast! 

Good running everyone!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Ami, sorry to hear the 20 went so badly. I also didn't know ITBS was contagious--sorry for giving it to you! Get well soon, and hang in there. 

Also, +1 to Indi's comment. 

Rusk Runner

FWIW Cbus - One of the reasons I am running a Pfitz program this cycle and not Hansons advanced plan is because I thought I needed one more Pfitz cycle to advance my fitness and endurance before delving into Hansons workouts.  That sounds opposite to your thought process, but I think you are not reading the latest version of Pfitz.  He allows generous time between harder efforts IMO.  I really want to do a Hansons plan, but I want to be ready to do it right.

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

Amik - Yikes, the never ending battle

Banshee - Nice run

Me - So, of course all this ITBS talk, I was stopped dead in my tracks at mile 2 because ITB hurt bad again.  Seriously what is going on?  So I did a very deep massage, pain went away and I was good for the remainder 6 miles.  Ankle was a bit tender during last mile.  So, 8 miles @ 10:42, nice and easy, good HR's, tons of energy.  Good week all around.  30 was my goal with 6 days of running but did it with 5.  Next week, 32 is the goal with 6 days.

2nd week post marathon, 30 miles total.  Have a fairly good calorie deficiency going on and still have lots of energy.  Really want to be at 165 pounds at the start of the next cycle in 5 weeks, need to lose one pound a week

M - 4 @ 10:00

T - 6 @ 10:37

W - Off

Th - Off

Fri - 7 easy w/ 2 @ 9:06

Sat - 5 @ 10:54

Su - 8 @ 10:42

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

FWIW Cbus - One of the reasons I am running a Pfitz program this cycle and not Hansons advanced plan is because I thought I needed one more Pfitz cycle to advance my fitness and endurance before delving into Hansons workouts.  That sounds opposite to your thought process, but I think you are not reading the latest version of Pfitz.  He allows generous time between harder efforts IMO.  I really want to do a Hansons plan, but I want to be ready to do it right.

You've got me thinking Indi. I'll take another look at Pfitz, and throw out some thoughts later. 

Smashy!!!

Re ITBS, I'm sorry! It's all my fault. Such negative energy. Get better everyone!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

AmiK, sorry about the ITB issue.  Hope it feels better soon.  And I agree that you don't need a 20 miler.  It will be OK.

I just slept for 1 hour. My migraine was very bad.

Damaris

White Lightning

So Indi, your thinking is Hansons is harder?  Or you just don't improve as much over the course of their cycle?  My main reason for Hansons over Phitz is the long run in the middle of the winter.  After about two hours in the cold i'm getting pretty tired of it.  Hansons only has 4 runs that would last over 2 hours with my paces, Pfitz has 15 runs that would take me over two hours.  Plus I can easily bang out a two hour TM run if I needed to, anything over that, gonna be no good.  We have yet to hit our tougher winter months here.

My knees hurt right now just thinking about it <sigh>  Didn't think running was supposed to be that complicated

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

What I mean to say is that Hansons has alot of higher paced work that I would like to nail spot on.  Too much higher paced work has tweaked muscles and other stuff for me in the past.  Two quality workouts per week, 6 days of running, less taper period, seems like alot more work to me than Pfitz.  I can, and have, tweaked Pfitz to meet my needs.  Hansons recs that you nail it as close to what is prescribed as possible for success.

Josh, are you talking Hansons advanced or beginner?  If it works for you and meets your schedule and abilities, I say go for it.  I am speaking from a personal point of view when I say that there is just a tad more speed work than I am willing to contend with right now.  But remember too, that I am shooting for a GMP of 8:10 to 8:15.  Heck, I dont even know if I am going to pull it off with Pfitz.

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

Okay that makes sense.  I feel like I need structure.  Just tell me what to run and i'll run it kind of thing.  So i'm planning beginner with some added miles in the beginning 5 weeks, they seem way too low at 10, 15, 21, 21, 24.  So goal is to get a solid 30-35 mile base the next 5 weeks and then run the first 5 weeks of the cycle 30-35 and week 6 pick up on the program with the regularly scheduled 39 miles and go from there.  Speed and MP don't start until week 6 in beginner so I have 10 weeks of easy running ahead of me, And if I don't get 6 days of running comfortably in the next two weeks, I will probably fall back to HH Int or something, but then might as well give pfitz a shot if that's the case.  To be honest with you, easy running is really starting to bore me right now, so knowing I have good speed and MP workouts coming are pretty exciting for me and paces seem pretty reasonable for what i'm already running right now.

Of course now that cbus has infected a few of us, who knows what will happen :-)

Play the Game Hard!