Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Ran 10 miles this afternoon with a few interval miles in there at about 7:25 pace. Wanted to get 6x1mile intervals in, but legs didn't want me to (maybe still a little worn from Sun, or maybe a little warmer than I am used to?). In a month a 75deg and sunny day will probably be pretty nice, but it seems like just last week it was below freezing for most of my runs.

Ami - Florence Y'all... I always notice that water tower when driving south on I-75 ( I live about 2 miles from I-75 here in Michigan)

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Ball of Fury

Ran 10 miles this afternoon with a few interval miles in there at about 7:25 pace. Wanted to get 6x1mile intervals in, but legs didn't want me to (maybe still a little worn from Sun, or maybe a little warmer than I am used to?). In a month a 75deg and sunny day will probably be pretty nice, but it seems like just last week it was below freezing for most of my runs.

Ami - Florence Y'all... I always notice that water tower when driving south on I-75 ( I live about 2 miles from I-75 here in Michigan)

Nice run!  And the last time I raced a 10K, my faster runs the next week were pretty tough and I didn't hit my paces well...legs need a bit to recover.  And that water tower is so embarrassing!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Ran 10 miles this morning and it sucked and blew... training is off, legs are sore from yesterdays speedwork, sun was already up and hot.

Overall, I felt like a weenie.

DetroitTigerFan

Hello all - had a few more questions for you all:

- energy products and intervals -  Did some intervals yesterday and my times improved only after I had a GU at 40 minutes - lol. Much like Nick noted earlier, the weather was warmer than normal over here - my heart rate was up. When you do intervals, how do prepare ahead of time from a energy perspective?  I had a power bar well before and a GU at 45 minutes. It seems like my splits improved after the GU? should I have had a GU right before the speed workout ?

- For those with hill experience - i'm pace planning for my HM in a few weeks. Mile 2 and then 9 of my course has a huge hill followed by 3 miles of sun exposed blacktop to the finish line.  I get better each year, but I noticed everytime that running the hill wears me out and knocks out energy for those final 3 miles.  I do alot of training on the hill and run it each time.  What strategy should I do to improve those final miles - instead of slow running the hill, should I just walk the last 1/4 of the hill, take the time hit, and conserve energy for a stronger finish ?   Here are my splits from last year and some thoughts for this year. I'm toying with running slower early on, but could use some advice if I should just go for it and deal with the hill as it comes up - I've run flat HM's before at 8:18/mile, but at end of marathon training and i'm just about to start again.  So since i'm early on - my goal is just to beat last years time. I've run recently this course on effort (in cold weather at 2:08) just trying to beat 2:00 if possible this year.   thanks for any thoughts !!

<colgroup><col span="2" width="82" /></colgroup>
          Goal this yr ? Last Year

09:00.0 08:47.5
          09:30.0 09:11.5
          09:09.0 07:59.3
          09:09.0 08:38.3
          09:09.0 08:33.2
          09:09.0 08:51.9
          09:09.0 08:47.6
          09:09.0 09:25.3
          10:00.0 09:44.9
          09:30.0 09:21.1
          09:30.0 10:14.8
          09:09.0 10:48.3
          09:09.0 10:41.7
          :01.8 :01.8

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in my 8 easy at around 9:48 pace. The weather's been great! (Sorry Ami!)

Ami, now I'm really starting to think I want to do the Pig next year. I'd be open for a marathon relay. We would need four. Do you know two others? Any Donuts want to do a marathon relay? But I'd also be okay running the half and just doing a meet up (maybe running part of it together?). Thanks for the heads up about Kentucky, and double thanks for the ride offer. That might be the path I take. But I also kinda want to posh it up in downtown Cincy--that also sounds like fun. I gotta work this out with DW. And hang in there with the injury. I know it's just a bummer. That's basically how I was for a year, battling ITBS. Do you at least feel you're on a path to recovery?

Everyone, what's an "FE"? Sometimes someone will say something like "We need a Donut FE."

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

DTF, I'm terrible on hills. But I remember when I ran the Pittsburgh Half, there was one last hill before a steep downhill to the finish. I went "all in" and busted my butt up that hill, and it left me with absolutely nothing. As a result, I couldn't take advantage of the steep downhill, and was passed by a ton of people that I passed on the way up. In that moment, I decided to never go hard up hills. My strategy is now to avoid races with hills! But if there are hills then like you, i'd take a time hit, and conserve energy.

Roll, Go Kings Go!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Everyone, what's an "FE"? Sometimes someone will say something like "We need a Donut FE."

I believe it's "forum encounter".  In other words, meeting all the digital people in real life Smile

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

onemile

OMG I bought the hat too!  Wore it on my run tonight.  Smile

Onemile - i am in the same boat about not having a schedule. I bought a brooks/hanson running hat for the summer amd now I am getting the fever to start the cycle

Amik - sucks your hip's acting up still Sad

cbus - glad you're feeling better and nice 8 miler tonight.

Nick - nice 10

Slymoon - that sums up my run tonight too.  Let's hope tomorrow is better.

DTF - I always run on hills but try to maintain steady effort - slower up hill / faster down hill

I got my 10 done but it pretty much sucked.  It was warm and sunny. I was thirsty. And I just felt so tired the whole time.  I've been trying to lose some weight so it might be partly because I haven't eaten enough the past few days.

Roll, Go Kings Go!

Arrrrrrrrr!!

thats my mean growl by the way.! it would be cool to see a run at a repeat though

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

One - that's hilarious

8 miles at 8:37/mile tonight.

DTF, here's my 2 cents worth:

If you go too hard up the hill at mile 2, and take too much out of the energy bank, you will be paying interest on the loan for the next 11 miles, and it will not be fun! The later hill you can take more of a chance on, depending on how you feel at that part of the race.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Sorry I've been MIA but between intermittent internet and working 12 hours today, it has been a bad day.  I managed to run/walk with DH another 2.65 miles so he is on week 3!  Woot.

AmiK, hope the hip feels better.

jedi, beast!

Damaris

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

DTF,

Like Cbus described, the Pittsburgh halfhas a significant elevation change (map here) at mile 11-12.  My strategy on Sunday was to control my pace through the first 10 miles (8:20 first three, 8:05-8:10 next 7) and then try to truly race the last few miles.  The strategy went well for the first 10 miles (which included lots of rolling hills and bridges),  When I got to mile ~ 11 and the hill, it was difficult for me to try to run it at the same intensity.  Since this was my second year on the course I knew that all I had to do was get to the top and then it would be an opportunity to make up the lost time on the way down to the finish.  So I allowed myself 1 or 2 short walks (~ 10-15 sec each, no more) between miles 11-12.  At the top I released and completed the last mile around a 7:30mm making up the lost time.  Overall I may have surrendered a minute off the total, but I'd prefer that rather than try to sprint up the hills or pace too aggressively early in the race and deal with no energy for a difficult hill climb.  

For this falls marathon, I'm going to focus on more (and steeper) hill runs.  No shortage of those around these parts!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

DTF, here's my 2 cents worth:

If you go too hard up the hill at mile 2, and take too much out of the energy bank, you will be paying interest on the loan for the next 11 miles, and it will not be fun! The later hill you can take more of a chance on, depending on how you feel at that part of the race.

We don't have many hills in Houston so this is a foreign subject to me but this makes sense.

Rusk Runner

Physical therapist tore me up last night.  She asked twice if I needed her to stop and I said no.   Bruising from hip to knee this morning. Yeah!  Lets see how it handles tonights run.

DTF - If you want that hill to get easier you have two options IMO.  First - incorporate hill "sprints" into your workout schedule.  Hill sprints will facilitate the building of muscles required to do the work you desire and as a benefit you should tend to increase your VO2 max.

Second - Run hills more often than just to simulate the conditions in the race.  Somebody may disagree with this but thats why I put in the IMO.  I have read what I wrote however and I am a firm believer that hills become easier if you train your body to tackle them.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!