Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agree.  Shake it off!

Damaris

bagopux

Had to do my long run today since we are moving this weekend.  16.3 miles on hills.  Probably the hardest "easy" miles in recent memory. Temp at the end was 90F.  I was supposed to do a 'fast finish' for the last 2 miles but it was all I could do to get up the hills to my front door.

On a more uplifting note, so today was my last run of my usual loop through the local park because I'm moving.  Its not like I won't run that park anymore, but I won't do this specific loop that has been my bread and butter for so long.  Its a loop I've dozens if not hundreds of times in the past decade.  About 3 miles from the finish of the loop I run by a farm that has sheep, cows and goats.  Usually, they pay no attention to me.  (Really, who would?)  But today, as I ran by, the sheep started bleating and then ran with me -- about a dozen of them -- for about 200 feet.  I know they weren't really saying goodbye, but it was still kinda cool.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

They probably were saying goodby.  So cute.

Damaris

Smashy!!!

I think they are those rare predatory sheep. Good thing you out ran them.

Had to do my long run today since we are moving this weekend.  16.3 miles on hills.  Probably the hardest "easy" miles in recent memory. Temp at the end was 90F.  I was supposed to do a 'fast finish' for the last 2 miles but it was all I could do to get up the hills to my front door.

On a more uplifting note, so today was my last run of my usual loop through the local park because I'm moving.  Its not like I won't run that park anymore, but I won't do this specific loop that has been my bread and butter for so long.  Its a loop I've dozens if not hundreds of times in the past decade.  About 3 miles from the finish of the loop I run by a farm that has sheep, cows and goats.  Usually, they pay no attention to me.  (Really, who would?)  But today, as I ran by, the sheep started bleating and then ran with me -- about a dozen of them -- for about 200 feet.  I know they weren't really saying goodbye, but it was still kinda cool.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Afternoon everyone!

I've got MP miles after work tonight. Should be hot. But we are getting some clouds, and by then the sun will be nearly down.

Great workouts everyone!

DetroitTigerFan

...but much better than those zombies by cbus Smile

I think they are those rare predatory sheep. Good thing you out ran them.

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

DetroitTigerFan

bago - that's pretty funny. I didn't know sheep could move that quickly. Moving will be a good way to find some new cool routes

paula - you getting ready for the beast long run this weekend - 16 with 10 at MP ? Smile PS - will you be changing your training paces between now and Oct?

indy - i'm on vaca and my bike pump broke - had to go use a gas station - what type of pump do you use - just basic or fancy? ps - how fast do you ride in cruise?

me - on vaca up north in MI. Ran 10 this morning - supposed to be a 90 degree day. I hit my target paces. My route was east/west and after 5 one way in this humidity, I had to return east right into the sun, but I made it !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

DTF - I have a bag that attaches to my seatpost and rails.  I just carry a couple of CO2 cartridges and a bright shiny object (CO2 attachment w/ valve made for presta valves).  I also always carry a spare innertube, patch kit, and tire levers.  I usually average a ride between 16 to 18 mph depending on what I am doing.  Honestly for alot of my rides, my average speed would be higher but I am usually fighting hills.  Lately I have devoted alot more attention to my cadence.  Last couple of rides I have kept my cadence at about an average of  80 rpm with an average speed of 18 mph.  I have some new rims on the bike and am anxiously waiting to take them for a test ride.

Bago - I have passed a particular spot thinking I was hearing a child screaming.  I would stop and look and see nothing.  Finally noticed one day that it was a couple of goats that would freak out when I would ride by on my bike.

Cbus - 3 pitch dark runs and no zombies yet ( thank God ).

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

bago - that's pretty funny. I didn't know sheep could move that quickly. Moving will be a good way to find some new cool routes

paula - you getting ready for the beast long run this weekend - 16 with 10 at MP ? Smile PS - will you be changing your training paces between now and Oct?

indy - i'm on vaca and my bike pump broke - had to go use a gas station - what type of pump do you use - just basic or fancy? ps - how fast do you ride in cruise?

me - on vaca up north in MI. Ran 10 this morning - supposed to be a 90 degree day. I hit my target paces. My route was east/west and after 5 one way in this humidity, I had to return east right into the sun, but I made it !

DTF - if by getting ready, you mean stuffing my face with every food within my grasp, then yes, yes I am.  Honestly, I'm not all that intimidated by that MP run right now.  Ask me again Sunday morning, though!  For MP, I am using McMillan based on my half in May.  I don't plan on changing it, since it will be slightly aggressive based on my mpw and the hilly course profile.  I do my run by effort though, so I suppose my paces could possibly change between now and October.  How about you?  Are you ready for it?

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Brutal MP run tonight. It was terribly hot and super duper humid. And I just couldn't get the legs going. 8:54, 8:57, 8:59, 8:53, 8:47, 8:45. Those last two miles were aided by a downhill. I think I'm going to go back to my original GMp of 8:55. I just couldn't hit 8:45 without the help of a downhill. And I think I am going to cutback this week, after all.

bag - zombie sheep saying goodbye. You shoulD be thankful they spared you Cool

third straight day at 7 miles with two different type of workouts.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

cbus - Never underestimate the power of the climate.  If you had the heat that we were experiencing down here (and I am assuming you did) then you had no business attempting an MP run to begin with.  I cant remember the magic number without breaking out Pfitz's book, but  its the number when he says you ought to just can it and take it easy.  You need to give yourself a good recovery and try again under more favorable conditions.

I nor many other donuts would attempt our goal pace If we showed up to a marathon and the temps were above 80 deg with high humidity................. Am I right folks?

Having a cup of coffee and I am going to go out for a 21 mile bike ride before PT.  Can hardly wait to test the new wheels.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Indi, I agree, if this were a race, I'm not sure I would have even attempted it. The problem I see is that we still have two more weeks of July, and all of Aug. if i wait for favorable conditions, then I have to wait 6 weeks.

mdawg87

Morning!  Strength training, 5 easy TM miles, and stretching at the gym.

cbus:  Do the best you can under the weather circumstances.  Adjusting pace is necessary when the temp/dew point/humidity are at an inhibiting level.  DH and I trained in the horrible 2012 Atlanta summer for Chicago last year.  I don't know that we hit paces 50% of the time.  Even though I was injured, when race day came around and it was upper 30s with low humidity, the effort seemed very easy.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

The following are the heat pace equivalents I've been using.

If you go to my website, tinyurl.com/RVDowning and then click on Running Stuff / Running Links, and then either on Heat Pace Equivalents or Heat Pace Equivalents Interpolated you can see the heat pace equivalents I've been using.  The leftmost column is heat index.

The Heat Pace Equivalents page is the original.  I just interpolated some of the numbers to make it more convenient for myself on the Heat Pace Equivalents Interpolated page.