Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Smashy!!!

Josh, I wouldn't run 20 two weeks out. But that's me.

Sprink, stress is stress. The body doesn't care if it's coming from work or from running. +1 to Ami and Nachos: i think it's wise to switch to Higdon, if you know that works.

Nachos, sorry to hear your injuries keep nagging. I had a lot of success with Graston, as you know, so I highly recommend it.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

AmiK & Nachos & Cbus: thanks for the support!  I hate backing down from plans, but I think its for the best at this point- its 9:00pm and I am still at work.  I think over the summer when things are less crazy I might have better luck doing 18/55.  I don' t have even the slightest ache...I'm just exhausted!  Too much work interfering with my hobbies!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

Nachos - Whatever it takes bro.  Good to hear from you again.  Had a heart attack kind of moment for everyone in the house watching the IU vs Michigan game.

Sprinkles - You are doing the right thing.  Go with a plan you know you can execute.  Most of us know that sometimes the life that pays the bills gets in the way of what makes us feel good.

Got the 7 recovery miles done today @ 9:24 avg.  34 deg out at 3:15 this morning.  I am pretty sure my left leg will let me get away with doing intervals tomorrow evening, but we will see what tomorrow will bring.

Off to shower and work.  Happy running everyone!

Cbus - Good to see you in good spirits!

Josh - I will shout out to you later about a half after a 55 mile week.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Ugh!  For those keeping score, it is Hanson strength workout 1, Ami 0!  I knew it was gonna be a tough one when my warm-up mile felt super difficult, but I thought my legs might come around if I just pushed through....um, no, no they didn't!  I was supposed to do 6 x 1 mile @ 7:50/mile (GHMP -10) with 400 M recoveries and I tried to do that, I really did, but my legs just weren't having it.  It took me until the 4th mile to even get close to 7:50/mile and truthfully, it felt like a 5K effort.  It was after that one, that I decided I was probably doing myself more harm than good, so I just ran 2.5 miles home at an easy pace (didn't feel easy though).  I know I made the right decision, but it is still disappointing!!

Indy:  Nice 7, hope you get your intervals done tomorrow!

Josh:  I am by no means an expert, but I would not do a 20-miler that close to a half...can you cut it to 16?

Nachos:  Sorry about the calf...I would absolutely go see a PT and talk to them about possible causes, exercises, and Graston!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

onemile - what days am i looking at? i forget when your HM is?

Jedi - what do you think of my mini-taper in my log?  Does that seem like enough?

Morning Donuts! Did not feel like getting up today. between my race and DST been really tired last couple of days. i got in 5.25m this morning though. Legs starting to come around again. decided this week will just be easy runs this weeks to let myself recover from race a bit before I really turn focus to Frederick next week. It will give me a solid 6 weeks of training for the next HM. Nothing gained this week. We have friends flying up from FL anyway to visit,

Sprinkles - those mid-week MLRs are a big reason i have never done a Pfitz plan. What Daniels or Hudson? One of those might work as they don't have crazy miles during the week. Daniels be good as he gives you qulaity days and you basically make-up your schedule as you see fit.

Josh - not sure I'd do a 20 6 days out from a HM. Friend of mine who race HM this weekend did back-to-back 20 milers week before and ran a 1;38 PR and 2nd in 45-49 AG. he's training for a ultra though.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

Josh - When I did a half during 18/55 I had added a week to my schedule to give myself a few days of rest before the race, but still yet, it was after a 55 mile week with a 20 mile run.  I had a two minute PR on a difficult course in difficult conditions.  I could have done better had I not been in the middle of MRT (first time through Pfitz), but, you seem to be recovering well through your training.

I think you should be okay to try your best, but dont get distracted if your legs are tired and your best isnt what you wanted it to be.  Your main goal at this point is a good marathon, not a half marathon.  If you really want to run your best half marathon, you should train for it and it should be your goal race.  That pretty well sums up why my Half marathon times arent lower.  When the chance arrives, I am going to follow Jedi, cbus, flinders, etc.. lead and actually train to execute a well run half.  Till then, MRT and goal marathon it is.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Sprinkles - sounds like the right call.  Pfitz will always be there when you have the time.  I liked Higdon Int II when I did it.

Indi - nice on the 7. Good luck with the intervals.

Amik - ouch that sounds like a tough workout. MP-10 is hard enough - I'm glad I don't have to do HMP-10!

Jedi - it's next week - HM on the 24th.  I scrapped the MP run for that week and brought my mileage down a bit.  After your speedy half, easy runs sound like a good plan for the week.

I have 11 w/ 3x2 miles at MP-10 on my schedule for tonight.  It's snowing AGAIN today so hopefully the roads will be ok.  Also it's supposed to be WINDY.

Ball of Fury

One mile:  Good luck tonight!!  It was windy this morning too...yuck!  The funny thing about this morning is that it's almost 20 sec slower than my 10K pace from Saturday but it felt at least twice as hard!

Sprinkles - sounds like the right call.  Pfitz will always be there when you have the time.  I liked Higdon Int II when I did it.

Indi - nice on the 7. Good luck with the intervals.

Amik - ouch that sounds like a tough workout. MP-10 is hard enough - I'm glad I don't have to do HMP-10!

Jedi - it's next week - HM on the 24th.  I scrapped the MP run for that week and brought my mileage down a bit.  After your speedy half, easy runs sound like a good plan for the week.

I have 11 w/ 3x2 miles at MP-10 on my schedule for tonight.  It's snowing AGAIN today so hopefully the roads will be ok.  Also it's supposed to be WINDY.

mdawg87

Good morning!  7+ TM miles at 9:40 pace and stretching this morning at the gym.  Strength training tonight.  I'm adding one mile to each of my runs this week and then adding a 4th day of running beginning next week.  I was alternating 3 and 4 day running weeks until the sports doc cleared me last week.  That'll put me around 30 miles per week.  Think I'll stay there for a few weeks before adding more mileage.  Still being extra cautious.

Nachos:  I feel your pain.  I'm 5 months out from Chicago 2012 and just now getting over my issues.  I did Pfitz 18/55 and it put me down 5 weeks out from the race.  I'm not banging on that plan.  I think it's a great plan, but I just wasn't ready for it.  Even though I base built very well (was averaging 40 miles per week), it was just too much too soon for me.  I had only used 3 day a week plans for my previous 2 marathons.  And I agree with cbus, get to a sports doc.  It was the best thing I did.

Sprinkles:  +1 on making the right call.  Even though you feel okay running wise, you're primed for an injury being that exhausted.  I'm thinking of using a lower mileage plan like Higdon Intermediate for my next marathon.  I'm thinking I"m still not ready for Pfitz or Hanson yet.

Jedi:  Love that new HM PR in your signature!!

AmiK:  Ugh...I hate those runs where the suck-o-meter redlines the entire time.

Josh:  I wouldn't do a 20 miler that close to a HM if I was going to race the HM.  If the HM was just a training run, then I would.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Ami, a few things. Keep in mind that you raced a 10K on Sat. So, you're still recovering. Yes, those Strength workouts are tough, especially on the HM plan. It's even tougher since you've got Tempos two days after, and you decided to run them at GP. I was doing mine at +:20, and I still ended up getting fried. I think you did the right thing DNFing the workout--it's not ideal, but considering you raced a 10k, I think it's not a big deal. You might even modify this week's Tempo. But the biggest thing I learned from getting fried on this program is not to be afraid to modify as you go along. Keep in mind the point of the workouts, but feel free to toy with them or with the overall week's schedule.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got 4 easy on tap today.

A shout out to all our Shamrock racers! You guys have done the work. Now it's time to smash it up! Donuts!

Sprink, are you doing Shamrock?

onemile

Amik - Agree w/ Cbus that you were probably not recovered from your 10k.  Also I've found that everything feels way harder in training than in race conditions.  I'm guessing next week will be better!

I got a PR in a 10k last Saturday and am just now getting my legs back.  This is the last taper week for the Shamrock.  I just did easy 4 milers on Sun, Mon and today.  I have tomorrow off but 5k intervals on Thursday (Hansons' plan).  I am worried about those 5k intervals though.  Seems like a way to get injured so close to marathon day.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Thanks, everyone

Mdawg- I did great on the lower mileage plan for Philly (Novice 1!!)

Indiana- it sure was easier to execute the 4 miles than 14 today

Jedi- I might check out Hansons next time- fr now I'll go with what i know

Cbus- NYC Half this weekend, Poconos marathon on 5/19.

Me- 4 miles of hills hills hills this morning- it was a GOOD workout, even though it was a short one.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Ball of Fury

Thanks for the positive thoughts guys!  I definitely think I still have fatigue from the race and I also think part of it is my ITB.  My entire right quad (especially the lateral portion) just feels like a gigantic bruise!