Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

braycon

Good afternoon, all!  It's been quite awhile since I checked in on the Donuts.  I hope everyone is well and 2013 is off to a great start.  I am going to try to get back in the routine of checking in here and keeping up, something I really haven't been doing since I discovered you all moved over here.

Anyway, no long race report right now, but I did complete the Disney Marathon and ran my first sub-4.  It was great to PR, but also my most disappointing marathon race in many ways (I ran a 1-mile race in 8th grade I don't even want to talk about!).  I ran a 3:57:19 (yea!), but tanked a bit late.  The troubles began at mile 21 when I had to stop and visit the port-a-john.  I had put it off for 3 or 4 miles, but alas...  It cost me 2 minutes that mile and really blew up my momentum (plus it was about 100 degrees in the mini-restroom).  It was very difficult to get back to pace and made the rest of the run a real challenge.  I had hit the half at 1:55 and at mile 20 was still on pace for a 3:50.  I actually felt pretty comfortable pace/-wise until I stopped (not too tired, no feeling of hitting the customary "wall"), although I was a bit nauseated.  So, those last five miles were a bit rougher than I would have liked, but there's a lot of room to improve that time this year and am looking forward to it.  I think I'm definitely going in the right direction fitness-wise, but GI issues are a periodic problem when I do long runs and something I need to figure out from a food and timing persepctive, I think.  Am open to ideas or suggestions on what you all do, although I suspect these are individual issues that vary for each of us.

Like I said, no long race report here, but I will try to get involved in the conversation again.  I hope you are all doing well!

Smashy!!!

Braycon, huge donuts on your sub4/PR! Thats awesome.

Onemile, do you ever get chap/tan line around the face hole? I get those all the time from my ear warmers. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

nachosgrande

Braycon - Welcome back and congrats on the great race!  Big donuts to you!  Cool

All the other donuts - Nice running this weekend!

onemile

Braycon, huge donuts on your sub4/PR! Thats awesome.

Onemile, do you ever get chap/tan line around the face hole? I get those all the time from my ear warmers. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

It's actually not cold enough here often enough to warrant wearing this for every run.  I typically just go with a regular beanie unless it's in the teens or colder and windy.

DetroitTigerFan

Onemile - on the ninja winter look,  i look the same way. I had to cut a little hole in the mouth part as my breath would bounce up and fog up my glasses (even with anti fog wipes)  One other issue i have with the balclava - sometimes the mouth part wants to slip down on me - its not as taught as i want it - it's almost like i need to 2 pins to hold it up better......

braycon - congrats on the sub 4 - disney is my backup next year if Detroit weather falls through this October, so i'd be interested to hear your review. Nice job !!!

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

White Lightning

Cmb – wow, that's pretty cold, even for this Canadian.

Sprinkles – i started weight training last week and adding some protien and a little less carbs so i'm hoping that gives the system a jump start so I can find those abs

Tricia – Nice workout, I start mine tomorrow

cbus – the bacalava is great but I hate having my mouth covered, can't breath as well and fogs up my sunglasses. Never had any chapping issues. I use a beanie unless its windy, then go to the bacalava.

Onemile – lol

braycon – great sub-4 and good to see you around again.

Me – SRD today. Woke up really stiff this morning and did a lot of stretching and feel better now. Have some light plyo sometime today with some yoga later tonight.

Play the Game Hard!

Ball of Fury

Good afternoon Donuts!  Went to the chiro this morning and he said my ITB was much tighter than before and was tight almost all the way up to the hip, which was more than before...boo!  He was pretty aggressive with it and encourage me not to run today.  So, since I absolutely couldn't stand another day of rest, DH and I did Insanity  Plyo Cardio Circuit and Ab Ripper X.  It was a great workout and a learned that while marathon training was great for my legs, my upper body has gotten much weaker....have to fix that before the April Spartan Race!  My Hanson book should be here tomorrow and we have to make a good plan to balance out 6 days a week of running and at least 3 days of Insanity/Upper body work.  As Sprinkles said, it's time to get lean and mean!  Oh, and thank you all so much for the encouragement:  1:45 it is!

Sprinkles:  Congrats on finishing week 1 of PFitz!  Hope you enjoyed your workout...I love the 30 Day Shred.  It was my very first workout when I decided to lose weight!

Banshee:  I think I missed telling you I am glad you are ok after the crazy dog attack!!  You had a great week of running this week!

Jag:  Would love to meet you at Monumental in November!  I have heard great things about it and you may get spoiled by running a flat race...its so much easier!  Hopefully, it won't start sleeting halfway through this year!

Detroit:  I hate, hate running in high winds...so kudos to you for getting through it!  As far as Disney, aside from the fact that my race really, really sucked, I highly recommend it.  Yes, it's a big race but they space the corrals out nicely and its a lot of fun.  Plus, it's super, super flat.  Typically, the weather is good, but it was pretty hot this year.  A guess a couple years ago, there was sleet, so you just never know!

Zoe:  Thanks for the encouragement!  They do a nice job of corrals at this race, and if I can shave 42 seconds off my 10K by March, I can move up from preferred to seeded, which would help.  I am super jealous of your temps...Right now, it is 23 here but feels like 6 and the wind is 23-25 mph.

Jedi:  Again, thanks for the encouragement.  Nice easy 5 miler.

Docket and Cmb:  Hope you enjoyed your SRD and got a donut!  My DD is asking for a donut right now!

Onemile:  Love the pic...you really do look like a ninja!

Alkalei:  Thanks!  Nice job with your runs this weekend and I totally hear you about having too much fun!  The first time I drank alcohol after losing almost 70 lbs (I didn't drink a drop for 6-7 months), I was shocked at how little I could tolerate!

Tricia:  Congrats on finishing day 1 PFitz!

CBus:  Nice easy 6.  So, I am still waiting on the book, but the training plan I printed off the Hanson website for a half says to do tempos at GHMP...maybe it's meant for elites?  I do not have the gear  you mentioned, but my favorite cold weather running gear is my UA cold gear...its really does keep me warm.

Roll:  Nice run with the puppy!  I hope the slow rebuild works well for you!

Braycon:  Congratulations on the pr and sub 4!  I was also at that race and if you did that well in the heat and humidity down there, I have little doubt you could have done 3:45-3:50!  I have also had gi issues with long runs and in a couple races as well.  As far as advice, it's just been trial and error with food and timing of meals.  I do usually take Imodium before races and it seems to help.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Ball of Fury

Josh:  You sneaked in there while I was posting....enjoy plyo and yoga!!

Rusk Runner

Braycon - CONGRATS!!!!  Welcome back!

Enjoying the SRD and getting some minor chores/repairs done around the house.  Cooking chicken adobo (philipino style) for the wife and kids tonight.  I may have a taste but I will probably opt for beans, spinach, and rice.  7 miles recovery pace on tap for tomorrow and I think it will be on the treadmill.  Its gonna be about 6 degrees in the morning and I can pretty well sacrifice 7 miles on the belt to avoid that.

Docket - How was the donut?

Amik - I ran the monumental half in 2011.  It was about 32 to 40 degrees, which I thought was wonderful.  I would like those temps for every marathon.  Always a crapshoot though, aint it?!

Josh - 8 with 4 MP tomorrow?

Tricia - Good job on your tempo run!

mdawg - sorry bout the birds.  Silly turnover by Ryan.  Ought to be interesting to see the bro bowl however, so I am actually pleased with the results.  Should be a hard fought game this year.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Jag:  I will be opting for the TM tomorrow too...supposed to 9 here at my normal running time.  I think 32-40 would be absolutely perfect so yeah...it will probably be 80 in November Wink

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This is not contributing to end the argument that people think you're a dude, Jenny. Big grin

Very ninja like.

balacava

See if this works - what I wore running yesterday.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think the fact that you ran a sub-4 in that weather and with a potty stop shows you can PR huge next time.

Good afternoon, all!  It's been quite awhile since I checked in on the Donuts.  I hope everyone is well and 2013 is off to a great start.  I am going to try to get back in the routine of checking in here and keeping up, something I really haven't been doing since I discovered you all moved over here.

Anyway, no long race report right now, but I did complete the Disney Marathon and ran my first sub-4.  It was great to PR, but also my most disappointing marathon race in many ways (I ran a 1-mile race in 8th grade I don't even want to talk about!).  I ran a 3:57:19 (yea!), but tanked a bit late.  The troubles began at mile 21 when I had to stop and visit the port-a-john.  I had put it off for 3 or 4 miles, but alas...  It cost me 2 minutes that mile and really blew up my momentum (plus it was about 100 degrees in the mini-restroom).  It was very difficult to get back to pace and made the rest of the run a real challenge.  I had hit the half at 1:55 and at mile 20 was still on pace for a 3:50.  I actually felt pretty comfortable pace/-wise until I stopped (not too tired, no feeling of hitting the customary "wall"), although I was a bit nauseated.  So, those last five miles were a bit rougher than I would have liked, but there's a lot of room to improve that time this year and am looking forward to it.  I think I'm definitely going in the right direction fitness-wise, but GI issues are a periodic problem when I do long runs and something I need to figure out from a food and timing persepctive, I think.  Am open to ideas or suggestions on what you all do, although I suspect these are individual issues that vary for each of us.

Like I said, no long race report here, but I will try to get involved in the conversation again.  I hope you are all doing well!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Back from Jupiter from the FE.

indiana, I never had a donut.

Damaris

White Lightning

Josh - 8 with 4 MP tomorrow?

8 with 4 at 15k to HMP tomorrow

Just finished my plyo, love that workout.  Trying to ease myself into it so I don't kill myself so only going 50% effort or so, heck of a workout

Play the Game Hard!

Ball of Fury

What Plyo workout are you doing?

8 with 4 at 15k to HMP tomorrow

Just finished my plyo, love that workout.  Trying to ease myself into it so I don't kill myself so only going 50% effort or so, heck of a workout