The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

philibusters

I was originally going to try to make this three day weekend a running weekend going

Saturday: 17

Sunday 10

Monday: 10

However as I returned to the Noland Trial this morning it became apparent I was in no shape to run the trial again as my body was really sore from yesterday.  So I ended driving to the track which is nice and flat for a four mile recovery run.  Short term it was disappointing, but long term pushing yourself when your body says no can lead to injury.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Actually I feel like I may have just finished my peak marathon training week.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

Actually I feel like I may have just finished my peak marathon training week.

Relatively speaking I am having a great month... 123 miles through 20 days equals 6 miles a day.  I have certainly had better months over the past 3 years including 7 or 8 200+ mile months in the past 3 years, but after being on the down slope of a mileage graph for the past four months, this month feels like  a huge improvement.  I have already exceeded my individual mileage totals  from October, November, and December and I have 10 days left.

And yet when I look at the current month running total, I see Perry is only 6 miles from having doubled me for the month.

philibusters

For all the debates we have about training, I kind of feel DR has used the most effective training techniques over the last few years.

In a broad sense, you could probably clump the five of us into three categories

1.  Systematic:  This runner always has specific goals in mind and works towards those goals.  Their running is geared towards hitting goals and that may put less of an emphasis on the social side of running.

DR

2.  Intrinsic Love of Running (ILR Runner):  This runner likes to run.  The social aspect of running is an important part of running for this runner, but even when this runner doesn't have a person to run with they are still run.  This runner is a lot less systematic than the systematic runner, though at times this runner can be systematic.

Perry

3.  Semi-Serious Recreational Runner:  This runner is similar to the Intrinsic Lover of Running Runner, but is less consistent and seems to not quite have the intrinsic love of the sport that the ILR runner has.  At times the SSR Runner mirrors the ILR, but the SSR runner is characterized by a much wider ranges of fitness levels than the ILR runner because they training load varies so much more.

Joe

Crystal

Phil

Phil,

Did you create those categories or find them somewhere?

philibusters

Created them.

Sometimes I think Phil is trying to motivate me when he classifies me as something like "Semi-Serious Recreational Runner!"

I ran in grass and my T7s for the first time today in a long time and it felt quite good.

Durrr

Phil, I think that your categorical runner terms will soon be adopted by major running publications like Runner's World and Running Times, along with coaches and notable running speakers/authorities everywhere.

I've had a bad habit lately of taking two days to finish fully logging my Saturday running. Fortunately, the tale of the four 3200s (which amounts to 32 speed laps, curiously enough) has been told in full. The interval set was a much needed confidence booster following other recent workouts that were marginally successful at best --- or didn't happen at all (e.g., that intended 7-mile time trial that I had to translate to the elliptical due to sickness). It reassured me that my current fitness isn't too far off from what it was at the time of the LPR10. Now I just need to get my mileage to take off like it was supposed to (previously I'd said some brazen words about amassing 350 miles in January, but at this point I'm in terrible danger of not even making it to 200).

Except the key to improving mileage will be getting back into the early a.m. running (12/21/12 was the last time I ran before sunrise), with regular double days, and the next few mornings are looking awfully daunting ...

(Wednesday.)

5 AM

16°

Clear

FEELS LIKE:

HUMIDITY:

39%

PRECIP:

0%

WIND:

WNW at 8 mph

6 AM

15°

Clear

FEELS LIKE:

HUMIDITY:

41%

Created them.

Well, then...I think you are on your way to writing your first Running 101 book.

philibusters

Sometimes I think Phil is trying to motivate me when he classifies me as something like "Semi-Serious Recreational Runner!"

I ran in grass and my T7s for the first time today in a long time and it felt quite good.

Probably not the best name for the term, but my goal was to convey its a runner who is sometimes like Perry but lacks his consistency.   I think Crystal, you, and I have all had periods over the last 3 years where we trained consistently and good and are serious about running, but we have all gone through long periods where running was more of a secondary concern.

philibusters

I did a workout that was a little bit like DR's 4 X 3200 but cut in half.   Basically 4 X 1600, but I had slightly longer breaks in between reps (about 6 minutes including 4 minutes of jogging) and my pace was 20 seconds slower.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just saw your mile repeats in the log, Phil - nice set.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

From DR's entry it was colder in St. Mary's than in Hampton Roads.  I thought it was really cold where I was but my car therometer said it was 30 after I hopped back in the car after my workout.  Sounds like it was closer to 20 yesterday evening back in St. Mary's.

Durrr

Outside my garage, there's an old fashioned mercury thermometer right next to a modern digital thermometer. The latter tends to read about 4 degrees higher than the former --- so when I log a run, I usually pick a temp halfway between the readings of the two thermometers. But the mercury was indeed down to 19 degrees upon the conclusion of my Fartlek run! Meanwhile I hope that Perry and Alison were well bundled for their frigid late evening track run. Seriously, once the temp starts slipping below 20 degrees, anything (e.g., a nose or the back of your neck if you're not wearing a hood) exposed to the elements for too long is at risk of frostbite. I made it through yesterday evening's run alright, yes, but it convinced me that I should stay indoors this morning (when it was nearly 10 degrees colder, with a "feels like" just above 0 degrees).

By the way, Phil, the map views of your 1600s log entries all show you stopping about 150m before the point at which you started each interval. Were you doubling back in the 3rd laps?

Durrr

Darn! Demers is making me look bad.

Brandon Demers
                                Jumping into a pool after running an hour at 430 was less than pleasurable #runnerprobs #noothertimetotrain
                                Like ·  · Share · @BrandonDemers on Twitter · about an hour ago via Twitter · 3 people like this.