Ultra Runners

RWOL Ultra marathon forum.... (Read 89 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

The problem with the trail races is the cutoff time. Add in the vertical gain and possibly altitude and I'm looking at an almost guaranteed DNF. I figure it would take me 16-18 hours for a 100K, hence the 24-hour races.

WC as my 2 100k finishes are 16 hr and 17hr(neither very pretty) , I say dont write off a 100k, there are some nice midwest courses w/o vert or alritude for us who ate getting our moneys worth out of the race.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

hey all. ok where is my old man yelling at the cloud?

i dont know if we are doing weeklies here but since nobody posting on the fb group ill just start with mine

47 miles this week all on dead legs. the 5k i did a week ago just took everything out of me. yes it IS worse than either of the 50milers i did this summer. i might be done with road races for the foreseeable future. it's just too much time feeling like crap for a short distance where no one gives a shit about runners anyways. they screwed up all the times and ages etc. so i get no accurate result for my troubles. hope to recover from this soon. the upcoming half in 2 weeks may be a dns for me 

Agree, 5k scares me more because if u race it, thats way more painful and injury chance higher in training/execution imho.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Well i went and registered for Hennepin 50 mile race (part of Hennepin 100 here in IL (was sober...more or less).  Its this coming weekend.   It just looks too fun to pass up.  I have 5 weeks until Tunnel Hill, so plenty of recovery.  Ultrasignup claims another victim...   I have to decide whether to get a tent and camp or stay at a crummy hotel.  After acouple of races I will break even then it will be $$ in the bank.  My only hesitation is I would like a good shower after.  Also would want a stove to make coffee.

skim1124

Running to eat

Good to see more familiar faces here.

Just two weeks out from the Des Plaines River 50M on Oct 14.  Finished a 75-mile week on Saturday with a 12-miler with some quarter-, half-, and one-mile repeats in the middle miles.  Now I'm in taper mode with 40-45 miles planned this week, including some hill repeats and a little bit of speed-work.

Nutrition question: If you're a meat-eater, when would you eat a nice steak (12oz rib-eye) during race week?   Since I'm planning to carbo-load the day before, I thought eating a steak also would perhaps be too much.  So I'm thinking of having it for dinner two nights before to "protein-load", but also just because I like steak.  Is that too heavy of a meal too close to the race, or does it not matter?  Any ideas?

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

drock69

42 miles for me this week, and another 9 miles of walking at lunch etc. I did a 15km trail race on Saturday, not an ultra, first non-ultra trail race for me. I wanted to check out the trails around Buntzen Lake, the Diez Vista 100k/50k is on the same trail, I don't think I'll be doing the 100k with 4000m of vert. and a 15.5hr cutoff after seeing the trail. I think it's one of the steeper trails I've been up, 27% for 2km, and some of that was runable, so steeper in some sections, I was using my hands a bit on one short section. Finished the race around 2h30, slower than I thought, lost a bit on a wrong turn that connected back to the trail, but was longer. Sprained my ankle, so walked that off for a bit, and was taking it easier on the downhills. Pretty slow at the end on the easier trails, I'm not used to pacing these shorter runs, I think I could have run 2x the distance at the pace I was going, felt like I was going hard, but had a lot left at the finish. I'm going to try to get into the 50k Diez Vista race, it sells out really quickly.

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Sep 25, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 01, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
            Mon 1.9 15:45 Lunch Walk 103 strava
            Tue 7.6 9:17 12.2km — Mountainview — 5km tempo 350 strava
            Tue 1.9 15:26 Lunch Walk 102 strava
            Wed 9.8 10:39 15.6km — Mountainview — easy/slow run 613 strava
            Wed 2.0 16:21 Lunch Walk 102 strava
            Wed 1.4 15:10 Evening Walk 73 strava
            Thu 6.5 10:43 10.4km — Mountainview — 6x30s hill repeats 341 strava
            Thu 2.1 16:02 Lunch Walk - beautiful day, didn't want to go back to work 153 strava
            Sat 0.6 12:21 Buntzen Lake warm-up 39 strava
            Sat 8.3 16:54 5 Peaks Buntzen Lake — 13.2km supposed to be 15km 2341 strava
            Sun 9.4 9:23 15.1km — 2x QE Park — Easy Run 659 strava
              51.5 12:12   4876  

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

GC100k

, I thought eating a steak also would perhaps be too much.  So I'm thinking of having it for dinner two nights before to "protein-load", but also just because I like steak.  Is that too heavy of a meal too close to the race, or does it not matter?  Any ideas?

Steak two nights before will be out of your system by race day.

berylrunner

Rick

RunningDenver - I have done the double crossing twice.  South Kaibab, North Kaibab, Bright Angel (highly recommended route) and North Kaibab, Bright Angel, North Kaibab (the climb at the end of this route is a doozy).  Mileage and elevation change questions were answered.  I would say go for it, not as hard as one would think, if you prepare and don't try to race the canyon for speed.

Skim - Another nice week!  Sounds like the steak is a special treat for you.  I would save it for a post race reward.  I don't think I would eat anything excessive (although a 12 oz. steak is not excessive for us big guys) before a race.  Lucky I don't race because one of the best things I had was a huge chicken fried steak meal 3 hours before one of those Grand Canyon hikes and felt great.

FNKYHD - I am seeing the old man on the computer, but no pics on the phone.  Nice job on the 5k.  Too bad about about the sore leg and timing errors.  Chalk it up to "technology sucks sometimes".  The stopwatch on my cheap watch works flawlessly.

Drock - Nice week.

Me - Not much running last week.  One medical issue has resolved.  Foot is still achy but I am running on it at this point.  Started a run streak as of yesterday.  Trans Zion, aka: Zion Traverse, aka Zion Trek, (49 miles) is scheduled in 3 weeks.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

skim1124

Running to eat

Steak two nights before will be out of your system by race day.

I see.  Even though I'm very interested in food, I actually know very little about nutrition.  I guess there are other questions behind my initial question. 1) Is there a benefit to eating steak in terms of taking in some extra protein before a race?  2) If there is a benefit, when should it be eaten in relation to race day to get maximum benefit?  3) If it's good to take in extra protein, but perhaps a big steak isn't the best way to do it, what are some alternatives I can eat and when?  4) Can "protein-loading" interfere with carbo-loading?

I also like Rick's idea about saving it for post-race.  Or perhaps I'll just have a second steak post-race.

I know that this isn't a make-or-break issue regarding race-day performance, but I thought I'd take this chance to learn something I've been curious about.

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Skim, i think it depends on if you are used to eating beef. personally i would not change anything or eat anything you are not used to prior to the race. for me i have had problems after eating beef. it's hard on your gut if you are not used to it.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

skim1124

Running to eat

Skim, i think it depends on if you are used to eating beef. personally i would not change anything or eat anything you are not used to prior to the race. for me i have had problems after eating beef. it's hard on your gut if you are not used to it.

Oh, I'm definitely used to eating beef (and pork and chicken and fish and...)  I don't think that'll be a problem.  I'm just wondering how to get maximum benefit from protein-loading (if there is such a thing) and avoid any potential problems.

drock69

Skim - I think it's better to spread out protein intake, if you take in too much at once, it not really used. Maybe half a steak for dinner, and steak and eggs for breakfast and a steak sandwich. I'm like FunkyHd, I hardly eat steak, so it's hard on my stomach. As well protein is good after a hard effort to rebuild muscle, so after the race would be good too

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Quick driveby...

Questions questions:

Is anyone here posting in Trailer Trash as someone suggested?

Do I know these people? (trying to get used to new names for some of you - I fear change.)

A few of us from the RWOL320 group are planning on R2R2R in May.  Beryl - South Kaibab, North Kaibab, Bright Angel - did I get it right, i.e. is that what we should do?  Looking forward to it.

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Sep 25, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 01, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                          Tue 9.0 9:16 Afternoon Run 515 strava
                          Wed 15.0 11:49 Morning Run 1684 strava
                          Thu 4.6 10:27 Morning Run 247 strava
                          Fri 3.0 9:20 Morning Run 30 strava
                          Sat 28.1 11:26 50k for Tony's B-Day 2342 strava
                          Sun 4.2 19:12 Morning Run 211 strava
                            63.9 11:34   5029  
                          wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Questions questions:

Is anyone here posting in Trailer Trash as someone suggested?

Do I know these people? (trying to get used to new names for some of you - I fear change.)

I post in Trailer Trash. I think Gatsbybird aka Danibird does too.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I post in Trailer Trash. I think Gatsbybird aka Danibird does too.

Yep, I'm in the Trailer Trash group.  Since I'm not in ultra mode now,* I mostly lurk here and post there.  I didn't notice any new people posting in Trailer Trash as a result of the RWOL exodus.

*To recap: I'm a month out from NRR surgery.  Currently limited to short joggity jogs, will slowly ramp back up.  I have peeked at Ultra Signup.  I might even be eyeing a 50 or two for next year.  But, holding off on signing up for anything just yet.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

Seamax/Drock where (or kinda how) do you get that nice training week template you post your week in?

Skim:  re steak, no great advice here, I wouldn't because I don't eat it too much so not used to it, and I feel heaviness after

eating.  The protein question is interesting, never heard of loading so much as rebuilding.  I do try to take some protein after

I run, sometimes whey protein, within 30 min to 1 hr, usually about 20g  with some carbs.

I have heard people advocate this for training before bed as well, but I haven't

gone there unless its after a workout.  I haven't ever heard any pre race protein loading and in fact very little

about protein or fat requirements during an ultra race.

my week:

Mon  rest

Tues 6.75E

Wed  6.72E

Thu  15.3E  10:24mi/min @75 degrees flat asphalt trail

Fri    Rest  (not planned just tired of running)

Sat  16.65 @ 9:46 hillier trail, 50 degrees out!

Sun 12.5 miles with 3.5Tempo

total 58 miles, no significant elevation as usual

total September miles: 251

This turned into mini-cutback week (initial plan was 70).  I was tired of running by Fri and so didn't

run Friday like I usually do, then on the weekend not enough time (or desire)

to make it up.  I just put the temperatures above because you can see how great it

is when that cool fall temp rolls in things get much easier.  (it just went back to 80 today but was high

40s-50 for the weekend am runs.

Since I went and signed up for Hennepin 50 mile this Sat on a whim, I am just going to poke

around this week which is oddly a relief because finding time to run can be stressful during the week.

I am going to try a quasi-minimalist approach-no over planning, no over packing (but I will bring shoes

and rain gear because there's good chance of rain).