Ultra Runners

September 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 33 times)

nOOky

51.72 miles for the week with just over 8,000 feet of gain and one overnight run. Last night's run to loosen up was 4 mils long, and my last mile was 7:37 so I feel somewhat hopeful i can finish my next 100, maybe.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

RWD

Jay - I'm sorry I missed you. I wasn't sure if you'd decided to pace or not. It gets so crowded at the finish that it's no surprise we didn't see each other. It looks like Janet finished a little less than an hour ahead of me. Considering what happened at her previous Superior 100, I am glad you went with her during the night. It wasn't that warm overall, except for Carlton. It's so exposed. Actually Moose Mountain is a bit more exposed than I remember, because I'm usually climbing it during the morning, not the late afternoon.

Fnky - I enjoy volunteering as it's the way I make running friends. I am too slow for most group runs (and I don't get up at the crack of dawn), so I don't meet people through clubs/fatasses/etc.

My ankles hurt. Wahhhhhhhhh.

drock69

RWD - thanks for the race report! Sounds like a really tough day, starting with almost zero sleep, and being sick. I think I've only ever had one run where I was sick, and ended up walking home. Can't imagine finishing a trail marathon like that! Running on not enough sleep is so tough, was part of the reason I didn't finish my 100k in April

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

gear question: handheld light only and the 2200mAh power brik battery that i will used to recharge my watch or spare headlamp too? on the 22nd there will be almost a full harvest moon 96.6% illumination 6:30 to 4am. that will probably be enough light unless it is stormy so its possible i will hardly need it. except that would increase my chance of getting off course if the markers are reflective

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

Even with the full moon you'll want a light source for sure. Always carry a backup, spare batteries do nothing if something else is wrong with your light source.

I'm not 100% sure what exactly you are asking, but I always carry my cell phone in airplane mode, two light sources, and a lipstick battery for charging my watch only.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

RWD: Congrats on your finish, sounds like a tough outing.

Beryl: Good call on stopping.

Lights: What Nooky said, at least for being out all night - 2 light sources, backup power for at least one of them.  If I'm only going to be in darkness for a little while, I'll risk it with one.

Fnky: I hope the knee calms down before your race.

Tahoe 200: I spent way too much time watching that the past 4 days.  Fun though.

I'm headed off to Idaho in a couple days for IMTUF.  I've wanted to run this race since before I did my first 100.  Too many great races this time of year though so I'm just getting to this one.

RWD

RWD: Congrats on your finish, sounds like a tough outing.

Beryl: Good call on stopping.

Lights: What Nooky said, at least for being out all night - 2 light sources, backup power for at least one of them.  If I'm only going to be in darkness for a little while, I'll risk it with one.

Tahoe 200: I spent way too much time watching that the past 4 days.  Fun though.

I'm headed off to Idaho in a couple days for IMTUF.  I've wanted to run this race since before I did my first 100.  Too many great races this time of year though so I'm just getting to this one.

Thanks! It sucked, but I'm over it. Signed up for my planned 50 miler today. If I miss a cutoff, so be it. Speaking of great races: consider running Superior in the near future. I could even be your crew! Actually I would recommend one of the Rocksteady Running races to all of you folks on here, as they're all very fun and scenic.

Drock, I wasn't even that sick so it was really frustrating. Maybe I was a little afraid/cautious, too, worrying about getting dizzy or blacking out like I did at Wild Duluth.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Even with the full moon you'll want a light source for sure. Always carry a backup, spare batteries do nothing if something else is wrong with your light source.

I'm not 100% sure what exactly you are asking, but I always carry my cell phone in airplane mode, two light sources, and a lipstick battery for charging my watch only.

i was asking what you answered, thanks Smile think ill go and get a headlamp as a backup

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

thanks. went to see Dr Carrie (Dr Curt has his own practice now). she got me doing tfl activation and adjusted my feet (wonderful btw). made a big difference and had a nice 13M run at carkeek today with only mild discomfort. 3 more visits until race day so i am feeling more confident

GL at IMTUF!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

Whistler trail closures, looks like my race next weekend could be cancelled, unless they change the route. Says they intend to keep the trails closed until the Grizzlies go to den, which means when it snows I'd think. Will find out more on Friday

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

RWD: Superior is on my list for early/mid Sept.  I have about 10 events I want to do in this timeframe, and each year I get to do one.  Cascade Crest, UTMB, Tahoe 200, Plain, now IMTUF.  I don't remember the full list right now but Superior, Wasatch, and maybe Tor de Geants (gulp) are on it.

Fnky: You already made your decision but if you are in the woods the moon will be no help.  Full moon is awesome but even with that you probably want it brighter.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Fnky: You already made your decision but if you are in the woods the moon will be no help.  Full moon is awesome but even with that you probably want it brighter.

ill get a backup. have some ugly shorts to return to rei ... i havent run much in the woods at night but when i used to climb i would hike way behind the others because i always prefer natural light to the tunnel even when it was almost totally dark. when there is a little bit of light filtering down (even in the woods but it depends on the woods) you can actually learn to use the cones and peripheral vision becomes more useful. give it a try! just gives your eyes a few minutes to adjust. it also eliminates shadows which can be a problem on rocky terrain. i'll make sure to have backup light source though. ill be very tired and everything i said may be out the window and if it's cloudy then forget it! and that was >20 years ago when my senses were more acute. my eyes are pretty shot these days. tested my old zephyr 300 timing and it stayed bright enough on low for over 10 hours!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

still cant modify a post without a double. sorry Sad the little drop down mane only has one option

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

still cant modify a post without a double. sorry Sad the little drop down mane only has one option

It may depend on platform.  I notice some option not availbale on mobile.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block