Ultra Runners

Welcome New Members! (Read 1874 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Jason, unless you've started to run really fast, I'm assuming you mean the 2:30 pace leader for the 1/2 Marathon?

With the way Jason looks lately, I wouldn't put it past him to be pacing the 2:30 marathon group soon. 

Running is dumb.

NorNev

With the way Jason looks lately, I wouldn't put it past him to be pacing the 2:30 marathon group soon. 

Ya, I can now see him holding up the 2:05 pacing sign for the next Olympic Marathon trials

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

...and another thing I found and enjoyed in my very limited ultra experience was that there was no "clowning" around like I've been finding in marathons...nobody was dressed up in stupid costumes, fewer people with Iphones, Ipods, etc..., no pacers, no corrals, no celeberties running, just a quiet race with runners that seemed to be pretty cool! 

So you haven't seen my friend in his pink tutu at Badwater or other races yet.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Keith is great. But then there are plenty of ultras that feature costumes more generally... the first 100 I did, Javelina Jundred, is basically a big Halloween party.

NorNev

So you haven't seen my friend in his pink tutu at Badwater or other races yet.

No, nevermind me...I'm still pissed at getting beat by 2 chicks wearing robes and slippers at a local 8K here recently

Ultra Cowboy

Thought I'd poke my head in here and check you out.   I have one 50k under my belt this last June, and I plan on one or two more this year.  More from an aspect of wanting to have a better race as opposed to a better time. (fueling, pacing and training) 

I've been inspired by RJR and his ability to express the mental and emotional side of an ultra.  If you havenot readany of his detailed race reports you should set aside a weekend and check out his blog. 

Looking forward to meeting some new folks and improving my Ultra skills. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

John, Jason and NorNev?

this.is.awesome.

<sniff> And here I thought you'd be excited I made my way over here too <sniff>

I have many noob questions, but I'll try to limit them and only ask 6 or 7 at a time. Smile

A bit of running history...completed last marathon in 2004, since that point, been running off and on.  Began getting 'serious' again since July.  Take that to mean that my long runs are currently about 6 and some change.  SO..

How many MPW should I be running to even begin to consider training for an Ultra (I am guessing that I'd try a 50K first, before a 50 miler)?  Am I crazy to even be thinking of running an Ultra at this point, until I get the feeling of running the marathon distance again?

I see that there is a local Ultra training group here in San Antonio, but before I approach them asking to train with them, I wanted to be somewhat prepared. 

Uh oh... now what?

I have many noob questions, but I'll try to limit them and only ask 6 or 7 at a time. Smile

A bit of running history...completed last marathon in 2004, since that point, been running off and on.  Began getting 'serious' again since July.  Take that to mean that my long runs are currently about 6 and some change.  SO..

How many MPW should I be running to even begin to consider training for an Ultra (I am guessing that I'd try a 50K first, before a 50 miler)?  Am I crazy to even be thinking of running an Ultra at this point, until I get the feeling of running the marathon distance again?

I see that there is a local Ultra training group here in San Antonio, but before I approach them asking to train with them, I wanted to be somewhat prepared. 

I have never passed the "serious runner's exam" and probably never will, but any consistent running pattern is a good place to start.  Just get steady, work on endurance first ... http://www.ultrunr.com still has a lot of good stuff to read.  

There is no logical progression for running ultramarathons.  It is somewhat meaningless, but my first six ultras were 50k (10 5k laps on pavement), 6-hour on trails, 50-mile roads, 75-k on roads, 50k on roads, 50-miles (trails).  Just find one, train for the distance, go run.

Hill Country folks?  Stay away from Bandera.

DoppleBock

Really running a marathon or 50k or 50 miler can be done all with marathon training ... as long as you have a generous cut-off, you pace nice and easy, eat and drink enough and are stubborn enough.  Find an easy smaller elevation change, not too technical 50k.  Trail races tend to be laid back and low key compared to marathon where everything is about how fast you run them.  Taking time to BS with aide station volunteers, eat a doughnut or drink a beer on course is allowed.   

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Brotha from anotha motha - Big guy to Big guy ... Welcome.

Thought I'd poke my head in here and check you out.   I have one 50k under my belt this last June, and I plan on one or two more this year.  More from an aspect of wanting to have a better race as opposed to a better time. (fueling, pacing and training) 

I've been inspired by RJR and his ability to express the mental and emotional side of an ultra.  If you havenot readany of his detailed race reports you should set aside a weekend and check out his blog. 

Looking forward to meeting some new folks and improving my Ultra skills. 

DoppleBock

RunJasonRun - Congrats on the Pinhoti 100 finish

I have never passed the "serious runner's exam" and probably never will, but any consistent running pattern is a good place to start.  Just get steady, work on endurance first ... http://www.ultrunr.com still has a lot of good stuff to read.  

There is no logical progression for running ultramarathons.  It is somewhat meaningless, but my first six ultras were 50k (10 5k laps on pavement), 6-hour on trails, 50-mile roads, 75-k on roads, 50k on roads, 50-miles (trails).  Just find one, train for the distance, go run.

Hill Country folks?  Stay away from Bandera.

Thanks John and Dopple.....the allure of being able to run nice and easy, eat and BS more is what attracts me to the Ultra.  I mentioned previously that I want to be involved in something that I am not a slave to the competition, time and pressure of the marathon.  The more I read RunJasonRun's and Mandy's reports on their journey's, the more intrigued I become. 

I see that the H.C. folks do have a few local Ultras. Also, one of the local guys that heads up a local running group just completed Badwater, so local resources are available....but these forums provide a wider breadth of experience. Thanks again.

Uh oh... now what?

I see that the H.C. folks do have a few local Ultras. Also, one of the local guys that heads up a local running group just completed Badwater, so local resources are available....but these forums provide a wider breadth of experience. Thanks again.

One other little thing you can do... volunteer at a nearby ultramarathon.

Meet lots of weird and interesting people.

Stay up all night (Bandera 100k, Cactus Rose... )

Get a t-shirt without training or running (common reward, but not always)

Lots of great conversations that disconnect and reconnect all through the day, and night.

Subscribe to UltraRunning?   ... can I say that here?

rgot

daneel

Do you guys have room for one more refugee?