Ultra Runners

March 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 29 times)

Aaaand, I just got the notification today. Miwok has been cancelled.

Brew, where did you see that Miwok was cancelled?  I’ve no doubt that’s coming, but I haven’t seen any official announcements.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Just a dude.

Aaaand, I just got the notification today. Miwok has been cancelled.

:-(

This whole mess is really depressing... I really hope things turn around and quick.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

nOOky

Unfortunately I think we are looking at literally months of this, and not weeks. It could affect races the rest of the year. The good thing is that if you are out running alone outside on trails you likely won't be bothered if extreme measures like in San Fran take place everywhere.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

i was thinking we are probably somewhere between Korea and Italy when it comes to how well we mitigated the spread. in case anyone thinks its like the flu (my poor dear Cousin thinks it's a media conspiracy against you-know-who). fyi 475 people died in Italy yesterday. just one day. that's a country with 1/5 the US population. we havent seen a flu like that since 1918 so hopefully we are more like Korea. our response was late and inadequate because of the asymptomatic nature of the spread and incubation period. even just a couple of days ago i saw large groups of runners doing a workout on the soccer field all jabbering away just inches from each other. young energetic people probably thinking of themselves.

I hope everyone can get out running. i went out cycling yesterday and it was a little dangerous. so many people outside who apparently have never used the multi use path. maybe cycling isnt the best idea when the hospital is already overtaxed...and every once in a while but more often than normal someone freaks out a little. i got yelled at while shopping and yesterday the bottle of bleach in my cart brought exasperated sighs from a couple of people. hey i use that in my laundry...plus DW is working in the c19 unit so feck off! ok i guess that's me freaking out a little 

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

Fnky, I was pretty horrified by your description of how things were operating in that lab -- in Seattle! Hopefully enough people are practicing social distancing that we can somewhat compensate for more careless people. But in a medical setting, ugh.

I've been getting out running as usual, although the weather here is gloomy and it's making a dent in my motivation to run more than 4-5 miles. Since there's nothing to train for, that's probably enough, and on the weekends I can do longer runs. I'm hoping to get in a few new counties and state parks - already visited a new state park last weekend, as did a lot of others! It was pretty busy.

Omg, the face-touching emoji made me laugh.

I’m still running, did 9.2 yesterday, just not sure what I’m training for...

RWD

Zumbro was canceled, and Ice Age has been postponed until August. Kettle Moraine 100 is still on but has a postponement date in place. Superior Spring is up in the air.

It's cold here, which has sapped almost any interest I had left in running, but I've gotten out as planned. Hoping for a couple nice trail runs this weekend, and then some warmer weather next week.

Pain is my friend

Killer week. Since the kids are home I can run trail more. Got out 3 times for 74.6 miles with 7,600 ft vert. Long run today was 24 miles with 4K vert. Some fast trails and some steep climbs.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

glad to hear you guys are getting out. Krash nice week as usual. enjoyed your pics from that ridge looking over the big basin there. i miss big skies.

38.2M 3022' running, 22.2M 1224' Cycling. trying to figure out wtf i am doing as usual. thought of doing a self supported thing but decided not because basically i am a germaphobe and dont want to weaken my immune system. so then i thought how about easy days anyways and a pretend taper...but ended up, as usual, taking the middle road. just  trying to keep my distance from ppl. aerosols do not know about no magic 10'. just trying to be mindful. hell i live like a monk mostly anyway, actually staying home with family leaves me less time to myself not more.

on cancellation, i like the idea of virtual races. how about giving out a gpx of the course and just let the runners figure it out and then they can submit their gpx within a certain time frame. if it's close in distance and vert be lenient and let everyone play. personally USATF cert doesnt matter to me. i know it probably does to some but these are extreme times.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

51 miles, 5500' vert.  Nice run in the Marin Headlands yesterday.

I signed up for a virtual 15 miler for next weekend.  The RD made all upcoming races virtual, and the maps are all available on their website. However, the one I'm doing is on an island that's a state park, and it's closed.  So I'll run 15 next weekend, more or less, probably in the Headlands again, and call it my virtual race.  Really, I signed up just to help out the RD.  I'll probably sign up for more.  I'm still employed, I've still got income, and I know a lot of people have neither so I'm happy to pitch in.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Sorry to hear all races canceled.  Our state just locked down. Though still no humvees etc rolling around, though they were seen coming in on the trains. Trails are open of course.  I walked a couple miles. Still no running.  Actually having snow today and freezing.

I did put together a PT routine from online. and now just need to commit.  We have food all over now so I'm sure I'm going to gain a ton. My wife took to prepping pretty seriously.  Work is about to get busy but hasn’t yet.  Calm before the storm.  

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

D3 has been canceled.  You know this is one of my favorite races and local.   The announcement posted on the D3 FB page is worth a read.  I was only supposed to crew this year, but this would have been, I think, the first major opportunity to qualify for the 2021 US 24-hour national team.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                  06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Just a dude.

68.5 miles this week with about 4500 elevation and a 26 mile long run. My first time ever running that far.

We've had lots of snow lately so it's hard to find good places to run off the roads. Today had 6 miles of mud... But I guess mud is better than a treadmill... /shrug

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

skim1124

Running to eat

Only 38 miles last week.  Hope to be able to get back to the States later this week and while self-quarantining at my brother-in-law's lake home in Michigan and beyond that, I still plan to get out and run to keep training and to keep my sanity.  It'll be interesting to see, if things get worse, what effect that might have on running outdoors.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)