Ultra Runners

RWOL Ultra marathon forum.... (Read 89 times)

AT-runner

Tim

it was someone named Timothy

That was probably me.  I saw the link for schedule and hit it and said "ask for permission".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

RWD

The Birkie is hosting the USATF Trail Half Marathon championship this weekend.

I am going to get run over by Hayden Hawks.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Okay I made it over.  I am not on FB so I was glad to see everyone here.  Inspired by RWD and

the bird formerly known as Dani Bird,  I changed my name from WSultrarunner to Trail-Hound (can shorten to TH),

to give a shout out to my two beagles who are the worst running dogs but are great companions.

(like before I will get their pictures up as my avatar when I figure out how), .

Also, because WS is too much like Western States which I didn't intend, and

ultrarunner is not correct either because I like to run at a variety of distances, just more focused

currently on ultra distance.  Of course I run roads but Trail and Road Hound is just too much.

Rcvr: congrats on the 100!

RWD: have fun at Birkie, I am interested to hear what that is like because I would like to get

up there some day.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

I can think of worse ways to go. Have fun this weekend!

Hound, I've got one more bird so I think that means I can join one more running site. But that's it. 

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

berylrunner

Rick

Hayden is too nice to run you over, but make him jump over at least.  Don't know about that Joe Gray character, however.  Wow, what a showdown.  Have a great race!!

Are you still doing the spreadsheet?

I am registering for my first 50k.  The Capstone on December 2nd.  http://turdltrek.com/capstone/  Friend is the RD and I am going to do it as a fat glass.  So the goal is to finish and consume 6 beers.  One before the start and one every lap.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

berylrunner

Rick

Hi!

WC.  Congrats on your recent race.  Great mileage considering the heat and humidity.  Have you considered a trail race for your 100k goal.  I am thinking you could do Black Canyon or Javelina.  Yes, could be heat there, but it is manageable dry heat.  I know you like the loop courses but they might be hindering your goals.  Plus I think trails would be easier on the joints.  Just throwing out a suggestion.  As I have not done a short loop course, will not knock them until I try one.

5-24  Bryce 100

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC.  Congrats on your recent race.  Great mileage considering the heat and humidity.  Have you considered a trail race for your 100k goal.  I am thinking you could do Black Canyon or Javelina.  Yes, could be heat there, but it is manageable dry heat.  I know you like the loop courses but they might be hindering your goals.  Plus I think trails would be easier on the joints.  Just throwing out a suggestion.  As I have not done a short loop course, will not knock them until I try one.

The problem with the trail races is the cutoff time. Add in the vertical gain and possibly altitude and I'm looking at an almost guaranteed DNF. I figure it would take me 16-18 hours for a 100K, hence the 24-hour races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RWD

Hayden is too nice to run you over, but make him jump over at least.  Don't know about that Joe Gray character, however.  Wow, what a showdown.  Have a great race!!

Are you still doing the spreadsheet?

I am registering for my first 50k.  The Capstone on December 2nd.  http://turdltrek.com/capstone/  Friend is the RD and I am going to do it as a fat glass.  So the goal is to finish and consume 6 beers.  One before the start and one every lap.

I am not doing the spreadsheet as it doesn't embed here, but I see you found WCR's great alternative.

I also can't believe you are just now doing your first 50k. Did you jump from marathon to 50 mi then?

I discovered the downside to a super short taper is getting the taper flu on race week. Once I am out there running it's going to be great. I'm just hoping to get a few hours of sleep tonight before my pre-dawn 1.5 hr drive. I should stop worry about being in the way of the half marathoners though, I keep forgetting it's mostly on ski trails and there will be room to pass.

berylrunner

Rick

WC- check the websites.   Generous cutoffs, low elevation, little gain.  A few rocks.  Out of the two I would say Javelina is easier, plus more runner interaction.

RWD  - poor marathon runner to 100k.  I did have a few long runs prior including 35 miles in zion and a grand canyon R2R2R.  Hindsight,  I was not ready for distance, but finished

5-24  Bryce 100

RunningDenver

RWD  - poor marathon runner to 100k.  I did have a few long runs prior including 35 miles in zion and a grand canyon R2R2R.  Hindsight,  I was not ready for distance, but finished

Interesting.  So you did a R2R2R ?  That's on my list.  I've always though that was going to be pretty tough.  How much elevation gain is it ?  Something like 19K of ascent and descent over 40 something miles ?

______________________________________________________________________________

17:50 ('11) 37:23 ('16) 1.23:02 ('13) 2:53:22 ('13) 

2019: Leadville 50, Leadville 100, CIM

T Hound

Slower but happier

The problem with the trail races is the cutoff time. Add in the vertical gain and possibly altitude and I'm looking at an almost guaranteed DNF. I figure it would take me 16-18 hours for a 100K, hence the 24-hour races.

WC have you looked at St Pats 24

hr, South Bend Indianna,

have heard good things.  I would like

to get down their someday.

http://www.stpats24hour.com/

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC have you looked at St Pats 24

hr, South Bend Indianna,

have heard good things.  I would like

to get down their someday.

http://www.stpats24hour.com/

I was not aware of that one. I see they have a 12-hour also, which might be a better choice for me seeing that it is only 5 weeks after NC 24. NC 24 and D3 are two that I run every year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

OMR

RWD:  Did you wind up running the Birkie yesterday?  I was waiting at the finish line for a while around the time I thought you might come in, thinking if the announcer said, "Y from X," where Y was a female name, and X is where I believe you to be from, I would just walk up and say, "Are you RWD?"  But the announcer wasn't terribly good at announcing everyone...

I ran the half.  Hayden Hawks came in 4th (1:14:01), his Strava page says he didn't have any speed in his legs following CCC.  Joe Gray won it in 1:10:11.

Trail_Hound:  I really enjoyed the event.  You can pitch a tent there the night before/after if you wish.  The half and the full shared "some" of the same trail, although the half included a section of single track that I'm not sure was included in the other events.  Most of the trail I ran on is groomed snowmobile trail through the woods:  probably 15 feet wide, a few sections with some sand or a few rocks, but mostly grass and a pretty level running surface (meaning you don't need to worry TOO much about landing in a rut covered up by leaves).  The half included approximately 1200' feet of vertical according to my watch, but I think that is a bit conservative.  The section of single track was an absolute blast to run on.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

hey all. ok where is my old man yelling at the cloud?

i dont know if we are doing weeklies here but since nobody posting on the fb group ill just start with mine

47 miles this week all on dead legs. the 5k i did a week ago just took everything out of me. yes it IS worse than either of the 50milers i did this summer. i might be done with road races for the foreseeable future. it's just too much time feeling like crap for a short distance where no one gives a shit about runners anyways. they screwed up all the times and ages etc. so i get no accurate result for my troubles. hope to recover from this soon. the upcoming half in 2 weeks may be a dns for me 

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Interesting.  So you did a R2R2R ?  That's on my list.  I've always though that was going to be pretty tough.  How much elevation gain is it ?  Something like 19K of ascent and descent over 40 something miles ?

Depends on which trails on the south rim you use

SK NK SK is 42 miles

SK NK BA is 45 miles

BA NK BA is 48 miles

figure on a little over 20,000 feet elevation change.

You people have issues