Ultra Runners

October 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

Couch to 50k would be a great phone App!

Nothing tastes better than beer at end of race except beer and a cheeseburger imho.

strambo good job on the 10k pr!

Pete Kostelnick is amazing avg around 55 mile per day, not even sure what it’s properly called running Alaska to the east coast

https://mobile.twitter.com/petekostelnick?lang=en

I have a 10 day not running streak.  I walked a couple miles first time. I will see how things feel tomorrow. The lump in my shin is smaller. Only issue if I start running I will want to put a race on the schedule and if I do that I will want to train which is more running...

Beryl what’s your costume for Javelina?  May I suggest Bud Man https://www.dhgate.com/product/mascot-city-budman-hero-superman-mascot-mascot/232462724.html.  Or really any of those outfits rock.  Just that Bud man fits your particular race.   I love the “customers who bought this also bought...”

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Pain is my friend

56.6 miles of easy fun running. 5400 ft vert

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

11 laps for 31.35 miles at Piedmont 8 Hour Run. Finished with about 14-15 minutes to spare.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

11 laps for 31.35 miles at Piedmont 8 Hour Run. Finished with about 14-15 minutes to spare.

Nice job!

T Hound

Slower but happier

Got my C1s in the mail.  I love how light they are.  Did a little walk run 2 mi.  Tibial tendon felt ok.  Once swelling went down i could tell it was tendon not bone which is good.

RWD

That's a great success! Way to go!

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

WCR, nice job! 50k sounds like success!

54.7M 8563' vert including yesterday's Carkeek 6-hour which got me 25.7M and 6683' of climbing. not sure what the official result will say but i hit my goal of 6k and pretty happy about that. this feels like at least a little bit of redemption...but after all that running and climbing i went and had a few beers and stubbed my toe hard on a cabinet. it's killing me today and i think it's broken! go figure!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Hi all!

New to forum but not to trails or ultras.

Am looking for advice on crewing/pacing a friend at Brazos 100 this December from anyone that has done the race. It will be my first time at the venue so curious if there are any logistical oddities that aren't covered on race page. Also my friend is MUCH faster than me but I have way more trail and ultra experience than her. Anyone come across that situation before?

I'm keeping expectations of me pacing her low because I don't want to be that pacer that slows down their runner but will keep that option open and be ready if it makes sense. We've been friends for a long time but minimal running together so I'll be talking with her over the next month a lot about what she hopes/wants/expects to get from me. I want to hear better from her "why" she's running the distance.

I've paced three other 100 mile runners so have a clue on what to expect but they were always long time trail runners. this friend is almost exclusively a fast road runner. Slightly different situation than the other pacing gigs.

TIA!

WCR-Congrats on the 50k in 8 hours!

Krash-kudos for not feeling the need to round up to 57 miles. Nice!

TreadHound-Kettle is on my list but not this year. Looks like a great course! WTG on the streak. LOL I take it you are in recovery mode.

fnkyhd-ouch on the toe..at least it happened after the miles and vert were done, right?

Lisa

nOOky

Welcome to the forum! I can answer your question, but only for a beer or two next time I see you!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hi all!

Welcome! No advice for crewing or pacing since I've never run a 100. Everything I've read on the topic says to talk with the runner to see what they want or expect of crew and pacer. Depending on how far into the race you take up your pacing duties, speed may not be a factor, especially as she is more used to roads than trails.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Hi all!

fnkyhd-ouch on the toe..at least it happened after the miles and vert were done, right?

Momruns, welcome to the forum! i havent completed a 100M but i just dnf'ed one recently and the experience is still fresh in my mind.  her challenge may be to not-be-fast in the 100. there arent many road races over 26.2 to prove her mettle for a longer distance, and the blowup could come fast and furious. how willing will she be to walk-out a lot of the miles? is she mentally prepared for the ups and downs and willing to wait out the downs to recover while moving or will that maker her want to quit? i think that when you say she is faster than you that does not bode well. does she have an efficient "shuffle"? is she practicing hiking? thanks on behalf of all runners for pacing her though. i do think it is a noble thing to take up the challenge of getting your runner to the finish!

ya the toe injury was after the event during normal walking around the house. my friend was making me watch some music special with kenny g on it and it was almost my turn to make a selection so i was thinking about putting on some dead kennedys or fugazi for contrast and then i just kicked the cupboard that was suddenly in my way! still hurts like a sob today. i am thinking of taping it to it's neighbor toe. this really sucks because i am hardly sore from the race and feel like jogging today!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

hmm. my post didnt go. here's my report: https://fnkyhd.wordpress.com/2018/10/29/carkeek-6-hour-10-27-2018/

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

berylrunner

Rick

I will do an 8 day total to include my pacing miles.

Around 108.  Schedule at Javelina was:

Friday, a shake out run of 4.5 miles and then the beer mile in 10:20 good for 3rd place.  Extra kudos from RD Pat Sweeney for drinking heavy, good beer.

Saturday 10 miles on the back side of the course so not to interfere with the runners

Sat/Sun 58 miles of pacing.  Mostly hiking but occasionally my friend would feel good and run.  He finished in 27:23, so a good race for him, got his ws qualifer.

A fun weekend.  Travel was rough and I am still sleep deprived.

Treadmill hound - costume looks too hot.  I went pretty minimal and wore a loincloth when it was warm out.  I think it gave the runners and crowd a good laugh.  As of now, no pics have surfaced.  My wife is mortified.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I know some of you have seen this over in the Trailer Trash group, but for those that haven't, here's my Piedmont 8-Hour Race Report.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

nOOky

hmm. my post didnt go. here's my report: https://fnkyhd.wordpress.com/2018/10/29/carkeek-6-hour-10-27-2018/

Sorry about the toe, I guess walking indoors is worse than trail running eh?

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024