Ultra Runners

what it takes (Read 422 times)

New here and just wondering what made you run ultra distances?? Someday I hope to run REALLY far Smile
      The fact that just about everybody I knew didn't think I could do it and thought it was (and still think it is) insane. And, never having pushed myself to any kind of limits before, to see exactly what I was made of. I'm a much stronger person, mentally and physically, than I ever thought I could be. Pretty cool to figure that out in my 40s. Smile Have fun!!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

haha... that's how I feel too Smile

Ultrachick

Life is one big experiment-how far can I go? I'm not built to go fast but I can go for a long time but for how long who knows unless I shoot for a goal and hopefully make it. Plus it helps keep me skinny Big grin. Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Plus it helps keep me skinny Big grin. Kelly
            Amen!!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

You'll ruin your knees!

New here and just wondering what made you run ultra distances??)
              I do it for the hot babes.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

To see if I can. Oh - and for the hot babes.

Carl A

To live on simpler terms: Food, air, water, salt. To push beyond dejection, exhilaration. To make everything else in life seem easier.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Purdey

Self anointed title

To live on simpler terms: Food, air, water, salt. To push beyond dejection, exhilaration. To make everything else in life seem easier.
                    and presumably for the hot babes?

I feel I must chime in here - the hot dudes are an added plus! When their nice toned, tanned, topless bodies pass you on the trail, it gives you that added umpf to pick up a little bit to keep them in sight. Big grin

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Purdey

Self anointed title

Well said Leslie! [hoping to become one of those dudes in not too long]

Carl A

and presumably for the hot babes?
                          Na.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Wasatch Speedgoat

...on a somewhat serious note... Wink I started my years in the Boy Scouts hiking in the White Mountains in NH. I started running in the mid 70's after being heavily involved in Drum corps (BAC) for many years...I needed something when I got too old for that, so I found running after a small stint in bodybuilding which led to running. In 1975 bill Rodgers won the Boston Marathon, I was inspired enough to train for a marathon. I ran a 3:45 in 1978 at NYC. One year later I ran a 2:59, then 6 weeks later a 2:48. That was my PR. ...I think you get the point here...I was obsessed with attacking everything I got into. If I didn't get into running I probably would have gotten into alcohol like my dad and brothers. They took a left and I went right or vice-versa. I was living in Medford, Ma at the time across the highway from the Middlesex Fells Reservation....I started to run on trails. I went to trail races. I subscribed to Ultrarunning because of a friend of mine who knew the editors then. I went ballistically into running mileage on the trails. At a trail race I heard about a trail marathon....I ran it. At the trail marathon I heard about a 50K. I ran it, then a 50, then a 100. In 1996 I ran my first 50 and in 1998 my first 100 at Vermont. I had to run it in one day and did in 19:45. I kept going and two weeks ago finished my 2nd Hardrock 100, which is my present and probably always obsession. Why? Because Hardrock tries it's hardest to keep you from finishing it. Hardrock is basically a fast hike with some running here and there....remember where I started? Hiking? Life is a big circle, you will return from where you came Big grin Steve PS: The babes at Hardrock were hot Wink Right, Lynn?

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

PS: The babes at Hardrock were hot Wink Right, Lynn?
                              The hottest!... Actually, for those who don't know...Steve proposed to his beloved DURING Hardrock (no, not this year)!!!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

ultrasteve, I was in Drum Corps too....'87 and '89. Something I was very passionate about until the dreaded age out. Running has really seemed to take on that long lost passion and now instead of Drum Corps World, I subscribe to Runner's World...haha....I really hope to run really far one day (as soon as this damn ankle heals....twisted it walking the dog the other night)....I like numbers so since I'm 40 I'll train for a marathon at 42 and maybe even a 50 at 50 Smile..... I'll keep ya posted Smile