Ultra Runners

August 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

FunkyHD - I had my wife bring me a chilled latte during the Squamish 50 miler, I got that idea from you when you did SD50. It was a good treat at the halfway point. You could ask them if you can use a mini cooler, I guess even an insulated lunch bag might be okay, depending on what the food is

just checked the posted race rules and the cooler is out. oh well. mushy sandwich here i come!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

TH, i get nausea sometimes but it's never been super bad. i just wait and it subsides kinda like all the other annoying things that come and go. i actually find ginger chews to help with nausea. i use it mainly for stomach but i think maybe it helps for nausea too.

WC, nice week. gl pacing

66 miles 5344' ascent this week. had one extra day off (total 2) because of the smoke but when it blew away in the past 40 or so house i did 4 runs of between 9 and 12 miles at low intensity. i want to get where i can push my body to go when it's still trying to recover, but my intensity is very low so not much recovery is actually needed taking off some of the strain. i ve been following this years hardrock winner for a couple year on strava and his training is pretty inspiring for an aging runner. i mean we are all aging but it must be hard to consider longevity when you are competing at such a level but the training makes it obvious he does. and i do too. i dont think going for 100M is crazy at all (non sequitur). it's a logical progression from 100k...except that i kinda remember at the end of the 100k i thought my calf muscles were peeling off

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

FunkyHd - how about an insulated lunch bag with a small ice pack? That's if you have a freezer for the icepack in your hotel room

took a week off running, 45 min. bike on Saturday, and 1h55m bike on Sunday, both on the bike trainer, since it was rainy. Plus about 7 miles of walking during the week. Training starts tomorrow for Whistler Alpine Meadows 55k. Lots of vert in this race, 11k feet, mostly in 2 long climbs. Goes up to around 6000k feet, which is above the tree line here. 12.5 hour cutoff, hoping I can finish under 11, but who knows I think it's a tough race. 110k has 28 hour cutoff

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

FunkyHd - how about an insulated lunch bag with a small ice pack? That's if you have a freezer for the icepack in your hotel room

took a week off running, 45 min. bike on Saturday, and 1h55m bike on Sunday, both on the bike trainer, since it was rainy. Plus about 7 miles of walking during the week. Training starts tomorrow for Whistler Alpine Meadows 55k. Lots of vert in this race, 11k feet, mostly in 2 long climbs. Goes up to around 6000k feet, which is above the tree line here. 12.5 hour cutoff, hoping I can finish under 11, but who knows I think it's a tough race. 110k has 28 hour cutoff

hotel? that would be nice but not likely.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

We got a chance to chat with Gary Robbins after Buckin' Hell and he was like "you should try this new 110k" which I see is already full. Good luck on the 55k it looks tough!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

drock69

FunkyHD - I forgot you were camping

Nooky - 110k was sold out when I signed up, probably a good thing, since I don't know if I could do it so soon after Squamish. Next year the 175k will sell out quickly, 110k I'm not so sure, may sell out faster than the 55k. I want to try 100 miler next year, nothing local is really appropriate, so will probably have to travel

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

FunkyHD - I forgot you were camping

Nooky - 110k was sold out when I signed up, probably a good thing, since I don't know if I could do it so soon after Squamish. Next year the 175k will sell out quickly, 110k I'm not so sure, may sell out faster than the 55k. I want to try 100 miler next year, nothing local is really appropriate, so will probably have to travel

i didnt know i was camping either. still dont know for sure, but it's remote. as long as there is somewhere to poop that's not in full view of everyone i'm good

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Here is the RR for "Painful Elimination 15 hr run" I did on Saturday.  I posted it in the forum, but putting the link here.

PAINFUL ELIMINATION RR

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

TMH, Nooky thanks for the reports! midwest sounds painful in the summer!

thinking about my last race at WR and how my quads weren't ready. trying to fix that by focusing more on downhills but i dont know what else to do at this point. 3.5 weeks out now. vying for one more big miles week this week then taper, but i havent gotten anything really long in just because i cant find a big enough time block so i am doing something else b2b2b mlr's or b2b2b2b last weekend (2 of those in one day) all slow. that's a problem with summer training & DD out of school. i remember reading in Morelock's book about he likes to take it easy in winter time...but that's when the weather is nice for running and kids are in school! also been feeling very sluggish and dont feel like i can go fast at all. no pep. not sure if it's partly due to so many shuffling miles or dehydrated or my body just needs a break. it's ok though...i think...for the hundred i probably dont need it right now

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

berylrunner

Rick

Congrats to the racers.  I hope to get to those race reports.  Nice training being reported.

I am behind posting again.

A binge training week for me.  Like trying to cram for a final exam.

81 miles.  Started the week with a rugged 25 mile mountain run/hike, 5800 gain.  Finished with a 19 mile heat run.  Dehydrated myself on both runs.

Also wanted to report on the no booze experiment.  I feel great and have noticed improved recovery.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

berylrunner

Rick

TMH, Nooky thanks for the reports! midwest sounds painful in the summer!

thinking about my last race at WR and how my quads weren't ready. trying to fix that by focusing more on downhills but i dont know what else to do at this point. 3.5 weeks out now. vying for one more big miles week this week then taper, but i havent gotten anything really long in just because i cant find a big enough time block so i am doing something else b2b2b mlr's or b2b2b2b last weekend (2 of those in one day) all slow. that's a problem with summer training & DD out of school. i remember reading in Morelock's book about he likes to take it easy in winter time...but that's when the weather is nice for running and kids are in school! also been feeling very sluggish and dont feel like i can go fast at all. no pep. not sure if it's partly due to so many shuffling miles or dehydrated or my body just needs a break. it's ok though...i think...for the hundred i probably dont need it right now

Sorry about your loss.

Your plan sounds good.  Similar to mine because of a busy schedule.  I have been doing a lot of shorter miles because of the lack of time for a long run.  One thing I would suggest is working on your walking to running transitions.  Walk, slow acceleration to a run, fast run, decelerate to a brief walk, repeat.  Also, fast walk, "walk with a purpose".  Practice this to avoid the trap of the 100 mile shuffle.  Taper is a good time to work on some speed.  Less volume will give you some spring in your step.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Treadmill: Oh, that journey to your late start sounds like total hell.  Good for you for getting past that and running for a while.  I might just give up.  I always attribute weird stuff happening on hot days to heat effects.  I don't know that you have to think a lot more on it - you know to slow down and in an elimination race there is unfortunately a limit on how much you can slow down.  It's a recipe for failure.  The lesson might be to avoid that kind of race if the weather has a decent chance of being warm.

My DW and I have done a couple long trail runs at Mt. Rainier in the past month.  The trails there are gorgeous.  Highly recommended for anyone who is traveling that way.  Our loop yesterday was 32 miles - on the PCT section we saw hordes of people but on the lovely 12 miles at the end we saw exactly 1 person, and we were the only people she'd seen also.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Sorry about your loss.

Your plan sounds good.  Similar to mine because of a busy schedule.  I have been doing a lot of shorter miles because of the lack of time for a long run.  One thing I would suggest is working on your walking to running transitions.  Walk, slow acceleration to a run, fast run, decelerate to a brief walk, repeat.  Also, fast walk, "walk with a purpose".  Practice this to avoid the trap of the 100 mile shuffle.  Taper is a good time to work on some speed.  Less volume will give you some spring in your step.

thanks, sounds like something worth focusing on! i always do some brisk walking & hiking, at least a little bit. ive got a pretty good uphill hike but when i am fatigued, esp in the hips & knees the most painful part are those transitions. looking at ultrasignup there is another race in az i really want to do because i think i could do well is the crown king scramble. thinking about trying for black canyon again though b/c my cousin is running.

Seamax, i liked Tim T.'s pre-utmb interview on irunfar. he mentions why European runners like to train here...you can get away from people. Walmsley trained for weeks from a remote campsite up high in Colorado. that would be fun to do with a group of runners. set up a camp up in the mountains somewhere and bring everything you need for a couple of weeks and just train!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.