Ultra Runners

March 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 29 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Two down, ten to go, hopefully with better weather.

Tapering, six days to go til Delano Park 12-hour.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I think Funky has a race today. Something shorter, IIRC?  Hope it went well!

I finished Feb with190.8 miles,16,500’ vert.  Not a big mileage week this week, extra rest day. Doing back to back fast-ish (for me) runs yesterday (2 hrs) and today (1:30).

March already!  One 50k on the calendar this month, in a a couple weeks.  2 months until the next goal race, Miwok.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

nOOky

47.22 for the week with 1,965 feet of gain. I had one garbage run in there that I had to quit and cut short because I got some sort of stomach bug. After two days of emptying myself out I felt better and finished with a decent week, although slow.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

46.3M 3612' vert for me this week. ran my first road race in years today. hot chocolate 15k. scored 1:06:25. 1:10 was my A goal so ya this is good! 2nd AG out of 84 (overall 85th out of 4524). 1st in my AG was Jasen Emmons at 58:31..holy crap! feel good after but wont know if im hurt until i try to run again. race felt like i got it dialed in just right with a small negative split and flagging with about 800 meters to go so i didnt lose form or have to hang on too long. iow dont feel like i had much more in the tank. credit goes to consistent bodyweight leg days! anyway i know this is the ultra training thread but maybe it can be good to build back up this way or at least run kinda fast sometimes. at least for a tweezer

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Just a dude.

So, I guess I'm going to jump in here...

I'm turning 50 years old in May, so why not go and run a 50 miler right? :-)

63.7 miles for the week, about 4500 elevation. Long run of about 21.4 in the snow today...

February had a total of 230 miles, and included 2 runs over 20 miles.

Just trying to keep losing weight and figure out how to run far.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

berylrunner

Rick

27 miles for the week.  Started out really easy and then by the end of the week I did a fartlek  and a tempo  Hip is still bugging but not too bad.  I started an increasing K challenge.   Add a k every day.  Tomorrow will be day 10.

FNKYHD - Nice race.  You have some wheels.

Kelly.  Similar boat.  I turn 49 in May.  No idea on weight loss.  Been trying and no luck.  As for running far, try this.  Run .4, walk  .1.  Repeat.   You can do a 30 tomorrow.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

Pain is my friend

Finished last week with 68 miles and 5400 ft vert.  Was a good week.  Got in some good speed work.

Last month was a great building month. 263 miles and 19K vert.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

drock69

53 miles with 7641' of elevation gain, best week so far this year. 21 miler yesterday with over 5000' of gain. Had a bit of snow, sun, fog, really nice day. February was 160mi  with 14,566' of gain. Hopefully March will be better. Chuckanut 50k in less than 3 weeks

FunkyHd - nice race! I think that's faster than I've ever run 15k

Kelly - turned 50 last year, ran my first 100 miler. You'll do great at 50 miles, nice week

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

nOOky

46.3M 3612' vert for me this week. ran my first road race in years today. hot chocolate 15k. scored 1:06:25. 1:10 was my A goal so ya this is good! 2nd AG out of 84 (overall 85th out of 4524). 1st in my AG was Jasen Emmons at 58:31..holy crap! feel good after but wont know if im hurt until i try to run again. race felt like i got it dialed in just right with a small negative split and flagging with about 800 meters to go so i didnt lose form or have to hang on too long. iow dont feel like i had much more in the tank. credit goes to consistent bodyweight leg days! anyway i know this is the ultra training thread but maybe it can be good to build back up this way or at least run kinda fast sometimes. at least for a tweezer

Nice time, I heard Seattle had some hills in it to boot. My fastest 15k is like 1:12 but I only ran one in my life lol. A friend was the first female. She may help pace me at Mountain lakes 100 in Sept. so she can see what a hundo is like.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

skim1124

Running to eat

Since we all seem to be revealing our ages, I'm 51.  I also came late to ultras running my first one at age 48.

Ran only 16 miles last week due to some sort of a throat infection.  Now on antibiotics and feeling better and hoping to do 46 miles this week.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Nice time, I heard Seattle had some hills in it to boot. My fastest 15k is like 1:12 but I only ran one in my life lol. A friend was the first female. She may help pace me at Mountain lakes 100 in Sept. so she can see what a hundo is like.

thanks! i think there was about 650' vert in the 15k a definite bonus for me. i passed a lot more ppl on the climbs that they got me back on the downs. interested in 10 mile distance ever since i heard about Falmouth. felt perfect like maybe my best economy in that gear just cant hold on longer than 10M...but i'm lagging at ultras these days. will keep on though. if my speed holds together  maybe speed up just a bit for a 10k. this summer will be fun with some sub-marathon trail events. congrats to your friend! i see her name there 1:01:52. glad she is not in my division Smile. glad to hear you got into ML. that's my one DNF but the first 26 miles are amazing and the rest will easy peasy for you

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

WTF over? Anyone else get this email from UTMB?

Hello Jay WNUK,

In 2020, as in 2019, you have not been selected in the lottery. You have therefore earned direct entry without having to go through the lottery in 2021: you will have the chance to register for the same race you have applied for in 2019 & 2020 if you have the required qualifying points. To benefit from this special condition, it is mandatory to: • register between January 5th and January...

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Cowtown was about 20* warmer than I've run in since Dallas (which was 20* warmer than anything months previous) and quite windy and I completely failed to accommodate for those conditions. The marathon distance goal ended up out of reach by mile 20, so I ran/walked the rest of the marathon distance in. Skipped the extra out-and-back for the 50k as I also failed to plan for the race taking longer than I thought and possibly missing checkout at the hotel.

Next Friday I'm still strongly thinking about running a 50k (back country, gravel/dirt roads). Zero time goal, just wanting to get out there and have fun while finishing strong.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

WCR, good luck tomorrow! hope the forecast holds.

Commander, sorry about missing your goal. heat is so much harder to mitigate than cool weather!

dang my training is about to take a huge hit with a new job starting Monday. unemployment was nice while it lasted. im starting to think of it like: ok i built it up to where i want it do i really need these mini cycles between races or is there a way i can just maintain? ppl like Mr Coury and i think also Van Phan afaik dont train much in a regular sort of way. but anyway i dropped from the Fatass at Hansville so i dont take someone else's spot that was more ready than me. Two weeks to Chuckanut. Might as well focus on my new job and consider this a long long taper. Still recovering from the 15k in my calves so a LR this weekend might be a bad idea. ya the hay is in the barn i guess but how long will that hay last? a whole season? through the summer?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

No but hope that... doesn’t mean you had to register in Jan this year which of course has past. If not then sounds like your in.

WTF over? Anyone else get this email from UTMB?

Hello Jay WNUK,

In 2020, as in 2019, you have not been selected in the lottery. You have therefore earned direct entry without having to go through the lottery in 2021: you will have the chance to register for the same race you have applied for in 2019 & 2020 if you have the required qualifying points. To benefit from this special condition, it is mandatory to: • register between January 5th and January...

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block