Ultra Runners

March 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 29 times)

Pain is my friend

On top of Frary Peak 6,596 ft looking across the Great Salt Lake at the Wasatch mountains.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew, where did you see that Miwok was cancelled?  I’ve no doubt that’s coming, but I haven’t seen any official announcements.

https://mybestruns.com/rn4602.html

I should start training for TRT 50 miler at this point if it was a marathon. This would include running more trails and getting around 1,000 ft of gain per day. I don't feel like running. I'm going to die on TRT if I don't start getting serious and at this point I'm considering a DNS

http://squamish50.com/

squamish is canceled. The race is in AUGUST and they canceled. I think this is bullshit. The race is 5 months away and they already decided it needs to be canceled even if COVID-19 goes away in April and becomes something we talk about as the dark period of indoor only time. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

68.5 miles this week with about 4500 elevation and a 26 mile long run. My first time ever running that far.

We've had lots of snow lately so it's hard to find good places to run off the roads. Today had 6 miles of mud... But I guess mud is better than a treadmill... /shrug

-Kelly

IF you're on social media the Tahoe Mountain Milers has a bingo game. Pretty fun and they had a 26.2 mile run as a square. I bet you'd shock EVERYONE by marking it off. Where did you run that far? Spooner lake? Laps from one Home Depot to the next?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

A touch over 57 miles, all easy. 15 for a LR.

Still not getting up early enough in the morning to get in much more than 7 prior to work, so I might start adding in some short doubles. Perhaps a workout this week, but it seems SO long since I've done any speedwork.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Just a dude.

IF you're on social media the Tahoe Mountain Milers has a bingo game. Pretty fun and they had a 26.2 mile run as a square. I bet you'd shock EVERYONE by marking it off. Where did you run that far? Spooner lake? Laps from one Home Depot to the next?

Already submitted to them.

I started at the end of the pavement on Johnson Lane and kept going east. First 10 miles were good, next three were really muddy. Then turned around and came back. Only about 3100 feet of elevation gain, but I was looking for long more than up. My longest run ever.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

, what effect that might have on running outdoors.

with everyone shaming each other  who knows? glasshouses we live in no?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

with everyone shaming each other  who knows? glasshouses we live in no?

I'm expecting a lot of nasty looks and maybe even comments.  I have a chronic cough, had it for several years, that seems to be allergy related.  Of course no one I come in contact with will know that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Already submitted to them.

I started at the end of the pavement on Johnson Lane and kept going east. First 10 miles were good, next three were really muddy. Then turned around and came back. Only about 3100 feet of elevation gain, but I was looking for long more than up. My longest run ever.

-Kelly

awesome. I find it ironic I'm now stuck where you work, you're stuck where I work, and we still haven't gone for a run. I am scheduled to be down there twice a week. I'm actually going so crazy I'm thinking of running trails. It's just hard to consider going somewhere else when I can get 1,500+ ft vertical on a run from my house. It's entirely uphill to the turn around point....but it's right there outside my front door.

It must be the whole "work from home thing" making me lose interest in training. Maybe it is the cancelation of all races coming up. I just lack motivation to train and not die. Even the races in town that AREN'T canceled I'm thinking "eh, they are just going to get canceled because of social pressures. It's just going to be next week." Plus the weather isn't that great.

VDOT 53.37 

RWD

Hey Brewing Runner, what do you mean by "3:56 marathoner at heart?"

Pain is my friend

Looking for an Ultra to run? How about the quarantine Backyard Ultra

Quarantine Backyard Ultra

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey Brewing Runner, what do you mean by "3:56 marathoner at heart?"

My first marathon was a 3:56. I went out at 3:30 pace based off some training and ended up walking and struggling to the finish. I respected the sub 4 marathon for life after that moment and now that I've run sub 3 I don't consider myself any better than someone who finishes a marathon. I actually almost respect the slower runners more due to the struggle they go through.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Tempting. I assume you're doing it so I'll sit this one out. I'd end up doing something REALLY stupid like staying up all night long coming in and out of the house keeping the whole family awake. Plus I'm not sure what the weather is and doing the run inside the house might actually qualify me for the looney bin. I'd LOVE to be the "nobody" who impresses people and end up on some podcast. I'm just not that great of a speaker meaning I'm kind of "that guy" who says things you're not supposed to. Also not athletically gifted like the elite field.

And this guy is who I pick to shock the most people when he drops.

Pete Kostelnik

VDOT 53.37 

Just a dude.

awesome. I find it ironic I'm now stuck where you work, you're stuck where I work, and we still haven't gone for a run. I am scheduled to be down there twice a week. I'm actually going so crazy I'm thinking of running trails. It's just hard to consider going somewhere else when I can get 1,500+ ft vertical on a run from my house. It's entirely uphill to the turn around point....but it's right there outside my front door.

It must be the whole "work from home thing" making me lose interest in training. Maybe it is the cancelation of all races coming up. I just lack motivation to train and not die. Even the races in town that AREN'T canceled I'm thinking "eh, they are just going to get canceled because of social pressures. It's just going to be next week." Plus the weather isn't that great.

We'll just have to find a day. I am not stuck in Carson right now. I'm "essential" so I'm still commuting to Reno every day.

I empathize with the Everything is Cancelled Why Bother idea. They haven't cancelled Bishop on May 30 yet, so I'm still holding on to that ray of light... I'm sure it will be extinguished soon enough... 

PM me and we'll find a time to run together. I'm slowly getting faster, so maybe in another month or two I won't be a huge burden anymore... ;-)

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Pain is my friend

I am not running the Quarantine ultra. Not the right time for me. I running the Salt Flats 50 May 1st. They haven’t canceled it and so far they don’t plan to. The race is very remote.

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

i was looking all over the page to find out how frequent is the bell and thought it was maybe a secret. something i guess i should have known 

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24