Beginners and Beyond

SUNDAILIES Are Bringing the Noise (Read 51 times)

Just B.S.

random question....how long have all of you been running before you ran your first half?

3 years, I was supposed to do one after 2 years but was injured. Since there was only one here then

I had to wait an entire year to try again.

This summer I will be running the same half in August for my 10th anniversary of my 1st half. It will be

my 9th time doing that particular one. One summer we were away on the date so we missed it.

It was an awesome day. I was 41 and it was slow, 2:13 but it's a very hill course. I had never run or trained with

anyone ever and met a girl the day before at the expo, she was from away and we happened to meet at the

start line and ran the entire thing together until the last mile. She was tiring and I wasn't so she told me to go for it.

Hilary, another amazing run.

SIAR, great job finishing the seven on the hamster wheel. Enjoy the yumminess.

FreeSoul87, I'm happy that your run went well.

Congratulations on PRing, AprilRunner!

Damn, Lily, twenty miles at 7:56 without fueling, drinking, or peeing? Wow!

Rick, bravo for running ten miles in such conditions.

DaveP MI, wonderful job fitting the run into your hectic day.

I'm on my way to the gym. I'm hoping that lifting will improve my mood. I had to deal with some unpleasantness that left me drained:/

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, Basya! Enjoy your sweat therapy. I hope it helps.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, I am going to try and respond to more than one person

LRB - I am trying to find sympathy but I hate you and am jealous Joking, that time is my time for 8 miles on good days, hell I wish I could run ten miles with a pace of 8:34 Cool

happlily - have I ever told you how much I admire you, I hope to see the day when I can log a run of 20 miles, at least once in a while.

Aprilrunner - that is awesome to hear

kristen10185 - for me.... ummmm about a year of real nonstop running, probably 2-3 years of getting some runs in during 3 mile walks. My first was October 2011 (13 weeks pregnant), no injuries there and my 2nd was October 2012 (about 6 months post pregnant) I did injure myself from training while my body was still recovering from 10 months of pregnancy and giving birth. THIS YEAR, I plan and hope for 4 half marathons with no injury or at least nothing to sideline me.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

random question....how long have all of you been running before you ran your first half?

This question led to a 10 page thread at that other place ha-ha!

Four months for me but I did it all wrong.  Like a 16 year old boy in a brothel, I was trying to run everything I could that first year!

I am happy to report that I am much more mellow now.  Wink

Ball of Fury

Hi Dailies!  I have decided that since our new training plan started today,  I am going to be more diligent about posting here...hold myself accountable and all that.  We are doing a Hanson HM plan and started today at week 14 (first few weeks are just easy running/base building). Haven't run much since the marathon on Jan 13, so hopefully we can handle the new plan.  Anyway, today was our "long run" of 6 miles.  One thing I like about Hanson is you don't do the long run super slow, which is nice because I have a hard time running them really slowly anyway.  6 miles done @ 9:05/mile.  Felt good to run again!

April:  Congrats on the pr and meeting your A goal!

Kristin:  I essentially started running to train for a HM, so obviously did it all backwards!

Phil:  Hope your surgery goes well this week!

Everyone else:  Great job on the runs and getting out there and getting it done!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

April, congratulations on meeting your "A" goal in the 10K!

9.3 miles today on the Riverwalk. It took a little creative redundancy to get that distance since a few parts of the trail were closed. I think they closed the icy parts, but since it's 52 degrees and sunny (and windy), all the ice is gone. They just need to get someone out there to remove the "trail closed" signs and caution tape.

Pace was good, 9:11 overall, very consistent with about an 8:43 for the last 0.3 miles.

There are a couple of parts of the riverwalk that are still under water. River's high and it's taking a great deal of spilling at the dams to control it to that level. Spilling water, unfortunately, wastes energy because water that could go through the generator turbines is being spilled through the spill gates instead. The volume of water coming down the river is too great for the generators, thus whatever amount is beyond the capacity of the generator penstocks is spilled over the dam instead.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

April, great run.

Temps still cold at 26F but very little wind so it wasn't too bad on my 8.3 mile run.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

LRB - I am trying to find sympathy but I hate you and am jealous Joking, that time is my time for 8 miles on good days, hell I wish I could run ten miles with a pace of 8:34 Cool

Not unlike the real world where someone might have blonde hair, blue eyes, long legs, have a muscular build or are tall.  We cannot control what we don't have, all we can do is improve upon what we do have.

Similarly, in the running world we are who we are, all we can do is try to be the best that we can be.

There are some super fast runners who post here, both fast now and who once were. By sharing their race strategies and training ideals, we can all apply some of what they do to help us reach our potential.

There are also runners who are not so fast who share their training ideals and thus, the faster runners may learn something from them as well.

Every single person who posts in the dailies would like to run faster, faster as it applies to them.  If you stick around and pay attention, you will learn how to do just that, as it applies to you.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

did you ever do a RR for your Disney marathon, Ami?

Hi Dailies!  I have decided that since our new training plan started today,  I am going to be more diligent about posting here...hold myself accountable and all that.  We are doing a Hanson HM plan and started today at week 14 (first few weeks are just easy running/base building). Haven't run much since the marathon on Jan 13, so hopefully we can handle the new plan.  Anyway, today was our "long run" of 6 miles.  One thing I like about Hanson is you don't do the long run super slow, which is nice because I have a hard time running them really slowly anyway.  6 miles done @ 9:05/mile.  Felt good to run again!

April:  Congrats on the pr and meeting your A goal!

Kristin:  I essentially started running to train for a HM, so obviously did it all backwards!

Phil:  Hope your surgery goes well this week!

Everyone else:  Great job on the runs and getting out there and getting it done!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

runmomto3boys

AmyK: welcome back!!!

Kristin: I haven't done one yet and I've been running for 11 months now.

Beth: Ohhh, I SO know the sort of runs you are describing that you had today.  Hilarious.  You put it into words better than I ever could have though.  Isn't it amazing, the spectrum of emotion, though???

YAYpril - B-Plus

Not unlike the real world where someone might have blonde hair, blue eyes, long legs, have a muscular build or are tall.  We cannot control what we don't have, all we can do is improve upon what we do have.

Similarly, in the running world we are who we are, all we can do is try to be the best that we can be.

There are some super fast runners who post here, both fast now and who once were. By sharing their race strategies and training ideals, we can all apply some of what they do to help us reach our potential.

There are also runners who are not so fast who share their training ideals and thus, the faster runners may learn something from them as well.

Every single person who posts in the dailies would like to run faster, faster as it applies to them.  If you stick around and pay attention, you will learn how to do just that, as it applies to you.

This is exactly right. My 10k pace today was about 9:17, which is slower than recovery pace for some. However, it was my 5k race pace from December 2011 and my 4-mile race pace from April 2012. I am damn proud of the race I ran today and I will NEVER feel inadequate compared to others. Because the reality is, my race times show that *I* am getting faster and that is all I care about.

Ball of Fury

Kristin:  I haven't and I know I should....I just haven't been able to re-live the misery yet!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congratulations on the new PR!

Hi! I had a 10k race this morning. It snowed overnight (only about an inch) and the roads were a mess, plus it's a very hilly course so it sucks even in good conditions. RD said it wasn't a day to PR. Big grin

A goal: 58:00 (my PR is 1:00:11 from a very humid 10k on Labor Day)

B goal: Under an hour

C goal: Run as fast as I can without falling

Garmin time was 57:32. I am over the MOON.

Damaris

Just B.S.

This is exactly right. My 10k pace today was about 9:17, which is slower than recovery pace for some. However, it was my 5k race pace from December 2011 and my 4-mile race pace from April 2012. I am damn proud of the race I ran today and I will NEVER feel inadequate compared to others. Because the reality is, my race times show that *I* am getting faster and that is all I care about.

That is the right attitude April!!

My long distance PR's from Sept/Oct, age 50 are 1:57 half, 4:20 full.   Might be fast to some, probably not.

However my hubby and most of my friends BQ on a regular basis, a 3:40 marathon is slow to them so

and I am definitely the very slow one in  the group. None of them has ever made me feel that my efforts are less

worthy than thiers. Some of them, including hubby,  were waiting for me at the finish line of my 4:20 PR marathon

in Sept. They made me feel like a rock star even though they had finished long long before me.

As long as we do what we can, with what we have, give our best then we have every right to be proud of our efforts.