50 MPW is too many??? (Read 1225 times)

Menace to Sobriety

She said the human body is not made to run 50 mpw week in and week out. She told me that 25 is the correct number. I should only do 50 when I'm training for a race. Her statement was, "If you do 50 miles week after week, you will get runners knee and other injuries." I'll appreciate any responses, constructive or otherwise.
    Maybe she meant YOUR body wasn't meant to run 50 mpw. File this in the "otherwise" category, as in smart ass. Cool If you're not constantly hurt, I wouldn't worry about it.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

He needs to run more Winter trail races in deep snow without snowshoes. Evil grin
      Those sorts of things can be fun...certainly good for you if you plan on napping all afternoon...

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Her statement was, "If you do 50 miles week after week, you will get runners knee and other injuries." I have been running 45 - 50 miles every week for about 2 1/2 years except when I have an injury. What do you think? Is 50 mpw too many to do regularly?
        The guy in this thread had problems on 35 mpw but ran everyday until he was 72. Different folks? Take time off to recover and more easy days.
        And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Old, Slow, Happy

Have you decided who's right and who's wrong yet? Inquiring minds need to know.
          O.K. Here's my decision and I'm sticking with it (maybe). Thanks to everyone's input, I have decided that 50 miles per week is not too much for me. This is disregarding the smartass that said maybe the clerk meant just for my body. I am not running this week. It will be a busy week and maybe my runners knee will heal. After this week I intend to regain my ability to run 50 miles per week, week in and week out. After I get back to a regular 50 miles per week, I will begin a real training program intended to prepare me to run a marathon. I will complete this training and my first marathon. In the course of the next 2 years, I will train and run several marathons. In one of these I will qualify for Boston. That is pretty far-fetched since I am a relatively slow runner. I will run Boston and wave at the camera so that the store clerk can see me. I will continue my running, at 50 miles per week, until I die. When I am dead, I will be buried in the cemetery in Pettisville, Ohio. On my tombstone it will say, "Richard Nyce-The INHUMAN body who could run 50 miles per week, week in and week out." People will come from far and wide to pay their respects to the man who could do 50 mpw. Does anyone need directions? You all are great!!! Thanks for all the comments and help!!!

Menace to Sobriety

Good luck!! (Hope you know I was just kiddin')

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Old, Slow, Happy

Good luck!! (Hope you know I was just kiddin')
              Thanks for the good wishes. Of course I know. You're one of us 50 guys. Wait until you get really old like me.
                I think she might be right. I'd heard that Meb and Ryan Hall only run 25 mpw.
                  O.K. Here's my decision and I'm sticking with it (maybe). Thanks to everyone's input, I have decided that 50 miles per week is not too much for me. This is disregarding the smartass that said maybe the clerk meant just for my body. I am not running this week. It will be a busy week and maybe my runners knee will heal. After this week I intend to regain my ability to run 50 miles per week, week in and week out. After I get back to a regular 50 miles per week, I will begin a real training program intended to prepare me to run a marathon. I will complete this training and my first marathon. In the course of the next 2 years, I will train and run several marathons. In one of these I will qualify for Boston. That is pretty far-fetched since I am a relatively slow runner. I will run Boston and wave at the camera so that the store clerk can see me. I will continue my running, at 50 miles per week, until I die. When I am dead, I will be buried in the cemetery in Pettisville, Ohio. On my tombstone it will say, "Richard Nyce-The INHUMAN body who could run 50 miles per week, week in and week out." People will come from far and wide to pay their respects to the man who could do 50 mpw. Does anyone need directions? You all are great!!! Thanks for all the comments and help!!!
                  WOW Richard...this is great....I'm getting all fired up and now I want to go out for a run......I'm going to go for 50 MPW now Smile Big grin Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

I think it's really impressive that someone who weighed 295 lbs, wasn't a runner four years ago and is now 55 can run 50 mpw regularly. You don't see that too often.
                      Heck, 50 miles isn't even too much for one run...

Mr. Muscle

I agree 50 mpw is NOT too much. However, having lost weight like this myself combined with being a new runner, this is about the time overuse injuries will creep in. Others can run this far since they've trained longer than we have. But remember, we are still relatively new to this. Our bodies are not totally adapted to running like others who have slowly built themselves up. Running a marathon is a great goal. It is something that I'm proud of...4 times. Go for it, cautiously.
                          I don't think you can make a blanket statement on what is "the correct number" for the human body. I don't think milage is a one size fits all proposition. For this reason I have to disagree with the clerk.
                          I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

Old, Slow, Happy

I agree 50 mpw is NOT too much. However, having lost weight like this myself combined with being a new runner, this is about the time overuse injuries will creep in. Others can run this far since they've trained longer than we have. But remember, we are still relatively new to this. Our bodies are not totally adapted to running like others who have slowly built themselves up. Running a marathon is a great goal. It is something that I'm proud of...4 times. Go for it, cautiously.
                            Thank-you son!!! See you Thursday at Thanksgiving,
                            Purdey

Self anointed title

I think she might be right. I'd heard that Meb and Ryan Hall only run 25 mpw km/hr.
                              Fixed.