I could've killed that little punk with the skateboard.... (Read 974 times)

So I was out for an easy run today and basically towards the end of it I was running through a small condo neighborhood. There was this punk little brat (you know, the kind with the jeans tighter than a woman's, long circus -like hair scrambling out from under his hat, all in black, maybe a chain or two hanging from the waistband, and carrying a skateboard) He was busy chugging the last of his bottled drink when I was approaching him from behind. I moved to the other side of the road because I felt awkward, and just as I was coming up equal to him, he finished the drink and proceeded to just throw it to the side of the road. Shocked Then he heard me coming, we locked eyes for a moment and I started to disapprovingly shake my head at him littering. However, even though I was cursing him in my head, and telling myself to do something about it, I didn't. I dont know why, I just didnt, and now I am mad at myself No My husband is famous for yelling out "Excuse me, you seemed to have dropped something." to people who litter, which eventhough may come across as a little bit D***-ish, the point still gets across. So I was wanting to do that to the kid SOOO badly, but again I didnt. Then, I wanted to turn around while I was still in his line of view and go back and pick up his bottle and throw it away myself so he could see me, but again I didnt. Basically, I CAN"T STAND people who litter, it is TOTALLY unnecessary. The next time I go back that way, I will find that bottle and throw it out properly (just to make myself feel better). Anyone else ever see anything like this and actually do something about it? Hope I didnt come across as a total environment freak. I'm only a little bit of a freak about it Blush

Big Chicken!

I am the same as you, enviro-freaky. My kids tattle on the other kids at school who don't throw all their trash away. They run out to pick up litter. They don't get embarrassed when I say the same thing your DH does when I see a litterer. I love saying "You dropped something!" Most people, I think, feel embarrassed when I do it because they thought no one saw them. Or no one would care. Everyone who comes into my house makes comments about the recycling that goes on. (DH and I are VERY green people.) Everyone on base knows not to let the C family catch thme trashing the planet or we may force them to read my textbooks and peer-reviewed journals and all the research in them. It's hard for us because we are a military family and you know most othrs with us are moreconservative and think we've been brainwashed. Next time this happens, find your DH's voice in you and tell the little punks!! I got your back!! Cool
      Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

Beatin' on the Rock

It might be good that you didn't say anything; it's one thing for a grown man to tell a punk off, but a lone lady ... I think you did the right thing. He'll get what's coming to him somehow. (When that kid comes looking for a job, you'll remember. Black eye ) What gets me is cigarette butts. They're prolific along some curb lines. It's disgusting. People throw them out of cars during dry season - I wish so bad for the ability to throw them back at them! Our county recently banned smoking on public beaches - Yeah! I remember when my older daughter was about 9 months old, playing in the sand - she dug up a butt and put it to her mouth... GRRR!
        Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have the impression that many smokers litter habitually (tossing their smoking refuse on the ground all over the place), and that that is how they learn (were trained) to smoke, so it is an ongoing cultural training. Maybe that is contributing.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

My legs are killing me

I'm not an evironmentalist by any means, probably more of a neat freak, but when people just throw garbage on the ground it really gets my irish up. Pigs! It makes you wonder how they were brought up and what their homes must look like. To me putting trash were it belongs is just being considerate of others.
            Carl A

Even when someone properly throws a container in the trash, it still ends up in the ground, only it's less visible and therefore bothers us less. I think that a better solution would be to work toward limiting our consumerism and reliance on disposable packaging. This is a lot more difficult than yelling at smokers and kids. Smoking kids, I'll concede, should be yelled at, though.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Freerunner

I agree with you! I can not stand when people litter. My 5 year old always says " Look Mom, Someone is RUDE, they threw their trash on the ground". I love it. What is the best is when she does it and they hear her! I find the person usually goes and picks up their trash then! I would be embarrassed if I heard a five year old say that about me. Big grin I think I taught her right! Big grin That is a close call on whether or not to say something to the kid ,just do to the fact that you don't know what that kid will do! Black eye
                  I had tried to run a couple of times over the years, and fell victim to wearing the wrong shoes and too much too soon. I walked for a couple of years, figuring (correctly) that it would help me prepare for running. I was living in Clinton MA at the time, which is a nice small town. My son played for a soccer team in Hudson, and the coach would have the kids pick up ten pieces of trash each at the end of every practice or game. He would always say "let's leave it a little better than we found it", and that got me thinking. Every time I walked, I would pick up trash on my way until I couldn't carry any more. Most days I would find a paper or plastic bag or two, so I could increase my carrying capacity. I'd dump it as I passed a can, and repeat. It was sad that I never lacked fresh trash to pick up, a single Dunkin Donuts alone can create enough refuse to blanket a small town. I'll be making a pilgrimage to Clinton on March 2nd, returning to the place my running started. The course for Stu's 30K goes around the Wachusett Reservoir, which is quite scenic. I'll be sure to pick up some trash before and/or after the race, and leave it a little better than I found it. Let everyone sweep in front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Why is it sideways?

Caution! bratty remark to follow: Littering sucks. But so does associating long haired kids who dress funny and ride skateboards in public places with garbage. There are plenty of "punk brats" who do much greater damage to the environment through the ordinary effects of their ordinary lives. signed, The Dirty Hippie

Hey, nice marmot!

Caution! bratty remark to follow: Littering sucks. But so does associating long haired kids who dress funny and ride skateboards in public places with garbage. There are plenty of "punk brats" who do much greater damage to the environment through the ordinary effects of their ordinary lives. signed, The Dirty Hippie
                      Interesting. I didn't think she was associating anybody with anything. She described the kid and his subsequent actions. I doubt that she expects every strange looking kid she comes across to litter. I think the point of describing the kid at all was to provide justification for her not confronting him about his actions. In my opinion, her inaction was justified. It's usually a bad idea for a lone, young woman to confront a teenage male child. It's not worth getting stabbed over an empty Powerade bottle. :O

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Why is it sideways?

It's usually a bad idea for a lone, young woman to confront a teenage male child. It's not worth getting stabbed over an empty Powerade bottle. :O
                        Continuation of brattiness to follow: Right. Because kids with skateboards dressed in black stab folks over an empty Powerade bottle. I dunno. I understand that she was "just describing." But it was a powerful description that raised my own different sort of indignation. Enough already. Or too much, already, from me. I'll go back in my hole and quit being so grouchy.
                        BaldMike

I agree, you probably did the right thing by not saying anything. Go back, pick it up for your own piece of mind and be done with it. What chaps my a*s about smokers is they don't want their stinky left over butts in there car, so they throw them out. How stupid is that? You smoke, you know the butts stink and you don't want them in the car, so toss them out. In my opinion, they should be ticketed just like someone seen tossing out a cup or anything else.
                          PR 10k - 47: 41 in 2007, goal to break 45 minuntes in 2008 PR 13.1 - 1:44:19 PR 26.2 - 4:24 in 2007, goal to break 3:45 in March 2008 Upcoming races: March 2008 - ING GA Marathon July 2008 - Peachtree Road Race And hopefully the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2008.
                          pitrunner

Argh!! That is one of my biggest pet peeves. Driving home everyday through the city I see people winging all kinds of crap out of their windows. It just blows my mind that people can be so short sighted and have such a lack of social conscious. I have stood up to a litterer only once - I used to mentor an "at risk" 8 year old girl at an inner city school. Some days I used to drive her and her siblings home after our program was finished. One day her sister tossed a cookie wrapper on the ground and I said (in a joking manner) "Hey! Pick that up, do you really want this city to be any filthier?" Her response to me was that she didn't want to junk up my car with it. That kinda impressed me but I was also baffled - a. she was being respectful of my property, but b. since when can you not hang on to a wrapper until you get home?? So there you have it - I have the courage to stand up to 8 year olds, but really no one else. In your case I probably would've done the same thing.

Hey, nice marmot!

Continuation of brattiness to follow: Right. Because kids with skateboards dressed in black stab folks over an empty Powerade bottle. I dunno. I understand that she was "just describing." But it was a powerful description that raised my own different sort of indignation. Enough already. Or too much, already, from me. I'll go back in my hole and quit being so grouchy.
                              Well, my point was that kids stab people over Powerade bottles (but never Gatorade, go figure). A lone, young woman confronting any teenage male child, regardless of his appearance, is probably a bad idea. Recall how "normal" most school shooters look. As far as any preconceived ideas of the punk kid based soley on his unusual appearance, isn't that what he's going for? If you choose an appearance that your society has deemed "unusual", do you have the right to dictate to others that they must view/treat you no differently? As a U.S. citizen, I have the right to dye my hair pink, cover my body with tatoos, and dress in a French maid outfit, however, the 5-star restaurant also has the right to treat me differently based on my elected appearance.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

kcam

I never confront people for littering though it ticks me off like you wouldn't believe. Picking up that bottle would have done a lot to put a doubt into that kid's mind about littering. As a runner, I know where trash cans are all along many of the routes I run. As I get close to them, I'll pick up trash along the way and toss it in. I love it when people see me doing this, doesn't embarrass me and maybe it will put the idea into other people's heads that it's not good to litter and it IS OK to pick up trash.