2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

DavePNW

What I'm reading is that you want to run in 2024 because it give you some time to save for the trip while also being soon enough that risk of you physically falling apart before race day is minimal.

Ha that seems about right.

Dave

DavePNW

Do you really need pizza, beers, McDonalds, ice cream, chocolate, cake etc during a marathoning training cycle

Yes.

Dave

Ah the old weight question again!  We are all just recreational runners on this thread and not getting paid to run, which means we could lose more pounds if we changed our diet and cut out all the carbs that are considered bad,

Do you really need pizza, beers, McDonalds, ice cream, chocolate, cake etc during a marathoning training cycle? 

In other news my new pup Tyson is celebrating 10 weeks today!  He’s a whippet and I’m hoping that one day he’ll be able to run as fast as me. ❤️

Congrats on the new rover! Very cute! He looks like he'll be a good runner. Since you're a boxing fan I need to ask: is he named after Tyson Fury?

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Do you really need pizza, beers, McDonalds, ice cream, chocolate, cake etc during a marathoning training cycle? 

Yes.

A quality Sunday involves smashing out a 2 hour long run then enjoying a suitable quantity of junk food on the couch.

I don't drink alcohol these days but if people want to enjoy a beer or whatever, more power to them.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Nice dog Mikkey  now if you can run as fast as him when hes an adult, then the sub 1 hour marathon barrier will be broken 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Congrats on the new rover! Very cute! He looks like he'll be a good runner. Since you're a boxing fan I need to ask: is he named after Tyson Fury?

Yes!  And I know it’s probably inappropriate to name a cute whippet after the heavyweight boxing champ of the world!   But his paws are already massive and think he’ll end up at about 15kg!

Piwi - Thanks!  Whippets are the second fastest dogs after greyhounds and can run up to 35mph!  I’ve never run with any of my dogs previously, but would love to with Tyson next year.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Resident Historian

Weight: I'm up there with Ian and Flavio. 6'2" (188cm) and right now 184 lb. (84 kg) (13 stone 2 lb). In training for a significant race, the weight will drop to ~177; perhaps this time I can go a little lower.

Mikkey: Nice pup! He will have trouble slowing down to any runner's pace -- you'll need to get faster (which isn't all bad!).

We've been in Madrid this week. Running here is a challenge in the heart of the city -- between oblivious pedestrians and traffic lights. I just head for one of the larger parks to run relatively continuously. I should be around 30 miles this week.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Good morning! I would like to join this forum. I could use some accountability for my training decisions, and it would also help me to be around people who are better at this than I am.

More later. I wanted to hit "send" on this before I chickened out   - that accountability thing. --Christine

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good morning! I would like to join this forum. I could use some accountability for my training decisions, and it would also help me to be around people who are better at this than I am.

More later. I wanted to hit "send" on this before I chickened out   - that accountability thing. --Christine

Well....hello and welcome!  Very good to see you here.

(for the rest of you, ch17 and I have known each other for years, and occasionally run a few miles together.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fishyone

Welcome CH17. Really glad to have you here.  I followed (lurked) the page for many, many years before I began participating started participating for the same reason, accountability. Funny how a group of internet friends can help provide that. What makes this place great is the variety of individuals, thoughts, methods etc. .....the more the merrier. 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

2024 for NYC? You guys are really going to stress me out, that means I need to get a qualifying time next year! Then again, running a 1:23 should be okay for me, even if I'm semi-retired!

Flavio - once per season is a bit undefined. I would say if you're running 5Ks/10Ks, that might be 4 times per year. For every other race, I would either not taper (for 5Ks especially) or do a very mini taper for 10Ks. I don't think you can do 10 day tapers every month if you're racing a lot.

Yes. 2024. I’ll be attempting to qualify at Boston.  2:58. I finally get my ‘age perk’ or whatever people call it.  I’ll be 39 right before Boston so I get to qualify at the 40 year old time which SHOULD be possible for me if my training goes well and the course helps me out.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

Well....hello and welcome!  Very good to see you here.

+1. Introduction please!

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

+1. Introduction please!

+1 to this entire post (so +2 and +1?)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Okay, then! Thanks for the nice welcome. Keeping it brief: have been running since 1988 (started in grad school; will hit 34 years in November), I like to run a lot (hoping to complete my 4th consecutive 3000-mi year this December), and I also like to race some, unless I flake out because I'm too tired.** Most important upcoming race is Boston 2023, though I'll probably run some random 5/10ks before.

Oh, and I like beer. The booze and waffles thread is my jam.

--Christine

**Too tired usually happens because of life-pile-on, as opposed to running.

Marky_Mark_17

ch17 - welcome!!

Me - work is in the bag now with Nelson HM next weekend.  Considering I only really had 5 decent weeks of training I feel like I've absolutely made the most of it.  Went from feeling like garbage and very out of shape to something like reasonable form.  Probably a good reminder that I was pretty overtrained around Aug/Sept... I feel better off 5 weeks of training than I think I've felt since Omaha HM in March.  No big goals for next weekend, just hoping for good weather and I'll go out there and enjoy it.

Weekly for period: From: 24/10/2022 To 30/10/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in m
                                24/10 That run where it normally rains on Labour Weekend 5.14 8.28 00:37:52 07:22 04:34 49
                                25/10 That run where there were so many runners out, it's obviously Auckland Marathon week 8.15 13.11 00:53:21 06:33 04:04 32
                                26/10 That run where all that time and money and roadworks was for a 700m cycleway?! 10.07 16.20 01:00:51 06:03 03:45 40
                                27/10 That run with home almost done well 10.57 17.01 01:13:45 06:59 04:20 28
                                29/10 That run with the most sweat in quite some time 8.11 13.05 00:48:06 05:56 03:41 81
                                30/10 That run where who among us can deny, we love a good fire?! 🔥 15.54 25.01 01:47:39 06:56 04:18 258

Total distance: 92.66km (57.59 imperial biscuit crumbs)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"