3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'm leaning toward nerve too, although somewhere I think that a muscle is going into spasm and pinching it or something.  It definitely does not feel like it is a circulatory issue.  There is no swelling and there is no tingling when feeling comes back (which does not take very long when I stop running).  It's definitely quad that goes because I can really tell when I run downhill.  I almost feel like my leg will give out if I am not careful.  Pushing off is OK, going uphill OK.  Below the knee, no problem.

I'm going to keep after it with massage.  And yes, it is pissing me off.

It's sort of a shitty feedback loop.  Something inflames the muscle...it pinches the nerve....the muscle goes numb....round and round you go.

I've described it before, my fix was to rip shit loose so I was running relaxed and it let the swelling go down aroung the nerve.  If I so much as thought about it...I tightened up and it came back.

You're light-years beyond where I ever got to though.

The nerve crap has true impact on muscles.  To use a local reference, look at Peyton Manning.  It's not that he's gotten soft and lost muscle tone, it's that the nerve issues he's having in his neck are reducing how hard he can fire his muscles and throw the football.

This getting old shit sucks.  I can't remember when my left foot didn't hurt.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

This getting old shit sucks.

Yep.  I don't think that is age that is directly affecting me.  I really think that most of my problems stem from years of working a desk job, sitting all day.  I think that has caused my muscles in the hip area to weaken and / or tighten.  I have run for most of my adult life but really never ran much more than 20 - 25 mpw until I was in my 40's.  I don't think that overtraining is an issue.  It's just the fact that it is hard to reverse the affects of almost 25 years of sitting at a desk job.  I'm going to keep trying though.

I have decided to stop going to the chiropractor.  I think that he helped some (but is not the cure).  It was getting to be a hassle getting there frequently enough to make it worth while and insurance doesn't cover much of the cost.  As an alternative I order the Sacro Wedgy and will give that a try.  I figure it is the cost of one chiro visit and I'll be able to use it every day, so why not?

I haven't given up.  I would like to race one more marathon if I can but if I can't train for one this year I won't bother.  Worst case I just cut back on mileage a bit and focus on shorter races.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm leaning toward nerve too, although somewhere I think that a muscle is going into spasm and pinching it or something.  It definitely does not feel like it is a circulatory issue.  There is no swelling and there is no tingling when feeling comes back (which does not take very long when I stop running).  It's definitely quad that goes because I can really tell when I run downhill.  I almost feel like my leg will give out if I am not careful.  Pushing off is OK, going uphill OK.  Below the knee, no problem.

I'm going to keep after it with massage.  And yes, it is pissing me off.

Have you tried nerve mobility exercises or the exercises that Jeff posted?

Jeff:

This guy is from Nashville, and he's got a bunch of good videos demonstrating exercises that would help runners with glute/core issues.

http://www.therenkenscenter.com/videos.php

Andrew Bumbalough uses him when he is in town...

steph  

Prince of Fatness

Have you tried nerve mobility exercises or the exercises that Jeff posted?

I remember him posting some videos but do not recall seeing that whole list.  I'll take a look through them.  I have a routine that I do once a week that I should do a little more often.  Most of the stuff I do are exercises to strengthen the glutes, hamstrings, abs, and back.  I also try to get off of my rear end and walk for a half hour during lunch.  Anything to avoid sitting.  Sitting is my worst enemy, I think.

Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Hey, PH, I"m sure you've looked at piriformis syndrome already?  You mentioned ruling out sciatica because the phenomenon was limited to the upper leg and didn't extend to the lower leg or foot.  My experience with a chronically herniating disc in my neck, as well as the same experience of a friend with the same (but much worse version of the) affliction,was that nerve involvement doesn't necessarily mean you'll have symptoms all along the nerve path.  Mine manifested in the neck, shoulder, and upper arm, rarely going past my elbow even on the worse flare-ups.  My friend's did reach his hand, but his was also bad enough to require surgery and vertebral fusion.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Yep.  I don't think that is age that is directly affecting me.  I really think that most of my problems stem from years of working a desk job, sitting all day.  I think that has caused my muscles in the hip area to weaken and / or tighten. 

Big +1.  While I've worked desk jobs since 2007, this position that I've been in about 11 months now has been the first one that really required me to sit in a chair continuously for hours on end.  For my prior ones, I was in and out of my cube very frequently for meetings and other things.  Now I spend a LOT of time on my computer working with data analysis, and if I do not actively force myself to get up and move around I can be here half a day without getting up.  That happened the other day when I got busy and boy was I tight when I finally got up. 

So I try to make myself get up and move some every 15-30min, which helps at least a bit.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I remember him posting some videos but do not recall seeing that whole list.  I'll take a look through them.  I have a routine that I do once a week that I should do a little more often.  Most of the stuff I do are exercises to strengthen the glutes, hamstrings, abs, and back.  I also try to get off of my rear end and walk for a half hour during lunch.  Anything to avoid sitting.  Sitting is my worst enemy, I think.

Thanks.

I think that sitting too much has caused some of my  glute / hamstring issues also.

And I have no excuse for sitting as much as I do.  My own fault - need to stay off computer so much!

But I also think that I have nerve issues in left leg.   Or maybe I'm just getting old as Spaniel said.

steph  

Yep.  I don't think that is age that is directly affecting me.  I really think that most of my problems stem from years of working a desk job, sitting all day.  I think that has caused my muscles in the hip area to weaken and / or tighten.  I have run for most of my adult life but really never ran much more than 20 - 25 mpw until I was in my 40's.  I don't think that overtraining is an issue.  It's just the fact that it is hard to reverse the affects of almost 25 years of sitting at a desk job.  I'm going to keep trying though.

I have decided to stop going to the chiropractor.  I think that he helped some (but is not the cure).  It was getting to be a hassle getting there frequently enough to make it worth while and insurance doesn't cover much of the cost.  As an alternative I order the Sacro Wedgy and will give that a try.  I figure it is the cost of one chiro visit and I'll be able to use it every day, so why not?

I haven't given up.  I would like to race one more marathon if I can but if I can't train for one this year I won't bother.  Worst case I just cut back on mileage a bit and focus on shorter races.

Ughhh sorry to hear that it's back Sad

This race next month ought to be interesting to say the least (if it happens)  I'm stopped in my tracks right now. I've gained about 10 lbs of water weight and it keeps going up each day. Starting to wonder about my cough cause it came on after the water retention started (been about a week now) I didn't run yesterday and the only time I had any coughing was when I lifted weights. I feel like some one pumped me up with IV after IV of water. Got that cold weird feeling all throughout my body and my stomach hurts like freaken mad. I'm turning into a big baby!! My husband wants me to try and get out for a run with him after his meetings, just not sure it's going to help much. More afraid it's going to start my coughing up and my mess up my breathing, which seems to be harder the past couple of days. I think I look closer to 9 months pregnant today *sigh*

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Ughhh sorry to hear that it's back Sad

This race next month ought to be interesting to say the least (if it happens)  I'm stopped in my tracks right now. I've gained about 10 lbs of water weight and it keeps going up each day. Starting to wonder about my cough cause it came on after the water retention started (been about a week now) I didn't run yesterday and the only time I had any coughing was when I lifted weights. I feel like some one pumped me up with IV after IV of water. Got that cold weird feeling all throughout my body and my stomach hurts like freaken mad. I'm turning into a big baby!! My husband wants me to try and get out for a run with him after his meetings, just not sure it's going to help much. More afraid it's going to start my coughing up and my mess up my breathing, which seems to be harder the past couple of days. I think I look closer to 9 months pregnant today *sigh*

I saw the fb pic.  Weird.  Any idea what's causing the fluid retention?  Not normal.

Prince of Fatness

I saw the fb pic.  Weird.

Me too.  Weird is right.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Me too.  Weird is right.

Crap. I thought I needed to change contacts. Hope you get that sorted out rocken.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd get it checked out...

Prince of Fatness

Hey, PH, I"m sure you've looked at piriformis syndrome already?

Yeah I have not completely ruled it out.  Pirifomis on both sides are tight.  The reason that I wonder is that the only muscles affected are my quads.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/240726-what-nerves-affect-the-quad-muscle/

My upper quad / lower hip area on that side is real tight.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I hope that you see your Dr. soon Pam.  Good luck.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

I just hurt myself with a lunch workout.  Ufdah.  I needed that.