3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Not running for just a couple of days has made me fat and cranky.

Sorry to hear about the ext. d. longus muscle.  I had to shorten it up as I have no clue what that is.  Regardless, I hope a couple of days will do the trick for you or you just may get booted out of the house sooner than later.  My couple of days have turned into almost a week and it's driving me nuts.  The weather's been great and all I want to do is head outside for a run.  There's been some good days and some days where the leg is more sore/tendor than others.  I really don't know what else to do at this point but not running for almost a week seems to have made no difference.

Just a dude.

Well, I went back to the doc today. They have cleared me for light duty work, but no driving. They are real paranoid about me moving my arm much so I can't run. But I can bike and walk. So I guess I can do some cardio and cross training.

The pace maker tech was frustrated. Apparently I'm not supposed to be this healthy... He didn't like the way my heart and the pace maker were working together. I have what he calls runner's heart, which apparently confuses the pace maker. He's getting with the manufacturer to see if he can override some of the settings on the device to make things work better.

The doc was kinda frustrating. She has my pace maker set at 60bpm because sometimes my problem is caused by having a heart rate too slow. She also has me on medication to lower my heart rate because sometimes my problem is caused by having my heart go too fast.  /sigh So overall, my heart rate is being determined by the pace maker most of the time. Hopefully some of that can change over time.

I hope the rest of you are doing well and getting right. It feels and sounds like spring outside. It's starting to smell like track season to me.

Smile

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Well, I went back to the doc today. They have cleared me for light duty work, but no driving. They are real paranoid about me moving my arm much so I can't run. But I can bike and walk. So I guess I can do some cardio and cross training.

The pace maker tech was frustrated. Apparently I'm not supposed to be this healthy... He didn't like the way my heart and the pace maker were working together. I have what he calls runner's heart, which apparently confuses the pace maker. He's getting with the manufacturer to see if he can override some of the settings on the device to make things work better.

The doc was kinda frustrating. She has my pace maker set at 60bpm because sometimes my problem is caused by having a heart rate too slow. She also has me on medication to lower my heart rate because sometimes my problem is caused by having my heart go too fast.  /sigh So overall, my heart rate is being determined by the pace maker most of the time. Hopefully some of that can change over time.

I hope the rest of you are doing well and getting right. It feels and sounds like spring outside. It's starting to smell like track season to me.

Smile

-Kelly

Did the same doc set the 60bpm pacemaker and start the medication to suppress HR?  Seems kinda contradictory to me.

It is not surprising that you're out of the range of what they'd normally see for people with a problem like this.  The machine, like most docs, probably thinks a pulse below 60 is pathological.  I hope they can get everything figured out to where you are protected from a repeat incident but can return to doing the things you love.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

Whoa Kelly, I just saw your post.  Hope they figure this stuff out soon!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Whoa Kelly, I just saw your post.  Hope they figure this stuff out soon!

Me, too, Kelly.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Just a dude.

Did the same doc set the 60bpm pacemaker and start the medication to suppress HR?  Seems kinda contradictory to me.

It is not surprising that you're out of the range of what they'd normally see for people with a problem like this.  The machine, like most docs, probably thinks a pulse below 60 is pathological.  I hope they can get everything figured out to where you are protected from a repeat incident but can return to doing the things you love.

Yeah... Same doc... She could tell that I didn't like her answers... I'm hoping that over time I can get them to lower the rate on the pace maker some... If I have to, I can just stop taking the medication... The doc could tell I was pretty unhappy with the idea of taking it for the rest of my life... I hate that medicine seems to be 80% liability protection any more. I very much feel like I'm getting squeezed into a box with this stuff... -Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

C-R

Get more opinions Kelly. They don't call it practicing medicine for just any reason. Seriously though it would confirm or perhaphs give options for treatment and i get the taking meds thing - i dont enjoy it either. Seems i need to though. Left calf is very sore today. Thought it wiuld settle for anice run in the hills this morning but its barking at me pretty hard. Guess i did push pretty hard at the race yesterday. Crap.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Get more opinions Kelly. They don't call it practicing medicine for just any reason. Seriously though it would confirm or perhaphs give options for treatment and i get the taking meds thing - i dont enjoy it either.

+1

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

hope it stops barking CR!

As for me, I'm retaining water yet again like I did a couple weeks ago. Felt off yesterday so I didn't run since I had a race today. Felt off this morning so decided no hard pushing during the race. Of course with the way I was coughing, doubt I could have pushed much. Anyway got home was talking to my husband. I ended up going to weigh myself, something I normally do first thing in the am so that I can log it into my recovery calculator or whatever it's called. However this morning I just put what I weighed yesterday. Well I'm up over 5 lbs from yesterday. I didn't eat much yesterday in fact I had cheerios for dinner since I wasn't feeling so hot. 49 or so miles for the week, I SHOULD be (and I was last weekend) full of energy and having a hard time holding back. This is frustrating to say the least. Yes better now then the week of my race, however I'd much prefer to deal with normal stuff while tapering.

OK enough whining

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

I go see this guy on Saturday.  We'll see how it goes.

Well if nothing else he definitely loosened me up.  The tightness in the front of the hip was psoas and a couple of other things that he rattled off.  Can't remember exactly.  He worked on that area and when I got up much of the tightness was gone.  He also worked on the piriformis and some other ligament near it (attaches to SI joint and sit bone I think).  That hurt like hell.  He did a little on the left side as well but most of the tightness was on the right.

As far as the numb leg goes, he thinks that it is the femoral nerve.  This is based on both the feeling that I described and also the tightness in the front of my hip.  As for what to do, I mentioned the exercises that I am doing and he seemed to think that I am on the right track with that stuff.  He gave me a couple of ideas on keeping the hip flexors loose.

The leg still feels a little funny (for lack of a better way to put it), but a little better than before.  Perhaps the nerve is still irritated from being pinched.  There is still some tightness in that area but not as much.  I will probably go back in a few weeks because I think that the tight hips are the issue and ART seems to be the only way that I can get them loosened up.  I just need to follow up and keep after the core work.

Not at it at all. 

PH, I used a massage therapist a good bit a couple years ago to work out issues as I returned to running and was stupid about it.  In my experience, getting the work done more frequently than once every "few weeks" was huge for me in getting the tension out and keeping the area loose (looser, anyway) thereafter.

And yeah, the self-help was key.  I've weaned myself off regular MT sessions (I was going something like twice per three weeks at my peak) through stretching, my TP Therapy tools, and being smarter about running and improvising if/when things felt funny.  When my own stuff doesn't help, I've found ART to be pretty effective.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Slo

Shoulder is F'd

Clincally, suspected slap tear and rotator cuff tear. Spent the last three weeks with a hairline fracture too. (that was the weird pain I was experiencing. I couldn't figure out why I had pain that low down my arm)

In that time ( 3 1/5 weeks) I've ripped out and replaced counter tops, put in a tile back splash, did a bike race and learned how to run without swinging my left arm. One of the most frustrating things about running with out one arm swinging is that my reflective vest wants to bunch up on my left side and everrything gets out of whack.

So my choices are to have an MRI and confirm or just do PT for what we suspect and hope things get somewhat better. Surgery is an option but I don't want to give up my summer.

It's only my left arm.

3 1/2 weeks out from trama like this is still a relatively short time so it's very hard to say how bad the tears coud be. Doc said I really need to look months out before considering getting an MRI and surgery. Because of the hairline fracture he wants my arm in a sling, just so I don't do something like remodel a kitchen. Other than that...he wants me to keep it moving so it don't lock up.

C-R

Bummer Slo. From my past experience with a shoulder issue - don't skip or short change the PT. DO IT!

I watched a couple other guys in my "group" scrimp and it lasted them an extra year. I wanted to play pain free golf so I was motivated.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

Just worked out my April schedule...

Looks like 17 hearings scheduled so far and at least 4000 miles driving. Wife will be working all but 4 days, each of which she will be post night call, and I won't ever sleep in the same city more than 3 nights in a row. I might be able to breathe in May. It's starting to look like late summer or early fall for my first race of 2012.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Just worked out my April schedule...

Looks like 17 hearings scheduled so far and at least 4000 miles driving. Wife will be working all but 4 days, each of which she will be post night call, and I won't ever sleep in the same city more than 3 nights in a row. I might be able to breathe in May. It's starting to look like late summer or early fall for my first race of 2012.

Dang dude.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills