3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February Racing Thread (Read 1309 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thanks guys.

Spaniel, there really wasn't a problem with ice. The course was pretty clear and the couple of spots where there was some ice or salt there was plenty of room to get around it.

C-R, since I've never run a 7 miler I could walk it in and claim a PR. Big grin   I'm not sure yet how hard I'll run tomorrow. I'll wait and see how my legs feel. I seem to be pretty terrible at predicting my times anyway.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

RA...DUDE!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

20 flat.  It's early yet.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

I seem to be pretty terrible at predicting my times anyway.

Take your best guess on what would be challenging and subtract 2 minutes.  Wink

I'd throw your 5K in a calculator and add 60-90sec to compensate for having raced today and the longer distance (assuming you're better trained for a 5K than 7-miler).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

2/12 - spaniel -- Groundhog 7-miler -- 38:30.

Mta- correct time, my math sucked.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

22:00  for me today. Teach me to not bother looking at Garmin during run, had I known how close I was to sub 22 I could have put the gas on. I think at the time when I saw the clock I thought I had the sub 22 in the bag. Forget the timing pads are a few meters after the clock. Oh well a good day for me

MTA: official  chip time was 21:58!!!  24 second PR Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

forecast of 26 feels like 12 with winds @ 20 mph. I'm still feeling like crap and yest I'm still going to Shiver by the River. Looks like my membership to the Hurtlocker isn't in jeapardy as of yet.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Congrats on your sub 22 Rocken and good luck today!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Take your best guess on what would be challenging and subtract 2 minutes.  Wink

I'd throw your 5K in a calculator and add 60-90sec to compensate for having raced today and the longer distance (assuming you're better trained for a 5K than 7-miler).

Well, the race time predictor says 59:31, so I'm going to shoot for sub-60. I have no idea if I can hit that and may fail miserably, but I wouldn't want to be accused of sandbagging. Big grin

Congrats on your sub 22 Rocken and good luck today!

Thanks RA and back atcha!!! Good luck today!

Feeling the growl again

Well, the race time predictor says 59:31, so I'm going to shoot for sub-60. I have no idea if I can hit that and may fail miserably, but I wouldn't want to be accused of sandbagging. Big grin

Racing two days in a row, sounds aggressive to me.... Wink

Rocken, great job on the 5K, sounds like you must have gotten enough rest the past couple days!

Watch out, rabutler is closing the gap and by fall we may have to goad you two after each other's times...

Prince of Fatness

MTA: official  chip time was 21:58!!!  24 second PR Smile

Nice job.  Maybe it's time for you to start thinking sub 20.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

2/12 - spaniel -- Groundhog 7-miler -- 38:30.

Mta- correct time, my math sucked.

I am an idiot and forgot my flats, so first race in trainers in at least 15 years.

39:02, 1st OA.  First 4 splits all 5:38-5:44, missed markers after that but averaged 5:26 for remaining miles.  I thought I was going to get third until about 5 miles....then they just dropped...from my perspective...and I pulled away to the finish.  I was surprised as they looked strong.  Then at the finish one of them complimented me on a "wicked surge" at 5 miles, which the splits back up, so I guess I just finally hit my groove.  It felt pretty awkward in trainers for much of the race, but I felt strong and smooth by the end.

I think my goal was pretty close had I had flats....weather was pretty nasty.  So I'll take this result, no complaints.

I was trying to enjoy the view of a couple cute girls with amazing footspeed as C-R was finishing...but then he ruined it for me by drawing my attention away with his wicked kick as he solidly kept himself from getting chicked.  He probably ran the last 100m faster than I did.

rabutler is still a sandbagger.  Wink  We saw hacker2000 there too, so it was a good day.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

59:09

And I still get accused of sandbaggining. It's not my fault the race time predictor doesn't take into account my awesomeness factor.

Congrats to Spaniel on his win. In his trainers even! He was just toying with those other guys. Now who's the sandbagger? Wink

Great seeing C-R and Hacker2000 there.

C-R

No official time from the club folks yet and I did not wear a watch today (long story) but the clock said 48:48 as I crossed the mats. So lets say 48:50. Solid effort for me but I need to lose weight to get serious. These 10 extra pounds are destroying my racing.

Now I did follow a couple of young ladies for two miles up to marker 4 (they passed me so I just thought it appropriate to follow along). I managed to pick it up at the 4 mile mark and get pushing to the finish. I heard some footsteps in the last 250 and was damned determined not to get caught at the line so I hit the gas. Strangely, there was something in the tank and the legs. The weather conditions were a challenge. Sunny and 28 but the gusts were up to 30 mph and running into the wind almost sucked your will to live from your bones. Thankfully this course had some berms that helped shield some of that or this would have been an epic suckfest. Downwind was fun.

Spaniel hammered another win. I saw him at 4 1/4 and he was closing on the runner in front who looked worried. I guess he had ample reason to be. Heh. Nice win and in trainers too.

Spent some time with ra (who ran another good race today). Good things are coming in 2012 from him. No more sandbagging.

Hacker2000 was there as well and had a solid race too.

Now i think I am changing my 2/25 race from the Polar Bear double to the Fishers XC 5k. Let's say 21 even. Got that Nads?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/