3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February Racing Thread (Read 1309 times)

Nice racing guys! Congrats on the win Spaniel! 

23:18 for me today. Nasty nasty nasty weather. Thank goodness I accomplished my goal yesterday and today was for fun though I have to say running in the freezing cold with 20-22 mpr winds is NOT fun.  Still managed 2nd in AG and 11th female. Nice thing about this series is they only count 3 of your races and if you've ran 4 they throw out the least amount of points race. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Racing two days in a row, sounds aggressive to me.... Wink

Rocken, great job on the 5K, sounds like you must have gotten enough rest the past couple days!

Watch out, rabutler is closing the gap and by fall we may have to goad you two after each other's times...

I think it was more that there wasn't any pressure. I know how my body is when I push it too hard when it's not feeling well so I didn't push it. I totally took the pressure off myself when I made the decision that it was better to listen to my body then worry about any goals since they weren't all that important to me at this time.Also I didn't look at my garmin but maybe 3 times in the race and each time I did I slowed down. I would be much faster if I left the watch at home (or says my husband).

OK RA you hear this, if you're up to running sub 21 this fall COME GET ME 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

59:09

And I still get accused of sandbaggining. It's not my fault the race time predictor doesn't take into account my awesomeness factor.

Well let's be clear....you may get accused of sandbagging your goals since you continue to soundly pound them.  But nobody can accuse you of sandbagging on the effort.  Smile

Two solid races in a weekend....jeez...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Hey RA, that's a call out.  Are you going to take that?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

running in the freezing cold with 20-22 mpr winds is NOT fun.

I actually enjoyed my run this morning but then again I wasn't racing.  It was definitely not racing weather in these parts.

Not at it at all. 

Nice job.  Maybe it's time for you to start thinking sub 20.

lol that's what I told dh, then I remembered I better get sub 21 first.  Maybe JUST maybe that could happen (the sub 21) if you showed up in March at the last shiver by the river and the weather just happened to be perfect weather for racing. Now that I've gone sub 22 that takes sooooooo much pressure off, I'm planning on some good workouts over the next few weeks I'm hoping to go as far sub 22 as I can come the race in March. If not I'm signed up for one in NJ for April 29th. 

Prince of Fatness

Maybe JUST maybe that could happen (the sub 21) if you showed up in March at the last shiver by the river

I may show up but the only problem is that I would go the 10K option since I have a PR at that distance that is softer than my fat belly is now.  I'd like to come if for no other reason just to visit with you and also get this fat ass of mine moving just a little.  Right now I am a probably.

Not at it at all. 

I may show up but the only problem is that I would go the 10K option since I have a PR at that distance that is softer than my fat belly is now.  I'd like to come if for no other reason just to visit with you and also get this fat ass of mine moving just a little.  Right now I am a probably.

THAT might just work to my advantage. It's an uphill start and a downhill finish, which is AWESOME when you're not running down the hill with a major headwind. Hope to see you there! 

I actually enjoyed my run this morning but then again I wasn't racing.  It was definitely not racing weather in these parts.

or a long run. I had 17 miles planned however  I had no problem putting it off until tomorrow. Also helped that trying to find the time would have been real tight. Frankie is not quite old enough to leave home alone

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Sub 21?? Oh crap, I hadn't even considered a time that fast. Drop another 4 minutes off my 5K time? What the hell. I'm in. Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Sub 21 is possible for you this year, ra. 2010 was like that for me. Big PRs almost every time I lined up. It was kind of awesome. Soak it in while you can. The faster you get, the smaller the PRs get, and the harder they are to come by. FWIW, though, I did just PR last week, and I have big plans this year, so I ain't done yet. Stay healthy and keep working, and you'll be amazed when you look back on this year.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Sub 21 is possible for you this year, ra. 2010 was like that for me. Big PRs almost every time I lined up. It was kind of awesome. Soak it in while you can. The faster you get, the smaller the PRs get, and the harder they are to come by. FWIW, though, I did just PR last week, and I have big plans this year, so I ain't done yet. Stay healthy and keep working, and you'll be amazed when you look back on this year.

yes male's got it easy Wink  

Sub 21?? Oh crap, I hadn't even considered a time that fast. Drop another 4 minutes off my 5K time? What the hell. I'm in. Big grin

AWESOME!! Though aren't I supposed to say some kind of mean crap? 

yes male's got it easy Wink  

It was my aerodynamic testicles that made all the difference. Wink

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

2/11/12 - Cupid's Chase 5k (Nashville) - goal sub 21:45, which will be a new PR

22:11 was my time and that put me first in AG and 10th overall. Better job of pacing and not going crazy the first 1/4 mile this time.  It was
                                ridiculously cold, especially compared to the warm weather we've been having, and the wind was pretty bad.  I think it was 27 deg F with wind chill in the teens when we started.  (Ok so I should have called the wahhhmbulance, right?)

I put my watch on 1 kilometer splits just to try something different and break the race into smaller pieces, hoping I could fool myself into running
                                faster.  My kilometer splits were 4:16 (6:53 pace); 4:29 (7:13 pace); 4:24 (7:04 pace); 4:38 (7:29 pace ... this was the only small hill on the course and we ran straight into a strong headwind at this point too); 4:15 (6:51 pace), and the last .04 miles was at a 5:11 pace.  My garmin said the course was 5.1 kilometers (.04 miles long), and someone else said they did too, but still I don't know that the Garmins are accurate enough to say the course was long by such a small amount.

Anyway, I ran hard enough to feel like I was about to throw up in the last kilometer of the race (just after I passed a teenager and tried to make him
                                think I was accelerating and not about to die), so I had to back off a little, but he didn't pass me back, so that was good, and I felt pretty strong on the kick.  So strong I felt like I left something on the course, but it must have been somewhere in the middle because my start and finish seemed about right.