50 and over 5k and beyond

November Runs and Workouts (Read 19 times)

Chantilly:  HAHA on suggesting to NH to 'wear a chef's hat/apron to model for Victor's Secret' .   WTG on the great 11 miler!! DH is from ND (north central, about 10 miles from CA border), we lived there for 10 yrs before moving to AZ for 10 yrs, and now in MN.  We made trips by car and harley bikes to Canada in summers too.  Yeah, I just don't feel like driving to the gym sometimes so I get my butt out the door before I talk myself out of it, .

NH:  does Sim have a 'winter coat' .........we had one for Odie ......their paws probably get cold from the ice more than anything. That's my thinking when he really didn't want to come with me in the bitter cold. Great job on the pace!

WDW:  good luck on the 10k .......not sure if I will do one here. It's only a 5k.  Is it worth being out in the frigid cold that early in the morning?!?

Deb:  you are getting some runs in no matter the hectic schedule, good for you!!  Such a great mom!! When is the HM?  I forgot if you told us.

It was 'warmer' today, with the sun out for most of the morning, a hazy sky.  Wind around 12mph, 28 degrees, feels 15!! WOW!!   So bundled up again and ran 8 miles.  Had to take off a layer after 4 miles! Still wore balaclava to protect my ears and neck.  I'm prone to earaches when they aren't covered.  The dirt road of the fairgrounds were snow packed but not too frozen so easier to run on.  Hope to run my last LONG run this weekend, then taper time.

Chantilly75

NH Runner  People around here have little booties they put on their dogs when it gets cold outside, but not all dogs will leave them on their feet. Hope it isn't too icy for your race with those forecasted temps.

az2mntrail Hope your long run this weekend is a good one.

12 miles. TRI group there plus a few casual solitary runners. One senior lady is walking with ski poles.  Is that called nordic walking?

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday,11/22... double today, rode the tryke 4 miles on the railtrail first, checked speed in the second mile and hit 9:15, going the other way, hit 9:50.    Later in the day ran 6 miles on the railtrail, splits were 10:06, 9:15, 9:01, 9:01, 8:50 and 8:50.

az... you're almost through with marathon training, good luck getting that last long run in!   Sim doesn't have a coat.  He's got a lot of hair, but I don't know if it's enough.   We'll probably get him one just to be on the safe side.

Chantilly... Sim's also got a lot of hair on the bottoms of his feet, but I don't know if it's enough for running in snow.    So far, we're still snowless, so he's ok.   With as much hair as he's, he might be ok in snow, but I'll keep an eye on him.    And yes, Nordic Walking is what you saw.  Thinking if giving it a try?   I think you'd like it...

Crazy Diamond

WDWRich~Your race sure is bright & early on Thanksgiving morn.  Nice work out and run.

Chantilly~You just keep churning out those mega miles!  Great job!!!  Football team won - State champs!  Awesome game, but it  sure was cold at Camp Randall.  The indoor race at St. Olaf looks interesting.  I may keep that one in mind for next year.  Could stay with my DB in Minneapolis.

NH Runner~Nice double workout! Those paces are looking great, Rich.

AZ~Hope the temps warm up and the winds calm for your final long run.  So excited for you!  My indoor HM is the end of January.

Yesterday - Not much time with travel to the game, but fit in 5 miles at the indoor track.

Today - SRD.  The past few days I've had a pain on the top of my right foot.  'Dr. Google' diagnosed it as extensor tendonitis.  It isn't painful while running, but getting in and out of shoes is a bit dicey.  Icing on and off this evening.  Did a double-shift serving at DS2's jazz choir spaghetti dinner and concert.  Not too smart to have been on my feet that long.  Dr google says it's okay to run, so will go for 10 miles tomorrow.  Hopefully we'll have the same weather as today, 48F, and overcast, no wind.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

NH Runner Nice double there with the cross-training and the speeding up those last few miles.

gito57 Hope your foot is better.  Make sure the laces aren't too tight on any of your shoes or boots across the top. Helpful to stay in sock feet in the house and put your feet up as much as possible.

Ran 7 miles

Biked 12 minutes

Ran 2 miles

Walked 1 mile.

Freezing rain here, so 10 "good" runners were there for their long run. Fun to have some friends keep lapping me. oh, well, motivation!

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

AZ- that flatland really looks desolate!  Hang in there, you'll be in TX before you know it!

Chantilly- way to keep cranking out the miles! 

Rich- nice double and VERY nice pace on those last miles!

Deb- hope the foot held out for you!  weather pretty amazing today.  If I'd forced myself out the door Friday morning I could have had a more miles than degrees run, it was 1 degree here.

gito- after all these years on the forum we're all friends now.  You gotta tell us, where does 'girl in the orchard' come from?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

got out yesterday and today for 5+ each day.  49 degrees @ noon, mild rain and wind.

Yesterday evening DW & I went to Madison and I pulled the trigger on a new treadmill.  Looking forward to getting it delivered and set up so I can roll out of bed and stumble down the stairs for my run on these cold dark mornings! Maybe I can do the Holiday streak from Thanksgiving to NYD.

Bummer on the way home though; we were a mile from home when we hit a large rock in the middle of our lane  and poked a hole in the oil pan.  still working on soaking up 4+ qt of oil from garage floor.  It was DW's nice car too!     Time to get a Hummer with high clearance!   You never know what you'll run across in the road in farm country.

Dan

NH Runner

Sunday, 11/23... I'm easing up heading into the 5K this week, so just an easy 2 miles on the railtrail with Sim.   We hit 54 degrees today and the ATV'ers were out in force.   Not many of 'em have the common sense to slow down around anyone else and Sim wasn't too keen on sharing the trail with them, so 2 miles was enough.

gito... good luck with that right foot, hopefully the icing helped.    And good luck with the scheduled 10 miler...

Chantilly... nice workout!   Not much you can do about the faster runners, I just ignore 'em, happy with the knowledge that I look better than they do, even if they are faster...

dan... it's raining here today and unlike you, I'm waiting for it to stop...lol   Nice runs in the rain!    I wonder if your insurance will cover the damage to your wife's car.   It seems unlikely, but might be worth checking.   "Stumbling down the stairs" doesn't project an image of a guy getting ready to run, here's hoping for a good relationship between your and the new treadmill...

NH Runner

Monday, 11/24...  4 miles easy on the railtrail today.   Plan was to take it easy 'til race day on Thursday, but the Weatherman's thrown me a curve, the forecast now is for snow Wednesday night into Thursday, so I may not be racing at all.   I'll keep an eye on the forecast, but slip sliding through the snow in a race is out...

Tried to take a picture with Sim and the Tryke together and the tryke cooperated, but Sim wouldn't.    So... here's a couple of pictures.   One of the tryke with its latest modifications and one of Sim and all his hair.   I had to give him a treat so he'd give me a side view pose... lol

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly~Freezing rain - yuck!   That is precisely why the indoor track is needed.  I'll run in just about any weather, but cold rain is my least favorite.  Great workout for you!  Are the stationary bikes available to all at the track?  Thanks for the tip on changing my laces.

NH Runner~I do hope the bad weather fizzles out so you are able to get your 5k in.  Sim's a little camera shy?   Where are the flame decals for the bike????

Dan~Oh no!  Sorry about the hole in the oil pan AND the subsequent mess  / cleanup. There is so much junk on the roadways.  I've had 5 tires replaced in 2 1/2 years from metal, keys and bolts puncturing tires.  Nice weekend running for you, the weather was sure 'tropical' after last week's single digit temps.

My dyslexic brain reported on the wrong foot!   It is my left foot that has been the problem.  Funny, my left side has always been the strong side.  Research stated the extensor tendonitis may  ave been aggravated by hill work which I've been doing after every run on Mondays. Continuing to ice and elevate when I can.

Yesterday - Took advantage of the balmy 50Fand light drizzle and got my 10 miles w/ 2 5-miles loops on the river parkway path.  So many folks out in shorts, SS t shirts - it was great!  The drizzle turned to rain drops about 8 miles in, but it was too warm for my rain jacket.

Today -  Pouring rain changed to snow flurries, so headed to the indoor track.  Ran 6 easy miles, decided to drop the hill repeats until foot heals.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Crazy Diamond

Dan~My mother is an artist and painter.  She had a large collection of art books that I would page through for hours.  I was infatuated with the work of  James Whistler and Winslow Homer.  In one of the books there was a double page fold out (it was fabulous!) of Homer's painting "Girl in the Orchard".  I looked at that page every day and wondered of the woman portrayed in the painting.  I also grew up in the middle of a pear and apple orchard planted by my father's parents in the early 1900's.  It was a magical place to grow up and filled with adventures in every season.  When I run, this is the place my mind returns to.  Although I'm a city girl now, I'll always be the girl in the orchard.

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

justrundan Too bad about the car, guess that's why farmers all have pickups. Is it hard/expensive to get an oil pan fixed?

NH Runner Your tryke looks nice. I see the brake, but how do you check your speed? Sim's coat looks pretty thick for the winter.

gito57 Nice workout in the rain, but at this time of year, it almost always turns to snow. Good to be indoors. Did you say your son is doing the indoor relay with you?

6 miles. Tomorrow off due to work.

Sonata Arctica

About 15 degrees, 16-25mph wind/gusts; feels -7, cloudy, today was really as dismal as it was cold and cloudy.  So DH dropped me off at the university gym to get my LAST LONG run.  Was NOT feeling it at all but HAVE to do it. Ran 6 miles on track, 4 on TM, 4 on track, 2.5 on TM, 2 on track.  The last two miles were survival mode.  Pace was good till mile 13.  Energy depletion, probably due to not eating before run. Just wasn't hungry, just had a fruit smoothie; obviously, not enough to keep me going.  Not a smart decision, I know, I know.  Couldn't get my 'nice' pace again, rest of run was not fast but I got it done!! Finished 18.5 miles!! YIPPEE.    Taper time ...............weather is gonna get pretty bad again this week.

My dyslexic brain reported on the wrong foot!   It is my left foot that has been the problem.  Funny, my left side has always been the strong side.  Research stated the extensor tendonitis may  ave been aggravated by hill work which I've been doing after every run on Mondays. Continuing to ice and elevate when I can.

Yesterday - Took advantage of the balmy 50Fand light drizzle and got my 10 miles w/ 2 5-miles loops on the river parkway path.  So many folks out in shorts, SS t shirts - it was great!  The drizzle turned to rain drops about 8 miles in, but it was too warm for my rain jacket.

Today -  Pouring rain changed to snow flurries, so headed to the indoor track.  Ran 6 easy miles, decided to drop the hill repeats until foot heals.

Deb:  I really hope that your foot get better for your races!! Those 'hill work' can sneak in an injury sometimes . Yesterday was 'nice' here too because of the 5mph wind!!! Sure makes a difference around here ..........wanted to run but had to rest for my LONG run today. Glad I did as it was a battle the last 4 miles for me.  GREAT JOB on the 10 miles!! Smart on not running hill repeats for healing to take place.

Chantilly:  we are 'almost neighbors' ...........awesome cross training with running and biking yesterday, then a run today!! WTG!!

NH:  cutie pie SIM!!   Love the simplicity of the tryke.  Hope the weather isn't as bad as it is predicted so you can run your 10k ........but I can relate to opting out due to weather.  Better safe than sorry for sure.

Dan:  That is terrible ........agree with Deb that it's difficult to avoid stuff on the road especially in bad weather.  Hope the $$ for repair doesn't make for a bummer holiday.  WTG on the 5+ miler days though, helps with the stress.

rmcj001

Quick synopsis of running activity, will reply to others future post.

Friday, 9.2 miles, last 6.2 at marathon pace.

Saturday, USRD - didn't feel like running so ended up walking 5 miles on TM while watching The Net.

Sunday, start long run got 5 miles in and needed to beeline home to take care of business, so first run 5.4 miles.  Well after 49er game finally decided to finish day with 7.3 on TM.  Last 5 miles at MP.  Watched High Fidelity.

Monday, 7.7 miles at any easy progressive run - was trying to do MP pace by feel and was 15 - 30 seconds on either side.  Pretty sure that I'll need to pay attention to watch during race to keep things at right pace.

Ray

NH Runner

Tuesday, 11/25... 6 mile railtrail run today.    We hit 50 degrees and I wore shorts and a tech shirt, but with 6 to 12 inches of snow forecast for tomorrow, who knows how long it'll be before I can do that again...lol   Anyway, pace was mid to low 9's.   I'm going to play it by ear with the Thanksgiving day race, if conditions are ok I'll race, but it ain't looking good...

gito... I like the story behind your user name...    I forgot about the flames for the tryke, but I'll probably make life easy on myself and just call it the "Rainbow" tryke and leave it like it is with all the different colors...lol    Congrats. on the 10 miler!

Chantilly... I've measured the first few miles on the railtrail with my mtn bike, so I know where the splits are.   For me to know my speed riding the tryke, it's just a question of hitting my watch at each mile marker.    And yeah, Sim's hair is thick, thank goodness he doesn't shed...  Nice run!

az... you're a tough Cookie!   18.6 miles under those conditions is really good!

ray... I'm betting when your legs are rested you'll have an easier time hitting your marathon pace.   Are you getting a little anxious about your race, or is it too early yet?   The anticipation and nervous energy leading up to a marathon kind'a takes over with about a week to go...lol