50 and over 5k and beyond

September Runs & Workouts (Read 21 times)

Chantilly75

9 miles on the track.

Then more yard work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

About 55 degrees for a high with partly sunny day, breezy though.  We are leaving tomorrow instead; DH had to get some extra stuff done.  It gave me the day for my long run, .  Finished 14.2 miles, YIPPEE!!  Felt good for 11 miles and it got tough with the headwind, ran up a short hill a couple of times .......couldn't pass it by, LOL!!

Have a super duper weekend everyone!!

NH Runner

It's a struggle trying to come back from almost 3 months of no running, the only barometer being how you feel during and after a run.   As I have a tendency to over-do it, I grabbed Simba yesterday and went for a 1.5 mile walk / jog on the railtrail as an experiment to see if it'd help me recover from Friday's 7 miler, I'd been sore...

Sunday, 9/14... I didn't think so when I started out, but a half mile into the 6 miler on the railtrail today, I got into a good rhythm and had a nice run.   Splits were 10:37, 9:44, 9:37, 9:37, 9:27 and 9:24.   Definitely an improvement in the soft footing, I'll take it!

Dan... nice workout!

Chantilly... no rest for you, eh?   Right back to full training mode already!

az... excellent running!   That 14.2 miler will pay dividends down the road!

justrundan

NHrich-  nice run as you come back; the speed is there, way to go! 

AZ- have a great trip west, enjoy new places to run.

Chantilly-  You're going to wear that track out.  You are the mileage queen.

Spent weekend about 3hr north of home, staying in cabin belonging to DS in-laws.  A number of DW's family was able to come, 11 of us in all.  Great places to run.  It's on one of those northern lakes that is lined with vacation homes, so lots of little side roads off the main road; On Saturday I investigated a bunch of them, got in about 8.6 mi but never more than 1.5 mi from the cabin.  40 degrees at the start so wore second layer and was just right.  Normally don't run Sunday's, but did an easy 4 miles before a great brunch that DW and I put together.

Have a great week everyone.  Enjoy your runs.

Dan

WDWRich

Got my planned 7 miles done Saturday morning, getting out just as the sun was starting to peek up over the horizon.  Temp 72 degrees but very humid.  The storm down in Mexico must be pumping unusually moist air into our area.  Took it easy at a pace of 10mins per mile with two short walk/water breaks.  Happy to have gotten the miles done, but when it's warm and humid you just never feel like you can settle in to a comfortable rhythm.  High for the day reached 94  Sad

I'm envious of those of you experiencing cooler autumn temps.  Can't wait for October here in SoCal!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

rmcj001

NHRich - I hear ya on the balance.  They say the Vibrams increase your procipiation, but I'm not sure.  Hate to think how bad my balance would be if I didn't run in these things.  Sounds like you're making steady progress!  Keep it up!  You didn't miss the speed work, it is mostly hidden.  You would only notice if you actually look at the details of the workouts in my logs and I don't even do that...

Az - Those are some good miles you're getting in.  Hope the trips don't interfere too much.  Give Odie a hug for us.

Chantilly - The "temptress of the track!"  What's the distance on the next race?

Dan - Some nice runs in there!  Making me feel like a slacker this week.  Keep it up!

WDRich - I'm ready for some cooler weather too.  We're not quite as warm up here, but we'd been hitting the 90's since last Wednesday.  I don't avoid the heat, but it would be nice if it were cooler.  Today was only 81F during my run...

Friday 90F, 8.1 miles at any easy pace.  Saturday, 5 mile progressive treadmill run 41:37.  Sunday 3 mile progressive TM run, 24:05.  Monday 81F, 8.2 miles at moderate easy pace.  I'm envious of those experiencing cooler weather -- I know it will be here in a few more weeks...

Ray

NH Runner

Monday, 9/15... 2 mile easy recovery run on the railtrail with Ol' Squirt...  Patience is the order of the day when you're running with a dog, but it's fun just the same.

dan... what a weekend, eh?   It's great having family around plus you got in a couple of nice runs to boot!

WDWrich... it's actually too cool here as far as I'm concerned, but if I have to choose between 40 and 90 degrees, I'll take the 40...    Congrats. on a nice run, it's not easy when the humidity's up, you did well.

Ray...yes, I'm making steady progress, I'm actually happy at how well I'm doing in spite of the constant whining...lol   In my case, it's not so much balance as it is paying attention to where I'm going...lol  There are a lots of stones on the railtrail with the potential to send me flying, they're imbedded in the dirt and sticking up just enough to catch an unsuspecting toe.

Nice runs lately, you're maintaining really well!

This... http://runnersconnect.net/running-nutrition-articles/optimize-your-diet-to-balance-your-ph-levels/  is something every runner should read.   I've never seen this before but it's definitely worth knowing, be sure to read to the end...

WDWRich

NH Rich - Thanks for the link to the nutrition article.  A very interesting read!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

WDWRich

While my 11yo granddaughter was practicing on a nearby field with her soccer club last week, I did some running on nearby trails.  Much of the trail in this area meanders through an area hit by wildfires earlier this year.  Since we're in our dry season, not much recovery of the local flora has taken place yet.  So sad...

Wildfire area

Rich

rmcj001

WDRich - I'm not so sure fire is so bad for this western US.  A lot of plants out here need a fire to help germinate seeds.  Many, manzanita, redwoods are fire resistant and will survive many types.  Some species are especially adept at recolonizing burned areas.  Our eco system out here benefits from the occasional fires.  I think much of the trouble we see now has been caused by preventing fires for so many years.  But, this year seems worse when combined with the drought.  I think many of the native americans understood this and actually did control burns to promote many of the species that benefit from fire.  Looks like good area to run, technically challenging.

NHRich - balance might not be actually any worse, but I think as we age we lose some of the muscle mass and this makes it harder to recover from what would have been stumbles in the past.  At least I've noticed that some hazards that in the past I could muscle through I tend to almost face plant.  As an example, I've fallen a lot over the years running, cycling and motorcycle spills.  Almost never hit my head (even with a helmet on) - neck and arms were always able to reduce the blows to something less serious.  Last December caught my toe and bashed my forehead pretty good, even tho I got my hands down.  I remember being surprised, not so much by the fall, but hitting my head...Sigh, the getting old thing just sucks...

7.1 miles today in 57:33 last 3 miles were 7:55, 7:42 and 7:18.  A bit embarrassed by how much sweat was on me walking after - looked like someone had thrown a cup of water on me.  Temp was probably mid-70's

Ray

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/16... 7 mile run on the highway today, I eased up the last mile, but wanted to see how my leg would react to running on pavement.    Everything went pretty well, splits looked like this...9:19, 9:00, 8:57, 8:50, 8:48, 8:46 and 9:57.    A local half marathon is scheduled to run on the railtrail in 19 days and I'd love to run it, but just don't think I can be ready.   Doggone it..!

WDWRich... that is an interesting article, isn't it?   Definitely worth experimenting to see if there's anything to it.   It's crazy the drought you're in, hopefully it won't last much longer.   Enjoyed your picture, it looks like a good place to run and shows just how dry it is out there.    Amazing...

Ray...got'cha on the falling.   And I agree about muscling through a stubbed toe in the past that now becomes a 10 foot flight through the air and crash landing...    Another nice run for you today, wow!

Chantilly75

NH Runner  Making steady progress is good to hear. Good to run with the dog. Is he well behaved in the house?

justrundan  Interesting to run in a new place, exploring the neighborhood.

WDWRich Hope it cools down some for your next run. Liked your photo. It looks pretty dry.

rmcj001 Your speed is staying fairly consistent, you must not be too tired after your 3 races.

It is a 6 hour race. My goal is 28-30 miles.

2 days off /working.

7 miles @ 6 AM.

3 miles @ 10 AM.

3 miles @ 1 PM.

Only have 3 days for training this week.

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

7 miles this morning.

Maybe more later.

Sonata Arctica

Hi everyone!  So it was a sad way to start our road trip on Sunday.  First, DH is getting SICK!!   Then we had Odie put down .  The last few days were especially miserable for him, a struggle to stay upright. He was the best. dog. ever.  We miss him.  We left later than we planned as we said our goodbyes .  We stayed the first night in "the middle of nowhere" eastern Montana.  I was insistent on stopping instead of driving another couple of hours so DH could get the rest he needed; why does he want to drive as far as he can in the middle of the night?!?  Then he's crabby the next day!!  Anyway, he admitted that he's glad we did.  To lighten the load of our smaller trailer over the mtn passes (hauling both of our harley bikes), I rode my bike from Butte Bozeman (same difference, haha) to Missoula, MO.  The interstate and mtn passes had a lot of construction going on, with one lane only in many areas but those semis are still screaming down the highways!!    We stayed in Missoula.  DH wanted to look at some RVs there (he's been checking them out online) so I, CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!? ......I ran on the dreadmill at the hotel that morning!! Yes, I did!!    It was 40 degrees outside (BRRR), still I was soooooo wishing I could run those dirt trails!!  Finished 6.3 miles, followed my 'tempo run' training plan which keeps me from getting bored.   We FINALLY made it over those mtn passes in western MO, through Idaho, and into WA!!  Slow going but gorgeous scenery!!  I was inhaling the mountain views!!  I really miss them!!  We made it to Seattle, took the Edmunds to Kingston ferry, drove another 3 hours till we got to our destination, Chito Beach Resort.  It's along the peninsula, the Strait of Juan de Fuca; Canada is about 15 miles from our beach cottage.  Our friends were waiting for us when we drove in.  We were totally exhausted.  It's a 3 hr time difference!!  Poor DH, he is losing his voice ........he drove most of the way ........I offered ......but he was on a 'mission' .......LOL!!  Friend has a dreadmill that she's dusting off  so will try to get some running in but will try to also find places to run outside .......if it doesn't rain!!

Will reply to your posts later.  But each of you look like you've been piling on the miles, WAY TO GO!!

WDWRich

AZ - So sorry to hear about Odie.  Even when we know the end is coming for our furry friends, it still leaves an empty place in the heart.

Rich