Beginners and Beyond

Should a 5k in March have a water aid station? (Read 193 times)

We have at least one water stop at all our 5Ks done down here.  Of course, we are in Texas, and the humidity down here gets crazy all year round.  Yesterday our temp reached 95 degrees, sheesh!   At 8 a.m. in the morning - the start time for the majority of our races - the temp was already in the 70s.

Our 5Ks are usually for both runners and walkers.  We often have a lot of elderly and slower people at our events who are out on the course for a while, so it is good for the water stop to be there for those that need it, IMHO.   I'm sure the faster folks will not need it at all, but the slower folks sure do appreciate it being out there.    The opinion of our RDs and race organizers down here is better to have it than not,  just in case.

my truck said 95 yesterday also, and I thought it was wrong. we went to summer and I think it is still technically winter.

glad I had a water on my way to the mail box yesterday Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

cmb4314

my truck said 95 yesterday also, and I thought it was wrong. we went to summer and I think it is still technically winter.

glad I had a water on my way to the mail box yesterday Smile

It is 8 degrees here today.  So yeah, it's definitely still winter Joking  It won't be warm here until the first week of June, and probably won't even be "not cold" until May.

In terms of 5k water stops - meh.  I don't use them, and I never did even when I was a noob because I didn't feel like fighting crowds, but they don't bother me.  It doesn't slow me down at all because few people near me use them either so there is no crowding.  If they help someone out, then great.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

flarunner

Does anyone need water for a 3 mile race.  Hell no.  I ran one at Fort Dix near the 4th of July.  It was 90+ degrees, full sun, on pavement and there were no aid stations.  No one died (although it was flippin' miserable).  It's just too short of a distance for there to be any real risk.

You really need to qualify your statements as they pertain to you, not anyone else.

Goorun

Is there a distance we ALL would agree that there is no need for water aid station ? Mile ? 1k ? 800 meters ?

I'd assume that nobody would need water for 100 meters dash, but apparently a lot of people think that there is a need for it during a 5k race.

Just for the record, I could not care less if there are or are not water aid stations in 5k races. Doesn't affect me, but others might appreciate it so why not.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

As a runner I say nope don't need water.  However 5Ks will draw all walks of life from the 16 minute 5K racer to the 70 minute walker.  Making a race unfriendly towards walkers will reduce the field size which will reduce the cash flow of the event which will lead to the increase of the cost for the runners.  We need the walkers to subsidize our racing.  Just like the resolutioners at the gym.  Without the guys paying for an entire year and not using it, the gym rats would have to pay more.

DavePNW

Just like the resolutioners at the gym.  Without the guys paying for an entire year and not using it, the gym rats would have to pay more.

And thank goodness all those resolutions get broken, otherwise the locker rooms would be as crowded the rest of the year as they are in January.

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Without the B&b/BF I would have never thought taking water during a 5K was weird. Not long ago, i never thought it was odd that if people offer me water while I'm running, I take it. I had no idea it was something that was odd or looked down upon. Only recently, after reading things on the forum and realizing that I am aiming for a 5K time goal that is really just outside my current ability, but within my reach-- did I really stop to think about A) how precious those wasted seconds are, and B) how I run farther in training, albeit slower, and have never felt a desperate need for water during my run so i probably dont NEED it in a 5k provided i hydrate well before and after the raCe. But I would say the general "beginner" runners would probably appreciate water during a 5K. 3.1 miles may be a blip for experienced runners/runners who are accustomed to a longer distance, but not to many beginner runners.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hmmm, without online sources I didn't know there were races, Without online forums, I would have never known to expect aid stations. With real life input from LRS, I was told that trail races generally don't have aid stations - and they knew where I'd gotten the misinformation. 5k races might be in mountains or on snow and take a bit longer. I just take my own stuff and don't expect anyone to provide for me in most races. If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't have expected anyone to provide for me. And I'm one of the last finishers.

But that's fine if races want to provide an aid station and people want to use it.

While our temperatures are generally cool, a hot day with competitive racers can bring even the fastest and most experienced down, and that was for a 3-3.5mi race (course record about 43+min, iirc).

As an RD (mtn bike race - about 45-90 min for most), it's not something I would have even thought about doing - partly because I've never seen it done in any of my races. (one of my 10ks and one HM have had aid; both marathons had aid; ultras didn't) And it never occurred to me to advertise there was no aid, and no one's ever complained. (we did have local ice cream at the finish Wink )

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  Love the Half

Go to any track meet and watch the 10,000. How many water stations do you think you'll see? "Want" and "need" are not synonymous terms.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Go to any track meet and watch the 10,000. How many water stations do you think you'll see? "Want" and "need" are not synonymous terms.

On very hot days the organizers may, I repeat may, set up a sprinkler or have someone with a hose to spray water on runners if requested.

While I and others may comment on how we used to run marathons, even in the heat, with no water or aid stations back in the day, that shows it was possible een if it wasn't wise. That was also in ignorance of the need for hydration and its importance. Pop running mags and gurus have brainwashed us into believing a set of basic rules that have some basis in fact, but have been tossed around so much, misused, abused, and twisted (like needing hydration in a 5K or the 10% rule), that they've almost becoome useless except as a starting point to correct misconceptions.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So at what point is hydration "needed" during a run? Ever?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So at what point is hydration "needed" during a run? Ever?

When you get thirsty. That may sounds sarcastic, but that's what most recent studies have shown. Drink when you're thirsty. Mild dehydration of 1-2% of body weight loss through perspiration is not going to hurt you and will have minimal impact on performance. It's when you get up to 3-4% and more that it becomes a problem. Keep in mind there is also a limit on how quickly you can absorb fluids, so drinking more will just have it sloshing around in your stomach.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

It does seem there are two schools of thought, forgetting about the 5k example but consider a marathon. Most of what you read these days will state you should drink x ounces of water per y minutes or miles, relating to temperature, body weight, intensity, whatever. This school states you should drink water/gatorade at a certain frequency; if you wait till you're thirsty it's too late to counteract the effects of insufficient hydration.

The other school I have been seeing more of recently is exactly "drink when you're thirsty".

For anyone who's still following this thread - comments?

Dave

happylily

It does seem there are two schools of thought, forgetting about the 5k example but consider a marathon. Most of what you read these days will state you should drink x ounces of water per y minutes or miles, relating to temperature, body weight, intensity, whatever. This school states you should drink water/gatorade at a certain frequency; if you wait till you're thirsty it's too late to counteract the effects of insufficient hydration.

The other school I have been seeing more of recently is exactly "drink when you're thirsty".

For anyone who's still following this thread - comments?

I've trained myself to not rely so much on hydration and fuel during my training runs. To do that, I wait as long as I can before stopping for water. I've gone from 7-8 miles in the beginning to being able to do 20 miles without any stopping for hydration. Of course, I'm not talking about summer temps, here. But even in warmer temperatures, I'm able to last quite a long time. In a race, it's different. I want to drink before I feel thirst. Just a few sips is enough. 4 or 5 times in a marathon. Usually after the 10th mile. I don't even feel thirsty at that point, but I make a point to drink anyway. I've made the mistake of waiting until the 16th or 17th mile before, when I was already thirsty at that point, and the finish of that marathon was disastrous... It was a 30F day that day, which shows that we need to drink even in colder temps.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

flarunner

I've trained myself to not rely so much on hydration and fuel during my training runs. To do that, I wait as long as I can before stopping for water. I've gone from 7-8 miles in the beginning to being able to do 20 miles without any stopping for hydration. Of course, I'm not talking about summer temps, here. But even in warmer temperatures, I'm able to last quite a long time. In a race, it's different. I want to drink before I feel thirst. Just a few sips is enough. 4 or 5 times in a marathon. Usually after the 10th mile. I don't even feel thirsty at that point, but I make a point to drink anyway. I've made the mistake of waiting until the 16th or 17th mile before, when I was already thirsty at that point, and the finish of that marathon was disastrous... It was a 30F day that day, which shows that we need to drink even in colder temps.

Agree with the lily. I did a 16 mile run this morning in 67* and 90+% humidity and didn't stop once for water. But during a race I'll take a bit of water, if for no other reason than to wet my mouth and throat.