Beginners and Beyond

Sunny Sunday (Read 40 times)

Coastal

Docket:  Sure hope it isn't a bug that's getting you down.   You're damn tough.

ROS:  I notice little difference running 5 or 6 days a week.  On 7 days I just ran a recovery day.  Just ease into the sixth day and see how it feels.  Your iAT might complain at the added stress though so be sure to take it easy at first.

JayB:  What happened to the ankle?

4 miles --  sort of.  The Y is evaluating two different treadmills and is inviting people to try them out and write an evaluation.  Tried a Life Fitness machine.  Pretty nice but it seemed complicated, or too complicated for me.  For some reason it kept dropping the speed to 4.5 mph.  Restarted it several times and tried different settings but it kept doing it -- has to be operator error.  Fortunately, the person using the other machine that is being evaluated (a Precor) finished up after I did a mile and I was able to switch for the last three miles.  It had pace instead of mph and a lever for speed and another for slope. 

RunningOnSand

Docket:  Sure hope it isn't a bug that's getting you down.   You're damn tough.

ROS:  I notice little difference running 5 or 6 days a week.  On 7 days I just ran a recovery day.  Just ease into the sixth day and see how it feels.  Your iAT might complain at the added stress though so be sure to take it easy at first.

JayB:  What happened to the ankle?

4 miles --  sort of.  The Y is evaluating two different treadmills and is inviting people to try them out and write an evaluation.  Tried a Life Fitness machine.  Pretty nice but it seemed complicated, or too complicated for me.  For some reason it kept dropping the speed to 4.5 mph.  Restarted it several times and tried different settings but it kept doing it -- has to be operator error.  Fortunately, the person using the other machine that is being evaluated (a Precor) finished up after I did a mile and I was able to switch for the last three miles.  It had pace instead of mph and a lever for speed and another for slope. 

That Life Fitness machine sounds annoying as all get out. Glad you were able to hop on another one so quickly. Yeah--you know my Achilles battles all too well so that's sort of the main thing I had been wondering about. I'll for sure take it easy if I decide to add in a 6th day.

oldfartrunner

Damaris: Sorry about your race, but you are pretty tough not to quit.  I would have.

Nice LRs in the freezer everyone!  Sounds like Baboon has the highest IQ.  ...Crazy mileage CY,  and I thought Berto lived in Jersey.  Nice PR KC!   Like them Precors Coast, that's what I ran on back in the day.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I ran 5. Legs felt kind of sluggish. It's warmer, (22 I think) but the wind sucks. Just under 42 miles for the week, highest since the marathon and first time doing 6 days a week.

Are you locked into a 7 day training cycle? If not, going to a 10 day cycle with 2 days off or alternating weeks of 1 day off with 2 days off, i.e. a 14 day cycle with 3 days off, could help.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

So the discussion of going from 5-6 days per week--assuming it's adding an extra day of easy mileage, how's it for recovery? It's a huge change in terms of days off - running 5 days a week you're always getting a couple days off per week, so running 2 or 3 days in a row before your break. But jumping up to 6 days of running obviously you're running 6 consecutive days. Is it that much harder on your body? I'm thinking specifically of me with my "overuse injury" (Achilles). Wondering if I'll ever get back to running 6 days per week. I've been running mostly 5 days per week since May, with a very few 3 or sometimes 4 days per week. 

Everyone's different & every injury's different. You'll just have to see how your body reacts. But certainly a lot of people find that a short easy run is just as good for recovery as a rest day. Should help if you've done it before. Since coming back from injury, I went straight back to 7 days, although short & slow. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not.

Dave