Beginners and Beyond

How many times did/would you run the same race ? (Read 156 times)

Would you ask a golfer how many times they would play Augusta?

Dave

Hip Redux

It really depends. There are a few that are close and well run that I will continue to do. There are others that are just a PITA and are good for a one-and-done (hello, Warrior Dash, I'm looking at you). Dave - There's a women's-only run in July that the first time I did, I crashed and burned. Tried to tackle it the next year - same thing. DAMMIT. It is always SO hot and SO humid that day, too. I think it took three tries to come out of it with a good feeling. So now we'll see what this year brings... maybe I should have quit while I was ahead....

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'll be running the Evansville Half Marathon for the 3rd time this year, I'll probably run it every year as I don't have to pay for a hotel or any traveling expenses. I'll most likely run the YMCA 10k every year in August (unless they change it back to September and get rid of the 15k), and the 15k just started last year in September so this year will be my 2nd time. Off the top of my head, those are the main 3 I know for sure that I will happily repeat. Hopefully they'll have some more nighttime trail runs and I'll do those every year if I am not doing another.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

cmb4314

Assuming that I feel like I'm back in decent running shape by then, I will probably do the Monster Dash HM here in MN this year, and I've done it the past three years straight (though, the course was completely different on the first year than on the other two). It's local, requires very little effort or planning on my part to get there, is well organized, and is usually perfect weather. Going to be hard to not want a PR this year since I've PRed at it all three times I've done it, but I don't think I'll be any shape to do so this year. Will be a nice fitness indicator, though.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

ry8564

I've run MCM 10 years in a row and every year I run into people who have run it many more years than I have. It used to be my local race, but now that I live in the Midwest, the race is a good excuse to go visit friends still in DC.
            Better I Leave

I haven't been running that long, but I have done the Oakland Running Festival's HM twice so far and will probably make it an annual event for me going forward.
              daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Probably our local spring half marathon or 5K...it's a labor of love put on by my local running club, so I can't help but support it year after year since I started running in 2006. And if I could afford the travel expense every year, I'd run Hatfield and McCoy over and over again...that is seriously a must-do for everyone at least once.
                Gray Runner

Running Bear

Meh, my adhd will only let me run a race twice, then it's time to move on. Waaay too many races in this world.

Upcoming races:  
                  Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
                  Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
                  Sweetwater 50K 4/12
                  Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
                  Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
                  H9 50 mile 8/9
                  Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
                  Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
                  Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
                  Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20

SheCan

I do Christmas and my birthday every year, why not certain races? Some I thought I'd do always, but then grew out of. Some are too hard on the body, need a lot of training, so I may or may not do them. It depends, if I'm still liking a race, it's at the right time, I'll redo it if I liked it, but I'm not very religious about anything, not even religion.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

CeeDotA

Haven't been running all that long, but I've run a couple of races twice already now. I don't know that I'll hit those races up another time. All depends with time of course. I figure there's got to be something to really make me want to a race more than a couple of times.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

Walk-Jogger

I've done the Bloomsday 12K in Spokane, WA about 16 times now since I first ran it 1983. Repeating the same race is a good way to track how my running has progressed or regressed over the years. We also have a local early March half-marathon that I first ran in 1983, and I've probably run it 6 times since then. It's flat, fast and not very crowded. The weather can be sketchy however.

We have a few other local early season 5k and 10k races that I've done several times in recent years. Again, it's a good way to track my running progress or lack there of from one year to the next. 

In general if I have a good experience at a race, I'll make an effort to run it again the following years.

Retired &  Loving It

Mostly harmless

I've run the Frederick Half Marathon 3 times in 4 years.  It was my first HM and I love it. It doesn't hurt that the start line is a 20 minute drive from my house.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Robert31320

Team TJ

I have only one race that I have duplicated so far.  There are a couple others coming up later this year that I will be duplicating.

as long as I can, I will be running the Savannah River Bridge Run annually.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Would you ask a golfer how many times they would play Augusta?

+1

The following I would continue to race annually:

The Peachtree Road Race - a tradition with my son. Plus two small 5K races that benefit programs for disabled adults.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

I ran the Cambridge CityRun 5-Miler and the Newton 10K for the first time each last year. I ran them again this year, to see how different my time would be. (I began running half a month before last year's Cambridge CityRun.)

I ran the Jerusalem Marathon for the first time this year. I plan to do it again in 2014. The course is just breathtaking.